Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why would you need a voting ID if you have state ID to begin with? The only state I'm aware of that was issuing a "voting id" was PA and that was to address the concerns over the BC requirement. You only needed a SSN and some other minor documentation like a utility bill.
I think the catch was if you are eligible for a state ID you were ineligible for the "free" voter ID card.
Every state requiring a government ID to vote is now offering voter ID cards.
TX, MS, TN, GA, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Nope....
Point out the relevance then. Everybody already know that you need ID to board a plane or get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think the catch was if you are eligible for a state ID you were ineligible for the "free" voter ID card.
Every state requiring a government ID to vote is now offering voter ID cards.
TX, MS, TN, GA, etc.

Point out the relevance then. Everybody already know that you need ID to board a plane or get a job.
So, you have to have an ID to do everything else...except vote....you see nothing wrong with that?

Hell even most every other country has to have some form of ID to vote.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, you have to have an ID to do everything else...except vote....you see nothing wrong with that?

Hell even most every other country has to have some form of ID to vote.
I don't see your point. You don't have a right to board a plane or work for an employer, those are priviledges.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:40 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
There is no catch, you were ineligible for a free ID if you already had an acceptable form of ID in which case you don't need a free ID. PA charges for their ID's as do most states but that fee is waived if you need it for voting. For example if you were a college student that has established residency in PA without a license etc., if you had a college ID you could use that to vote and would be ineligible for the free ID you need to get into the bar .

Old 07-06-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
There is no catch, you were ineligible for a free ID if you already had an acceptable form of ID in which case you don't need a free ID. PA charges for their ID's as do most states but that fee is waived if you need it for voting. For example if you were college student without a drivers license that has established residency in PA, if you had a college ID you could use that to vote and would be ineligible for the free ID you need to get into the bar .
I'm not talking about PA though.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about PA though.
I think you are mistaken then, I haven't heard anything even remotely close to that.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I think you are mistaken then, I haven't heard anything even remotely close to that.
I'm not mistaken, but I don't remember which state it was.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not mistaken, but I don't remember which state it was.

That really makes no sense, who wouldn't be eligible for a state ID other than those without a BC? It would be a poll tax and certainly been found to be a poll tax in court. My guess is someone was very confused about the PA law and completely misinterpreted it.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
That really makes no sense, who wouldn't be eligible for a state ID other than those without a BC? It would be a poll tax and certainly been found to be a poll tax in court.
That's my point, though most of the voter ID cards require a BC, everyone is eligible for at least a state ID.

Quote:
My guess is someone was very confused about the PA law and completely misinterpreted it.
Nobody is talking about PA.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
I don't see your point. You don't have a right to board a plane or work for an employer, those are priviledges.
Where are these people living? Where are these people working?

You basically need an ID to live, even if you get food stamps...guess what...ID...

Job ID..place to live...ID..

Are these people living in the woods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies