Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 06:58 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times

Advertisements

One may be poor in terms of their economic standing but what is really saddening is the growing number of people who are poor in character, morals, and common courtesy to others.

People who treat public and private employees with great disdain often belittling them, swearing at them, and demanding immediate action because they are a customer, patient, taxpayer, etc is becoming ever more common in today's society.

It's not a political issue as there is blame to be shared on both sides of the line.

Substituting family responsibility with social programs is not going to solve the problem nor is taking on radical extremists threatening to destroy us.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 07:17 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Thumbs down lol- retail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm sure retail will never be outsourced to another country. Unless they close the stores and just deliver everything from warehouses to individual homes. Still, the people filling the orders have to be American...
retail and service jobs- if that is your dream for the furture of the US, that is a sad comment indeed.

Then again, all the illegals streaming in daily can take those unskilled retail jobs. This is what Bush and his cronies have wanted. They do not care that college graduates can no longer find decent paying jobs in this country.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:24 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Then again, all the illegals streaming in daily can take those unskilled retail jobs. This is what Bush and his cronies have wanted. They do not care that college graduates can no longer find decent paying jobs in this country.
If you're a college graduate and you're looking for an unskilled retail job, I think you attended a pretty bad college.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
No, that is not the case. And the subject at hand is not me; but our faltering economy.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:52 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It would seem that some expect that a auto mechanic should get paid as much as a brain surgeon -
I know some specialized diesel mechanics that make 3 times what a teacher makes. I guess we should penalize those blue collar people who put in the hours too.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
I know some specialized diesel mechanics that make 3 times what a teacher makes. I guess we should penalize those blue collar people who put in the hours too.
teacher salaries seem to vary a lot state by state. In my area a first year teacher will make around $27,500, but I don't know where that is in relation to other states/areas.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:26 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,404 times
Quote:
It would seem that some expect that a auto mechanic should get paid as much as a brain surgeon -
It only seems that way if you see the direction of the economy as a set of two black and white choices, where you have to latch on to either the Milton Friedman capitalism utopia or the Marxist "everyone's equal" utopia, with no possible grey areas in between the two.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:17 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
teacher salaries seem to vary a lot state by state. In my area a first year teacher will make around $27,500, but I don't know where that is in relation to other states/areas.
Which always makes me wonder why people choose to live where they do. Here in Texas, at least in the Dallas area, a teacher with 1 year of experience can make around $43,500. And you can buy a home for under $125,000 in a safe neighborhood... and a McMansion for under $225,000.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:10 AM

310 posts, read 1,196,709 times
A person can easily make 45,000 if overtime hours are available. Working 40 hours a week is for poor people. EW

Old 02-02-2008, 06:05 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
First off, everyone chooses their own professions. Prior to doing so, they should think, long and hard, as to what they want, personally and financially, in the future.

Your comments about teachers however is flat out wrong. Depending upon the number of years in, and the subsequent degrees, teachers can get into the 60's / 70's - not a fortune to be sure but, not what you describe.

It is all about choice.
My comment about teachers is not flat out wrong. I'm right here in the middle of it.

Here in Vail you're lucky to find anything for 200K and here's the salaries. I'm sure you can figure out what it comes to as your career ends. All of the schools here are rated highly by Arizona standards.

http://www.vail.k12.az.us/employment/07_08certifiedsalary.pdf (broken link)

My fiance teaches in a south Tucson District and the increases there are equally as minescule.

Everyone chooses their own career is simply another excuse to exploit people just because their profession doesn't involve tinkering with a computer or manipulating money. Instead of excuses, offer solutions. I suppose you don't even see a problem though.

Again I'm talking about making ends meet and a tiny amount for savings without breaking yourself or alienating everyone around you. I'm not talking about amassing a giant fortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies