Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of people who get pregnant before getting married?
I think less of them- sex before marriage is wrong 16 45.71%
It's OK because it is the 21st Century 15 42.86%
It's OK as long as it was a mistake and they were trying to have children before marriage 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,313,223 times

Advertisements

Just because the parents are not married does NOT mean they will not stay together for life and be great parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,889,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
We are truly a remarkable family. Without any supervision from the government whatsoever, we've all managed to make good decisions with stuff like when to have children, going to school, getting jobs, not being drug addicts, etc.

Not one out of wedlock birth in my family's entire history, and shockingly, no abortions were ever required to keep that streak intact. It's...why it's as if...nobody ever had to give us basic common sense. It's like we were...I don't know....born with it?
Yeah, my parents think the same thing about our family. They would be shocked to find out otherwise. The truth is, you have no idea if this is true or not, despite your attempts to paint your family as "holier than thou."

Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 AM

25,858 posts, read 16,565,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
Just because the parents are not married does NOT mean they will not stay together for life and be great parents.
Don't they become legally married after 7 years in the eyes of the law anyway? Common law marriage?

Or am I wrong?

Old 07-13-2014, 09:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,787,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Don't they become legally married after 7 years in the eyes of the law anyway? Common law marriage?

Or am I wrong?
I think common-law marriage is becoming a legal relic. But it is defined and regulated at the state level. Seven years was a common standard, but not universal.

Edited to add - here's a link - http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-s...-marriage.aspx

Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM

73,102 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Best way to prevent a situation where a shot-gun wedding is necessary: DO NOT HAVE SEXUAL INTERCOURSE BEFORE MARRIAGE. Wait until after the wedding, and make sure you and the person you want to be with really love each other and are of total commitment before getting married.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,420,633 times
Quote:
People are going to be offended by this, but of course you are correct. Just drive though Chicago or Cleveland or North Minneapolis sometime and see the results and the damage to society from out of wedlock births and absent fathers. The proof is right in front of them and they still deny it.
Bull. This isn't a phenomena located only in large urban areas.

Single parents do just fine in the suburbs and back country.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Or am I wrong?
It was a bit more complicated than that but most States have stopped accepting "common law" marriages.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,344,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Best way to prevent a situation where a shot-gun wedding is necessary: DO NOT HAVE SEXUAL INTERCOURSE BEFORE MARRIAGE. Wait until after the wedding, and make sure you and the person you want to be with really love each other and are of total commitment before getting married.
But...but...how will I know if I want to marry him?
I won't buy a car without test-driving it first.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:47 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
But...but...how will I know if I want to marry him?
I won't buy a car without test-driving it first.
This is the way I see it. If I wouldn't marry the person, I'm not having sex with that person. I don't see why sex is so important to the point where one might have it before getting married.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the way I see it. If I wouldn't marry the person, I'm not having sex with that person. I don't see why sex is so important to the point where one might have it before getting married.
REALLY ?? Are you a Virgin or perhaps Asexual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies