Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,731 times

Advertisements

BTSilver, you believe? Go find some data. Here, I'll give all of you an example of how you do this.

Stop-and-Frisk Data | New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) - American Civil Liberties Union of New York State

2014 the arrest rate for stop and frisk was 19%. That's nearly 1 in 5 of the people they stopped were guilty of something. That's a tad bit more than your 3%. In fact, there wasn't a year of less than 10%. That's pretty damn high to me. Is it worth it, go do some digging and see if there's any evidence of the impact on the violent crime rate.

In terms of it being unconstitutional, the courts didn't squash the policy and they're the ones who decide that statement.

In terms of what Knopp said, it's off-topic and isn't really pertinent to the stop and frisk policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 08:34 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Stop and frisk is simply unconstitutional. You guys do know that right? I believe they got like a 3% arrest rate meaning 97% of the people stopped and frisked were completely innocent.
*You guys*? I noted that you can't just stop and search people because you want to.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:36 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,119,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ho hum, there's a cost to willfully ignoring some realities, in the Bronx that cost is often a human life.
State Sen. Ruben Diaz blames ending stop-and-frisk for increased crime rates - News 12 Bronx
Maybe he should be more concerned with the root causes of the violence instead of simply the symptoms.

Lazy ass. He'd rather jeopardize our rights than come up with a legal solution.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The blame lies in the 95% unemployment rate, among blacks in the city.
Yep.

It's been that way for years after the manufacturing jobs left a lot of our city centers. Instead of more jobs they pushed drugs into the communities and instead of being offered opportunities blacks were denied opportunities.

We're simply seeing the repurcussions.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:38 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,833,729 times
i stop whining about stop and frisk when whites stop whining about the tsa.

the op should also be thankful for the reduction of stop and frisk in nyc because as a black african he would be at the top of the list for profiling.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:39 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
BTSilver, you believe? Go find some data. Here, I'll give all of you an example of how you do this.

Stop-and-Frisk Data | New York Civil Liberties Union (NYCLU) - American Civil Liberties Union of New York State

2014 the arrest rate for stop and frisk was 19%. That's nearly 1 in 5 of the people they stopped were guilty of something. That's a tad bit more than your 3%. In fact, there wasn't a year of less than 10%. That's pretty damn high to me. Is it worth it, go do some digging and see if there's any evidence of the impact on the violent crime rate.

In terms of it being unconstitutional, the courts didn't squash the policy and they're the ones who decide that statement.

In terms of what Knopp said, it's off-topic and isn't really pertinent to the stop and frisk policies.
'i believe' didn't stand up very well against actual data, did it?..

Old 07-09-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"Sometimes we don't want to hear the truth... It is our black and Hispanic people who are the ones committing the crimes," he says.

This may be true. There are few unwilling to hear that. Mr Diaz doesn't want to understand the truth that you can't just stop people on the street and search them without a reason.

There was a bunch of white's down on Wall Street that committed crimes and were allowed to get away with it also. Do you accuse me of being off topic? I'm not. It's all related.
Lol.

We can't even stop them for investigation, let alone "search em"

Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i stop whining about stop and frisk when whites stop whining about the tsa.
Generalize much? I complain about both and I'm white.

The Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity : Whistle-blower Cop Describes Stop-and-Frisk, Corruption at NYPD

Not that I want you to stop whining (your words) over this.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:43 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,101,805 times
Not surprising and IMO there is a direct correlation between ending S&F and the increase in crime in NYC as of late.

Diaz is widely considered to be a DINO (Democrat In Name Only) ... probably one of the more conservative Democrats in Albany.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Stop and frisk is simply unconstitutional. You guys do know that right? I believe they got like a 3% arrest rate meaning 97% of the people stopped and frisked were completely innocent.
It's not unconstitutional in fact it is constitutional. A very liberal judge ruled some aspects were unlawful but she was unusually sanctioned by a higher court for basically being so transparently biased. If the city went through with an appeal good chance her entire verdict would be tossed out.

The city could do stop and frisk today if it chose to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies