Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:51 AM

7,512 posts, read 11,322,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why is black unemployment higher?

1. Black-Americans don't own enough businesses that employ multiple or large numbers of people.
According to this economist blacks can reduce the black unemployment rate just by spending more of their money with black owned businesses.

(This is from 2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUPG37ha70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:57 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,355,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
professor gates? sounds made up. I've never heard of him, so those big bad right wing morons couldn't have been speaking that loudly.
professor gates, I think its louis gates, he has that show on PBS, finding your roots, something like that. Its a show on genology. its pretty good, he s a smart man.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,355,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not seeing that. Going by the numbers, the majority of African Americans live in blue states:

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations
a lot of those percents are wrong, according to the census

Atlanta black population is 61%
NEW ORLEANS black population is 60.4 %

Old 07-14-2014, 01:14 AM

88,726 posts, read 44,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
a lot of those percents are wrong, according to the census

Atlanta black population is 61%
NEW ORLEANS black population is 60.4 %
Population percentages are frequently meaningless. For example, 70% of 100,000 is less than 35% of 1,000,000... even though 70% is a higher percentage than 35%.

That's why it's important to go by the African-American population NUMBERS. Going by population numbers, more African-Americans live in blue states.

List of U.S. metropolitan areas with large African-American populations

Old 07-14-2014, 01:05 PM

84 posts, read 122,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
And you've had a Black President for six years now!

Herman Caine was much ridiculed for being head of Godfather's Pizza--but he got there through his own merits. He took a failing pizza chain and turned it around. Before that he did the same thing with the Philadelphia Burger King franchise.

Exactly right. The franchisees still talk highly of him.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:18 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,492,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Regarding SNAP benefits, close enough... 69% of Black adults have never received food stamps.

The same stats for other demographic groups:

White: 85%
Hispanic: 78%

Republican: 90%
Democrat: 78%
Independent: 83%

The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients | Pew Research Center

Wrong. 23.6% of SNAP recipients are identified as "African American, not Hispanic."
http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...cteristics.pdf

Yet, they are only 13.2% of the total population.

The same stats for other demographic groups:

White, not Hispanic: 62.6% of the total population, 37.6% of SNAP recipients
Hispanic or Latino: 17.1% of the total population, 9.1% of SNAP recipients

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Here is the rub. SNAP benefits are highly skewed towards working people. Now If I suggested that the minimum wage be increased you wo8ld scream murder.

Its that simple. Either increase the minimum wage, or allow low paid people access to SNAP its that simple.

Welfare is what NON WORKING people get. the vast majority of blacks are not in this category despite the racists who think otherwise.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It happened at night. I would want my neighbors to call the police if they saw someone breaking into my house, even if it was me. Better safe than sorry. If memory serves Gates was equally at fault and then became argumentative with the cop.
Henry Louis Gates arrest controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obama hasn't helped the majority of Americans. He has helped his buddies and a lot of corporations. Now he is focused on helping illegals. Criminals.... Obama is a dismal failure by any Measure and it is a shame. Idealist meets reality and the idealist lost.

I wonder. Most neighbors know what those who they live next door to look like, whether they are friends or not. So why would a neighbor not know what Gates looked like. He is short, and walks with a limp, and clearly doesn't fit the age demographics that burglars fit.

So why would any one think that Gates looked like a burglar? A burglar is fit, because they usually want to be able to escape if cornered. Does a man with a limp and a walking stick look like he can flee?

The cop is a liar. If he believed that Gates was in his own place, and looking at Gates one would think so, for the reasons mentioned above, why the demand to step outside? Why not a polite explanation that a neighbor saw him trying to get in, and mistook him for a burglar and so reported it.

Based on my experience with cops, he arrived with the usual arrogant attitude that many have when they see a black man, regardless of that black man's age and demeanor. Gates was perfectly correct that such behavior was only because he was black.

You really need to quit on this topic. If you are white you need to understand and admit that you have no idea what it is to be black in this country and so what you think of this is irrelevant.

Obama is called the Deporter in Chief. He has deported MORE illegals than any other president. This is a FACT! So how is he helping illegals. He even wants to send back kids whose lives a threatened by gangsters in their homelands, basically sending them to their DEATHS!

Last edited by caribny; 07-14-2014 at 06:33 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
professor gates, I think its louis gates, he has that show on PBS, finding your roots, something like that. Its a show on genology. its pretty good, he s a smart man.

No being black he is a criminal unless proven otherwise, at least that is what some think. A cop can arrive and be rude and Gates is wrong to react against that.........?

Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM

72,847 posts, read 62,306,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
No being black he is a criminal unless proven otherwise, at least that is what some think. A cop can arrive and be rude and Gates is wrong to react against that.........?
Actually, you may not realize how right you are. I remember one night I was at a restaurant. There was a man, who happen to be White, who happen to be quite drunk. He was a young, tall, muscular college kid. The officer told him to go home, seeing his visibly drunken state. This kid went on a rant, yelling at the officer, telling him that he was singled out for being White, and claimed he would talk to some Republicans in the morning. The officer just sat there and looked at him, didn't even flinch. I had to think about how that kid could basically walk away. And this was a public venue.

Gates Jr, however, was at his own home. A sober, 60 year-old man who is kind of small, and has to use a cane for walking. He's in his own home. This, vs an early 20's drunken, behemoth student. Gates got arrested. He didn't have to yell at the officer, but the officer's reaction was quite stupid. If I was that cop, I would have just walked away.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:15 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,476,052 times
In order to bring the employment rate of any ethnic group up, one must first instill into that particular ethnic group, the desire to work. That's just a basic principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies