Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 02:17 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is hard to believe there is any security on a border that allows 56,000 children to pass through without parents or identification. If we were to be found transporting a minor child over the border to another country I have no doubt it would be called kidnapping.
Well of course they do not "pass through". They are transported across the river where they are promptly arrested for illegal entry and sent to detention camps pending resolution of their case according to law. Do you propose the the Border Patrol shoot them while they are on the water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Serious. Drugs are the root of most of our problems in this country and the contagion from that has spread around the world. The wave of minors we are seeing is a consequence as well. Unless and until we get our drug problem solved, we can't expect crime here or abroad to abate much. The way to get rid of the problem is to get rid of the demand for drugs, focusing our efforts on the users and not the suppliers as we do now. If they won't quit with help, then they need to be eliminated from society.
I hope you never have a loved one fall to drug abuse.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, most want to obey the laws. Most don't want to be illegal immigrants and would much rather be citizens.
Sorry but illegal immigrant means they are not obeying the law. There is no way around that. It's like getting busted with a pound of pot and when they charge you with distribution, you say, well I really only wanted to smoke it myself. Doesn't matter the reasoning or even if it is a legitimate one. You'll still be charged with distribution.

So, Yes, all of them want to break the law because they just did.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:10 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You need to open your eyes and look around...........not to stare at MSNBC and CNN either which apparently you do.
LOL, do you believe it? How blind people are? A large part of the complexity of illegal immigration....

Old 07-11-2014, 03:17 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No, most want to obey the laws. Most don't want to be illegal immigrants and would much rather be citizens.
1. If they wanted to obey laws they wouldn't be now classified as "illegal immigrants".

2. If they have the thousands of dollars they are paying for passage through Mexico to the border, they have the thousands of dollars needed to apply for legal immigration status. Like thousands of people throughout the world who did that. Like I did that.

3. They may "much rather" be citizens of the United States, but that is not actually their choice. It is the choice of the United States.

4. Does that include those from the middle east who have also been crossing the border with South Americans? Do they also want to obey laws?

5. Most want to obey laws. Most isn't all. Most is most. Most is an ambiguous word that really has not measurable meaning. It means that some (another immeasurable word) do not obey laws. We can hope that the number who violently disobey laws is low. But ALL of those who have crossed the border have knowingly broken the law.

6. So what you wrote is a crock of sh*t.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:27 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Land mine the border?
The Border is the middle of the Rio Grande River (which constantly changes course with floods) - you would have to use underwater mines I guess.

It doesn't help much that the US Border Control is now stationed 50 miles North of the Border in the Rio Grande Valley area, which apparently - Obama did not know until he had his chat fest in Texas.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
1. If they wanted to obey laws they wouldn't be now classified as "illegal immigrants".

2. If they have the thousands of dollars they are paying for passage through Mexico to the border, they have the thousands of dollars needed to apply for legal immigration status. Like thousands of people throughout the world who did that. Like I did that.

3. They may "much rather" be citizens of the United States, but that is not actually their choice. It is the choice of the United States.

4. Does that include those from the middle east who have also been crossing the border with South Americans? Do they also want to obey laws?

5. Most want to obey laws. Most isn't all. Most is most. Most is an ambiguous word that really has not measurable meaning. It means that some (another immeasurable word) do not obey laws. We can hope that the number who violently disobey laws is low. But ALL of those who have crossed the border have knowingly broken the law.

6. So what you wrote is a crock of sh*t.
They actually are in a strange legal state. They are not criminal and have not broken any law. But they are not legally here either. Once on US territory and making a claim for asylum they are permitted to be here until they are heard in court and legally deported. And the view of some experts was that many of these children may actually have a good enough claim to stay.

Most could never be admitted to the US except for a claim of asylum. And they really can't make that claim without getting here first. So this is actually there only hope for legal admittance to the US.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They are transported across the river where they are promptly arrested for illegal entry and sent to detention camps pending resolution of their case according to law.
I heard/read they are released and told to "report" to court which they never do.
So I am wondering, which is it. Do they stay in detention camps or are they released?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The Border is the middle of the Rio Grande River (which constantly changes course with floods) - you would have to use underwater mines I guess.

It doesn't help much that the US Border Control is now stationed 50 miles North of the Border in the Rio Grande Valley area, which apparently - Obama did not know until he had his chat fest in Texas.
Border Patrol operating some miles back from the border is standard practice and has been so for many years. They work choke points rather than attempting to staff vast lengths of desert with low incidences.

It is nothing new and is actually a perfectly rational strategy. Even if you vastly increased the size of the BP you would still station many away from the border. The object is to catch illegal crossers...not make a political statement.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:41 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,496,731 times
"why we should just allow the immigrants to come in on trial citizenship for two years."

Not fair, they should have to get in line. Since most of them disappear, I'm not even sure if they want citizenship. We already have a large group of Mexicans that don't care about citizenship, they just want to come and go. I wonder sometimes if we aren't just over playing the path to citizenship stuff. A better work program might work better. I really don't know, it's mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies