Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

My contribution to my former employer's group plan substantially increased every year in the 80's, 90's and early 00's. We then switched to my husband's employer's group plan and guess what? The premiums continued to increase each and every year.

His employer does however, allow their employees to earn credits towards premiums by choosing and demonstrating healthy lifestyle choices, loosing weight and keeping it off, walking at least 10,000 steps a day, having an annual physical and so on. Guess they figure those who embrace healthier lifestyle choices stay healthier and have fewer claims.

Healthcare costs have been rising all over the world, all along, too, just not as much as they have in the US.
Hospital trade associations, big pharma and medical manufacturers cannot easily buy a seat at the table as they have done for more than 60 years , in the US.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:30 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,180 times
Ah yes, wonderful Covered California where I am only authorized to go to one emergency room in my 40 mile area.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:36 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
The ACA will continue to prove to those paying attention conservatism's rejection of objective reality.

I mean remember when no one was gonna sign up because no one wanted the ACA? Don't hear that lie anymore.

Remember when the ACA was going to prove too expensive so no one would buy it? Don't hear that lie anymore.

Remember when more people had lost insurance than gained it because of the ACA? Don't hear that lie anymore.

Remember when it was very few uninsured people were even buying on the exchanges? Don't hear that lie anymore.

Remember the story that very few people would pay their premiums? Don't hear that lie anymore.

Remember how the ACA was in a death spiral and doomed to failure? Don't hear that lie as much. These are conservatives after all.

Essentially the new fact free conservative lie is in the future in the future it will be worse. The present doesn't count with knowable facts no longer counts for ACA analysis or fantasy projection from conservatives. Now, It's all in the future.

The future rate shocks that won't be here next year based on reality based reports. It's the future costs not based reality based reports about the present.

conservatives continue to drift further and further away from reality.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:37 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/ny...=13369726&_r=3
Quote:
Some New Yorkers are in sticker shock after receiving notices from their insurance companies saying that they have asked for significant rate increases through the state’s health exchange next year.
The exchange, which has prided itself on being affordable, is now facing requests for increases as high as 28 percent for some customers of MetroPlus, a new entry to the individual insurance market and one of the least costly — and most popular — plans on the exchange this year.
First Obamacare Premium Notices For 2015 Show Double Digit Increases - Forbes
Quote:
The first Obamacare rate increases for 2015 have been posted on-line. The figures come from two states, Washington State and Virginia, which posted the proposed rate increases for their exchanges on-line. In Washington State, the enrollment-weighted average rate increase is 9.6%. In Virginia, it’s 11.7%.
AMAC: Obamacare Increases Insurance Rates And Decreases Economic Growth Prospects - Top News - InsuranceNewsNet.com
Quote:
"Some lucky policyholders will see health insurance rate increases of only 10%, more or less. Those who aren't so lucky will see hikes of 15% and 20%. And then there are the really unlucky ones who will have to swallow surges of 25% or more for coverage."

Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Of course it went up. But it went up AGAIN and when I LOSE my healthcare insurance DUE TO OBAMACARE, if I choose to buy it again, it will go up again. But I'm supposed to because po useless folks are getting a free ride with subsidies. And you don't expect people who are doing the subsidizing to look at the welfare subsidy crowd with disdain?.
How many times do you need to be told that you buying insurance does not subsidize the policy cost of another?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This is false. Pre Obamacare NYC health insurance was $1K/month for a policy that offered any hospital coverage. Post Obamacare the same policy was around $3-$400. Everyone else wasn't so lucky, but New Yorkers benefited greatly.

" Some New Yorkers are in sticker shock after receiving notices from their insurance companies saying that they have asked for significant rate increases through the state’s health exchange next year.
The exchange, which has prided itself on being affordable, is now facing requests for increases as high as 28 percent for some customers of MetroPlus, a new entry to the individual insurance market and one of the least costly — and most popular — plans on the exchange this year."

Old 07-08-2014, 01:50 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
“I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increases. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes.” – Barack Hussein Obama, Sept. 12, 2008

“If your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not a single dime.” – Barack Hussein Obama, Feb. 24, 2009

Hope and Change.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-09-2014 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: flaming

Old 07-08-2014, 01:51 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The ACA will continue to prove to those paying attention conservatism's rejection of objective reality.
My insurance bill isn't reality? So I don't have to pay it because it's not real.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:53 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
This is false. Pre Obamacare NYC health insurance was $1K/month for a policy that offered any hospital coverage. Post Obamacare the same policy was around $3-$400. Everyone else wasn't so lucky, but New Yorkers benefited greatly.
So all of the articles I posted are untrue and all of the people quoted are lying? If anything, the New York Times has a liberal bias so why would they lie about this?

Also, your statement does not make sense considering that premiums will vary from one policy to the next and from one person to the next. When you say that "NYC health insurance was $1K/month and is now $3-$400", I am just left scratching my head wondering what policy are you talking about and for whom. Also note that the article I posted is talking about the premium increases that are yet to come.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:56 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Sounds like you have a really ****ty provider. Mine went up maybe 20 bucks. Maybe you should shop around. Try www.healthcare.gov
It was supposed to go down...rememebr...guess not...

Remember Obama promising to reduce premiums $2,500 per family? Ha! ObamaCare will jack up premiums 4

Of course you don't.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies