Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 12:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Criticizing the military is vastly different than criticizing the troops. You have every right to criticize any leadership decision, whether by the military or by civilians. However, as you should know, it is not the troops who make the decisions. Soldiers obey lawful orders, regardless of how they may personally feel about them. Which makes anyone who criticizes the troops the equivalent of a Village Idiot. Not smart enough to comprehend how the military functions, and has utterly no clue about the chain of command.

It is not a valid question. It is a moronic question that amply demonstrates a complete lack of understanding about the military and their purpose.

Americans are not scared to criticize the military, it is just that the overwhelming majority of Americans are smart enough to know that it is stupid to criticize those executing lawful orders. Criticize the leadership if you must, but do not demonstrate your stupidity to the world by criticizing the troops.
I'll criticize soldiers too. In a heartbeat if they screw up.

What are they...gods that are above any scrutiny just because they took an oath?

Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'll criticize soldiers too. In a heartbeat if they screw up.

What are they...gods that are above any scrutiny just because they took an oath?

Nope.
You claim to have served in the military, but somehow have completely forgotten that soldiers are duty bound to execute the lawful orders given them. I am beginning to seriously doubt you have ever been near a military base. That is not something anyone who has actually served in the military simply forgets.

As long as the soldiers are complying with their lawful orders, your complaints are not with them. Or are you not smart enough to figure that out?

Old 07-07-2014, 12:40 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Yes, I am better. Yes, some people intoxicated by nationalism may kill me. So might any random maniac. I am still better.

No, you're not.

You're just selfish.

We all have to deal with the reality that not everyone in the world plays by the rules.

I enlisted in the US Marine Corp in 1981 knowing that I might be called upon to kill someone I have no quarrel with and who may have no issues with me, but there is no other way to defend a free nation than to follow the orders of the civilian government in charge of the military.

Determining whether they are right or wrong is the business of the voters.

Last edited by momonkey; 07-07-2014 at 12:48 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 01:28 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
No, you're not.

You're just selfish.
Yes, in the same way breathing is selfish.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:31 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
You claim to have served in the military, but somehow have completely forgotten that soldiers are duty bound to execute the lawful orders given them. I am beginning to seriously doubt you have ever been near a military base. That is not something anyone who has actually served in the military simply forgets.

As long as the soldiers are complying with their lawful orders, your complaints are not with them. Or are you not smart enough to figure that out?
I love how you pivot to the "they were following orders" conversation. Thats not what anyone is talking about. You're just trying to change the conversation into it.

Troops get criticized for generally not following orders. Or doing something truly incompetent.

Same with cops.

To quote you:
"Or are you not smart enough to figure that out?"

Old 07-07-2014, 04:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I love how you pivot to the "they were following orders" conversation. Thats not what anyone is talking about. You're just trying to change the conversation into it.

Troops get criticized for generally not following orders. Or doing something truly incompetent.

Same with cops.

To quote you:
"Or are you not smart enough to figure that out?"
That is precisely what is being discussed, but the OP is not smart enough to know that soldiers follow the lawful orders of their superiors, while COPs have no orders. COPs just enforce the law, whenever it suits them. Also, it is not enough for a soldier to merely "follow orders," they had better be "lawful" orders. COPs do whatever they want, whenever they want.

If a soldier shoots a dog, it had better been part of their Rules of Engagement or he may face discipline. COPs shoot other people's dogs on a whim, for a lark. If a soldier shoots an unarmed innocent bystander, they WILL be disciplined. If a COP shoots an unarmed innocent bystander, their union pats them on the back for a job well done.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:

Nevermind my bonafides. Couldn't care less about your personal opinions of my service. Even if i'd never served, i'd STILL criticize individual soldiers if they screw up.

You don't follow illegal lawful OR direct orders regardless of the rank of the person issuing the order. And if you carry out an illegal lawful or direct order, you're just as culpable as the one issuing the order.

If you knew a damn thing about the military, you'd know that. Obviously, your stint in the Cub Scouts didn't prepare you for this conversation. Leave this to the guys like myself that actually wore the boots.

We executed many Nazi 'SOLDIERS' for carrying out direct orders from Hitler.

Should they have avoided criticism and scrutiny because they just carried out direct or lawful orders?

This dude...pretending as if he knows something about 600-50. Get a clue before flapping your gums.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:28 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Politicians and Multi-National Corporations hide behind the troops and say you can't criticize them because they don't want the public to see behind the facade they've created.

I don't agree with criticizing the troops because most of the time they signed up honorably to risk their quality of life and sometimes even their lives for the American people at whole.

We should be criticizing our Puppet Politicians that love war but have never served and the Multi-National Corporations that buy them to put our troops in harms way for their own private monetary gain-mostly Oil and War Corporations but also Global Banks.

WAR IS A RACKET
-Major General Smedley Butler

Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,371 times
A cops total job description is to go to war against American citizens!

Old 07-08-2014, 03:15 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,204 times
I think it is acceptable to criticise the military. The British and US Military were heavily criticised over their treatment of foreign prisoners in Iraq and Afghanistan and have been criticised in relation to friendly fire incidents or even innocent civilian deaths.

To suggest the military is beyond reproach is a very dangerous principle, they should be fully accountable like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies