Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Has anyone thought about WHY all these Latino kids are being sent here?

What parent does this? ... EXCEPT if they are getting paid, or receiving some benefit to giving up their children.

Why else would parents send kids out like this?
College scholarships.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And, none of that (rapes) was happening in getting from point A to point B. There are no gangs in America What "jobs" do they plan on getting?

Certainly no fear of our government, I will give you that one.

I mean what other country would fly you around in planes and brand new buses and set you up.
We do not even do that for our homeless veterans who fought for this country and ARE CITIZENS.
Homeless veterans have programs that they can take advantage of and don't. That's a separate issue.

I don't blame these people for sending their children here. Even if the journey is perilous, it's still better than the conditions they left.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Why the US? There are about 20 LatAm countries for those "kids" to go to where the language is the same.
Those Central American nations not controlled by gangs also see an influx of minors refugees. Those nations do not have laws on their books requiring them to accept refugee children. The US does, going back to 2002.

As a parent I too would hope my children could reach the US instead of say Panama.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Over 65% of these kids are reunited with their parents/relatives here in the US.
They are hardly "orphans"
The law requires the US to locate relatives or put the minors into foster care.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:02 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Do you want some butter or a shake of White Cheddar powder with that

Fear of gangs does not qualify for refugee status.
Butter and garlic salt, thanks.

And neither you nor I determine refugee status. That's bureaucrats somewhere. However, I practically guarantee that whatever decision is made in this hot mess, you WILL be angry at Obama. Am I right?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
trafficking Victims Protection reauthorization Act of 2008 do not allow the US to automatically deport minor refugees arriving from non- contiguous countries..

There are also international laws regarding minor refugees.
Not automatic, but most of these children will NOT qualify for refugee status under the law.
I am for bringing in the International Red Cross to help relocate this children/young adults
back to their home countries. No reason the US taxpayer should be footing the bill for this
in its entirety.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They come here because they can.....as simple as that.
They did what you'd do in a desperate situation.
Quote:
Don't forget they did it legally

BTW, there were numerous jobs for them when they got here too. Though some were disappointed
about pay and such, and even the conditions of which they lived. Many even came over first and
went back to their home countries (years later) to bring their families AFTER they established themselves and their "legal" residency. The ones who did it legally had quite a bit of personal sacrifice.
"Legally?" So what? We had points in our history where we swung the doors open wide for certain groups. The "legally" argument is silly to me. If your situation is desperate and you need a place to go, you go where you can to make your situation better. Why should they care about the legality of it? I wouldn't care about that either, and neither would you. We all do what we have to do.

It's easy to cast judgement when you're already born in a first world nation.

And sacrifice? All people that uproot must sacrifice...not just European immigrants.

The rest of your post is romanticizing European immigration, and really, their stories are no different than anyone else's from other countries.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Has anyone thought about WHY all these Latino kids are being sent here?

What parent does this? ... EXCEPT if they are getting paid, or receiving some benefit to giving up their children.

Why else would parents send kids out like this?
Because the GOP tells them the border is wide open and Obama had rolled out the red carpet to invite them into free schools and health care. Such comments do nothing but encourage more illegals to try the crossing, and unfortunately many die in the process and those who succeed, end up being in US illegally. All the political BS does nothing but make the problem worse.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I know about Honduras.

They pay good money to coyotes.....then their are parents in Honduras who believed their children could stay in the USA.....looks like they are right......so more is on the way.
Looks like some are more knowledgable of US and international law than most US people.
The influence of organized religious missions in Central America may also be a factor.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Looks like some are more knowledgable of US and international law than most US people.
The influence of organized religious missions in Central America may also be a factor.
There are TV ads running daily....tell people if they can get in the USA....they have it made.

And they do have it better.

There is not just children that broke our laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies