Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:54 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times

Advertisements

The system wants their cut. The Feds will probably create all new bureaucracies and educational programs about use and abuse that will of course have infinitely growing budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:57 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Really now? So you support continuing to waste tax payers money and valuable resources on a failed war on weed, by prosecuting, and locking folks up (depending where, and how much they have on them when caught) over possession, consumption or cultivation of a plant that was used for 1,000 of years until a bunch of whiny corporatists and bureacrats got together to ban it, because they feared losing money? No I'm sure those of us who support legalization (whether we partake or not) are QUITE focused, and realize the immorality and the hypocrisy behind prohibition of cannabis!
\
Exactly! I don't even smoke MJ as I prefer alcohol, but I don't want to waste my money on something as silly as MJ.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Agreed.

Anyone can grow it themselves. No need for stores, taxes, regulations.

I imagine if this was the norm it would have little to no monetary value. People would just trade different strains with each other if they wished to sample something different.

Too many prohibitionists who love their nanny state to ever have this become a reality, though.
People can also brew beer, make wine, and distill spirits at home. To varying degrees these activities are regulated. That the regulations are typically pretty loose for personal use just shows how long these products have been legal.

Pot is still illegal according to federal law. So any changes in the direction of legalization will be incremental.

Are you surprised by this?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:27 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If you want to buy marijuana now you have to go to the black market and there is no guarantee that you are getting what you think you are getting. Plus, the drug dealers aren't going to care about your age, so minors can get it pretty easily. Regulating pot lets the state set age, supply chain/access restrictions and set control standards. When you walk in to a licensed CO MJ dispensary you know what you are getting (no rat poison in your pot) and you know the consumers meet a certain standard (age, residency, etc.).
If marijuana is legalized, how exactly does that put Joe Dealer out of business? He already has an established supply and client base, and can easily undercut the government price.

Quote:
Another benefit of regulation is you take all the MJ drug money away from the Mexican cartels by prohibiting sellers from buying from the cartels.
I'm not sure if you are keeping up with current events, but it always has been illegal to buy from Mexican cartels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
People can also brew beer, make wine, and distill spirits at home. To varying degrees these activities are regulated. That the regulations are typically pretty loose for personal use just shows how long these products have been legal.
Actually, home distilling is illegal across the majority of North America. It's called "moonshine" for a reason.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Pot is still illegal according to federal law. So any changes in the direction of legalization will be incremental.

Are you surprised by this?
Brew beers and make wine yes. Please do. It's a fun hobby, though you likely aren't saving a dime by doing it yourself.

Distill...no.

And you don't want to anyway. Not only is it difficult to make a drinkable product -- not just high alcohol but something worth sipping, it's downright dangerous if you do it wrong. Like 'go blind' or 'crazy' wrong.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
If marijuana is legalized, how exactly does that put Joe Dealer out of business? He already has an established supply and client base, and can easily undercut the government price.

I'm not sure if you are keeping up with current events, but it always has been illegal to buy from Mexican cartels.

Actually, home distilling is illegal across the majority of North America. It's called "moonshine" for a reason.
No it puts them out of business because they do not undercut the price of legal pot. They can't afford to.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:45 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
\
Exactly! I don't even smoke MJ as I prefer alcohol, but I don't want to waste my money on something as silly as MJ.

I would rather smoke bud than drink alcohol, and should have that choice.. I get some wicked hangovers from that booze..

Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
If marijuana is legalized, how exactly does that put Joe Dealer out of business? He already has an established supply and client base,
Regulation. You regulate the sellers to make sure they aren't the cartels or buying from the cartels. You require sellers to check ID or lose their license. Why would anyone buy an unknown quality from a street dealer when they could buy a known quality from a dispensary.

Quote:
and can easily undercut the government price.
That must be why Americans are still getting alcohol from the cartels and black market dealers. Oh wait, they're not. Also, there is no "government price", just a legal market price. Obviously, if the government tax rate causes a higher price than the black market then people won't buy from the legal market.

Quote:
There is no law that prevent me from buying anything from the cartels, but there is a law that prohibits me from buying certain items. If you legalize pot then you can have a regulation to prevent purchase from the cartels. Now marijuana is illegal to begin with and that illegality is what creates a high price, which is what makes Cannabis a desirable product to sell. The cartels aren't interested in selling alcohol, bananas or avocados, but they used to sell alcohol - in fact that's what they started off with, but they switched to drugs after prohibition ended.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why can't we just legalize it?
You mean like tomatoes?

Old 07-09-2014, 11:14 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,929,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The system wants their cut. The Feds will probably create all new bureaucracies and educational programs about use and abuse that will of course have infinitely growing budgets.
Very true. Look at the govt patents related to cannabis.
U.S. Government owns the patent on cannabis cures...

This appears to be a topic of interest, as well. Think Monsanto was barking up this tree with GMO.
Marijuana Patents, Motorola, Moroccanoil : Intellectual Property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies