Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:19 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Why do you assume gay people don't have kids the conventional way?? You know, all the oppression gays grow up with, they feel no other choice but to be compelled to at least attempt a heterosexual relationship. Years ago, people felt no other option and many of those children who were born are grown, and the results are in. They turned out quite well, and often a bit more objective and compassionate in their thinking. Also, some gay couples want children who are biologically theirs; they have friends of the opposite sex, and have no problem making em. A lot of straight women don't just like gay guys, they really like them...
I didn't make a judgment about gay people, I made a judgment about the study.

Quote:
The research was based on data from the Australian Study of Child Health in Same-Sex Families, which involved input from 315 same-sex parents and a total of 500 children.
Children in same-sex parent families scored roughly six percent higher than the general population on measures of general health and family cohesion, according to the research.
The population of gay parents will definitely be higher in the proportion of adoptive parents than the "general population," and a valid study should have corrected for that or proven that it was not the case for their sample.

That does not imply that all gay couples are adoptive.

But in the first place, this study involved too small a population to have drawn such conclusions. There methodology is also questionable as to what in fact was studied. From the website FAQ:

Quote:
The study began by inviting participants to complete a questionnaire. The questionnaire was available online or sent by mail for those who prefered this.
Most people consider same-sex families to be families where both parents are of the same sex, for example a lesbian couple or a gay male couple. For the purposes of this research same-sex families will include any families where at least one of the parents is same-sex attracted. This is so we can capture the full range of families where parental sexual orientation may be an important issue.
A point that may or may not be relevant is that this is not a peer-reviewed study--it's the coursework of one PhD candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Kids do need both male and female role models, but those role models are not only the parents. They are neighbors, teachers, friends, extended family members, and many others who live in the community.
That doesn't happen so much in America anymore. It was more true in the small-town South that I grew up in, but not much today...not even in the small-town South.

It does still tend to happen in Hawaii, where multi-generational homes are common, grandparents have a major role in child-rearing, and kids are often adults before they know for sure which are actually uncles and aunts and which are just close friends of the family.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm quite aware that in plenty of heterosexual parents, the male/female don't always take the strictly mother/father femenine/masculine roles. But more often than not, they do. My dad never cooked, cleaned, changed a diaper, put a band-aid on a boo-boo or did anything outside of his masculine role.

Okay, so based on your own father you assume that a basic stereotype must be accurate. It seems like youre still living in the 1950s based upon your assumption of male/female relationships. I am in my early 30s and I dont know a single couple in my age group who fits into your "Leave It To Beaver" type paradigm.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:31 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No. It is absolutely untrue about single-parent homes that kids are "more likely than not to end up just as fine." There are decades, and decades, and decades of data proving that children from single parent homes are more likely to have more problems than "than the traditional mom/dad household."
Oh...because I grew up in a single parent home with three other siblings and I turned out just fine. Joined the military, did my time, got out, went to college, graduated as Valedictorian, and now I'm a game developer.

That proof means absolutely nothing to me.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I agree, but the sad thing is it now seems like organizations like the American Psychiatric Association are too afraid to dare publish or promote any study that doesn't portray homosexuality in the most positive light.
It "seems" like they're too afraid? What credible studies would you like them to publish?

Regardless of whether or not they publish a study, they are not the final word, so we are all free to believe whatever we want to believe in the end.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

Wow, so another thread dedicated to the notion that gay equals superior, not only are their kids no worse off, but they are actually better off, and healthier.
Hey, it is a notion progressives want to force upon us all; do you want the blue or red pill?

Old 07-08-2014, 03:55 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Kids do need both male and female role models, but those role models are not only the parents. They are neighbors, teachers, friends, extended family members, and many others who live in the community.

I think someone once famously said, "It takes a village". And she was right.
This.

THe "mom and dad" trope is outdated, with studies that prove that children raised in a same sex household will find the opposite sex role model outside of the home.

Hence why they grow up just as well adjusted as those raised in a "traditional" home.

Again, the science is there.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So you are suggesting the infection rate of HIV in straight ppl is about the same as in homosexuals?
So you're perfectly fine with lesbians?

Old 07-08-2014, 04:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
If your in a small village in Africa where that is a societal norm. America's societal norm is based on the primary family unit being a couple and since 90+ percent of the couples in this country are Heterosexual that is the default norm.
Yes, of course heterosexuals are the norm, but nontraditional families have been growing for decades. Extended family and community are growing in importance for everybody.

Family structure in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2014, 04:32 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I didn't make a judgment about gay people, I made a judgment about the study.

The population of gay parents will definitely be higher in the proportion of adoptive parents than the "general population," and a valid study should have corrected for that or proven that it was not the case for their sample.

That does not imply that all gay couples are adoptive.

But in the first place, this study involved too small a population to have drawn such conclusions. There methodology is also questionable as to what in fact was studied. From the website FAQ:

A point that may or may not be relevant is that this is not a peer-reviewed study--it's the coursework of one PhD candidate.
Like straights, gays all over the world are increasingly turning to surrogacy over adoption. If that option is not legal or considered morally acceptable in their own countries they travel to the United States, India, Ukraine, and some Asian countries. Gay Australian men and couples have been going to India and the United States for surrogates for years. Thus one as well would be interested to see a break down of the above numbers. Lesbians in particular would skew data since they require only sperm to become parents, and that is easily enough gotten.

Gays that can afford surrogacy (many plan and save for such a service) choose so for the same reasons as straights. They want a child that is biologically related to at least one man (if a couple) or totally if a single. Also the process is more certain than adoption especially when done in the United States.

Few countries allow gays and lesbians either married or singles to adopt children. The largest sources of the most highly desired children (white infants) such as Russia and many Eastern European countries do not allow gays to adopt.

Surrogacy OTOH is a commercial private contractual transaction. Once the infant is born absent serious legal challenges to the suitability of the "paying" parent or parents, the child is theirs end of story.

Coming to the US for a baby and womb to carry it | CapeCodOnline.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies