Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Bill Cosby and Oprah are famous. And who says you have to be rich or middle class in order to have a job? Why shouldn't everyone work?

And btw, Oprah doesn't need anyone to hire her. She runs her own stuff. Bill Cosby, same deal.
You understand perfectly what I'm saying. Educated, articulate, neat Black people are in high demand. Uneducated, low skilled, ebonics Blacks are not. It's class, not color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 03:08 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
You understand perfectly what I'm saying. Educated, articulate, neat Black people are in high demand. Uneducated, low skilled, ebonics Blacks are not. It's class, not color.
Actually, Black unemployment rates, at every education level, are higher than that of Whites or other groups. Blacks with college degrees have unemployment rates as high as Whites with only a high school diploma, and much higher than Whites with a college degree.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Can you document that?

The Professor, Economist & Political Commentator Dr. Walter Williams says that until 1960, Blacks were employed at the same or higher rates than Whites, not lower. I don't know where he gets this data, but he's fairly high profile & has been making this claim publicly for years with no one ever challenging him on it so I presume he's right.
Black Unemployment by Walter E. Williams on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

Then we implemented the Minimum Wage to protect White, Northern, Union members from being undercut by Blacks & Asians who were willing to work for lower wages. We know historically the Minimum Wage is a tool used by racists to keep minorities out of the work force (South Africa under Apartheid is another prime example). Today though, many Blacks favor the Minimum Wage because they mistakenly see it as a benevolent tool to help them. On The Historically Racist Motivations Behind Minimum Wage - Forbes

Watch what happens to to Black unemployment numbers when we raise the Minimum Wage again. Why stop at $10 an hour though, make it $15 or even $20, that should REALLY help low skilled Black workers.
The only thing this tells me is when employers felt the crunch of economics, the Blacks got let go first. Even if minimum wage was a major issue, Blacks still get let go first. It is historically common for Blacks to get hired last and get fired first. The question is this. Why are Blacks the first to get let go when economic prospects gets bad?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
There is something else to consider. Even with the breakdown by criminal record, another thing to look at is this: What percentage of the unemployed(by race) have criminal records? What percentage of unemployed Blacks have criminal records? What percentage of unemployed Whites have criminal records?
Valid point..

Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Nobody believes you.
You speak for everyone? wow I missed the vote. Who votes that Hadoken will speak for everyone? Kindly send me a link to that election and the results.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Valid point..
Having a criminal record doesn't help, especially with certain jobs such as teaching and being a police officer. However, there is more to it than just a criminal record.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:

I agree with you to a point. Of course most employers want someone highly educated, and articulate, a go getter, and hard worker.

And though you say the demands are high if the person is black and educated, articulate, go getter, hard worker. I say that. The same can be said for anyone of any color applying for a job

But I do get your point.

I have good friends who are black and exactly that, extremely educated, degrees up the ying yang, started their own business, are highly successful, and live In the most beautiful area., And own beautiful homes. They worked for where they now are, never playing the victim.

Or believing that the white race owed them, they are wonderful articulate educated, good personality, and I love them. They are very kind and gracious, and not everyone these days is like that.

If black unemployment is so bad, why don't the black community, hold Obama responsible. We know that illegal employment is up. Save a buck, hire an illegal!

Old 07-12-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
If black unemployment is so bad, why don't the black community, hold Obama responsible. We know that illegal employment is up. Save a buck, hire an illegal!
Then we would also have to blame every President going back to Reagan. Reagan started the whole amnesty stuff. Actually, Black unemployed reached 21% in 1983, before Reagan even signed his amnesty bill.

Even with illegal immigrants deported, there is still one other thing to consider. Alot of employers don't want to hire people with criminal records. There are many Blacks who get turned down for jobs because of that. And it doesn't end there. Some managers do not want to hire Blacks, believing that Blacks will only cause trouble. This means many Blacks get subjected to racial discrimination this way.

Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Then we would also have to blame every President going back to Reagan. Reagan started the whole amnesty stuff. Actually, Black unemployed reached 21% in 1983, before Reagan even signed his amnesty bill.

Even with illegal immigrants deported, there is still one other thing to consider. Alot of employers don't want to hire people with criminal records. There are many Blacks who get turned down for jobs because of that. And it doesn't end there. Some managers do not want to hire Blacks, believing that Blacks will only cause trouble. This means many Blacks get subjected to racial discrimination this way.
But do you remember in 0/9 I have the tapes, so yes I know what Obama said. That under his leadership, black employment would rise, and black unemployment would fall. He did say that, and that he would see to it that on a whole unemployment under his leadership would drop drastically. He honestly did.

So many took Obama for his word, maybe not other Presidents, but many did believe Obama for what he said. Hold him accountable, this is here and now.

I would think him being the first black President, that under his leadership, he would work hard to see that black unemployment under his leadership, will drop

I have always been for everyone who wants to work, more power to you, I am a go getter and have always believe in that if you want something, you have to work hard to get it yourself. My Parents taught me this. I do understand what your saying and agree with much of your post. Prove people wrong, show them what you got, no matter who they are.

Bet when Obama came on the scene, you thought things would be much better for the black community, did you not! Hold him to this, he said he would make it better but he has not.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Really? Put it back in the deck. Some blacks career planning include rap star, basketball star, football star. When you appear for a job interview with an angry and confrontational attitude, speaking ebonics, and dressed like a cast member of a rap video,...you're less likely to get a job. It's bad when blacks in school study hard are accused of acting white and are tortured by others of their race. Those who don't act in such ways are far more likely to get a job. True, there are cases in which they not being hired is about race, but not as often to account for the wide gap.
What survey did you source to determine that the career aspirations of blacks is limited to sports an entertainment?

Do you know any blacks? Or is it that Rush Limbaugh (such an expert) provides you with this data?

Blacks with college education have unemployment rates equivalent to whites with only high school. the same 2X rate when compared to white college grads.

Now are you going to tell us that these blacks, who have spent time studying, and have thousands of dollars in college loans, will show up dressed as you describe?

Why don't you admit that whites are the ones responsible for most hiring. That people hire those who they know, or who are referred to them, and since white people almost never have black friends, they aren't likely to have too many blacks to refer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies