Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

And if you're poor and can barely make ends meet, I'm sure that setting up a Corporation and paying the filing fees is certainly the first thing people think about.

</sarcasm>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:48 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And if you're poor and can barely make ends meet, I'm sure that setting up a Corporation and paying the filing fees is certainly the first thing people think about.

</sarcasm>
That's why I asked him to explain what he meant. Let people hang their own noose as far as ridiculous notions and kick back, and watch.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I said that I set up corps for each one - that does not mean others do -

Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
That's why I asked him to explain what he meant. Let people hang their own noose as far as ridiculous notions and kick back, and watch.
Let me be clear - hopefully so you can understand it -

You can purchase property - with no money, no credit, and nothing down.

Should everyone do this? Nope. One needs to be EDUCATED in the area.

But regardless - it can be, and is being, done.

Of this I can guarantee -

As a RE Broker for some 1000 agents, I see it everyday -

Perhaps you are simply unaware of this possibility -

Old 12-28-2007, 10:35 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
If you are connected you will never be poor. Centralized government, centralized banking make sure that only a select few escape the life most have of today. There will always be a certain "underclass" of the mentally or physically ill that cannot become wealthy. Yet today we see the results of undoing the great age of invention that was at least moving a significant part of the populace of industialized nations to a comfortable "middle class". Humans think like animals and want to be part of a group. In every group there is a leader, or leaders. Therefore the poor will always be among us. As for the rich, once you're in, you are in. Increasing Government controlled by the well-connected assures that the majority of us will never experience such luxury. Even if the whole earth was nuked and repopulated by the highest quality intellectual and moral individuals, in succeeding generations it would return to the class structure we have now.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:37 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me be clear - hopefully so you can understand it -

You can purchase property - with no money, no credit, and nothing down.

Should everyone do this? Nope. One needs to be EDUCATED in the area.

But regardless - it can be, and is being, done.

Of this I can guarantee -

As a RE Broker for some 1000 agents, I see it everyday -

Perhaps you are simply unaware of this possibility -
I've heard of this.

It's called "a job." You purchase the property in someone else's name using someone else's money and someone else's credit. You get paid for doing all the work while someone else makes the profit from the investment.

It's the same kind of "job" stockbrokers have. They purchase stock in someone else's name using someone else's money and someone else's credit -- and someone else makes the profit from the investment while the stockbroker gets paid for doing a job.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:38 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Ha! This part of your post is quite funny to me since it's true! My last job was as a manager in what was basically a factory. I didn't know how to run any of the machinery but I learned how they operated, the principles behind the equipment, how to do set-ups, etc. I also learned what it took to fix problems (mechanical problems) and what all the secrets were (where things were hidden, like certain parts). Because of this, I was not an easy supervisor to work with a lot of times because I didn't buy the answer "I can't fix it." I would tell them how to fix it, then come back to see if they fixed it. If someone couldn't fix it, I'd get someone over there who could. I also quickly caught on to those who turned down the speed on the equipment, the ones who would let bad product go by -- the slackers who thought they could pull one over on me because I was a woman who never ran any of the equipment.

In all my years there, I never once ran a piece of equipment or fixed anything -- but I sat by diligently and watched others setting up, running, fixing -- and learned by watching. Fortunately, my shop foreman in the most difficult part of the shop was an absolute gem and taught me everything. We became good friends.

Unfortunately, I was so good at my job I became "the best person who ever held that position" and I was not offered any more promotions. I think I would have been better off if I hadn't been so good because I might have moved up the food chain. (I was continually given more money though, so that part was nice -- but I really got tired of the job.)

P.S. I've got excellent leadership skills. This was not my first management position where I was put in a job with less experience than everyone else -- and I've always done well because I put together good teams that work together well. Being a good team player can be EVERYTHING in a job.
UB50
We are not so far apart. A manager that actually takes the time to learn the process indepth? Takes the time to learn the mechanics behind the job? You are a rare gem indeed... Most managers where I work hide in their cubicals venturing forth only when absolutly nessasary. Not that I mind. I hate when someone stares at my back as I work. I want to scream " If your going stand there doing nothing, the least you can do is grab a broom and sweep the floor,hand me a wrench anything but do something besides stare at my back"
I have a very talented crew and our results reflect this. ORRRR when a manager will ask a question strait out of troubleshooting 101. I want to say oh gee this non college educated retard didnt think of that already. Some managers are masters of stating the obvious. Often I wonder if their parents realised they wasted thousands of dollars on that college degree. LOL
Leadership is the greatest challenge of all. I fancy myself a good leader. Navy trained and proud of it. My crew is sharp and commit almost no operational errors. We are the bench mark. On my line.
Back to why are people poor.
Often its that they simply accept their plight. No urge to change, in fact they fear change. No desire to expend more energy than the minimum. No not all but many.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:50 AM

194 posts, read 463,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I have noticed that many of the threads that are on this board, end up being rants against the less advantaged. For example, mention Hempstead or Wyandanch and you quickly have people going on and on about how horrible they are and about how all the people are welfare recipients. You get things like "If they can't afford to live here, they should move", "They should get themselves educated and get better jobs", etc.

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to have a thread devoted to this topic. Why are poor people poor? Are they lazy, stupid? Are they disadvantaged through no fault of their own? Is there a way out (not just for the exceptional few, but for all)? Do we have an obligation as a society to help? What are your thoughts?
Some people are poor because they're lazy. Stupid people can get paid if they have ambition. Some people are disadvantaged by being born into cycles of poverty whether because of race,geographical locale, whatever. But the one single thing that I see as the biggest contributor to poverty is the breakdown of the American family. I should know I've been a single father of three for six years now, and I just might make it over the poverty level for 2007. I work hard, I'm going to school to better my family's lot down the road, but I'm still poor. As a society, we have assistance to help people, but the people that don't work get enough from the gov to make ends meet, whether food stamps, cash disbursements whatever the case. I've never been they type to sit around, so I'm cursed with the title of being one of America's working poor. Hopefully my hard work will pay off. It's not like we suffer or anything, but technically we live below the poverty line. On the flipside, I know plenty of fathers who are poor because they're supporting themselves as well as paying child support for their children, who may or may not live in poverty as well. So many single parents face the burden of paying rent, utilities and then child care if they have the ambition to work or go to school. IMO the rearing of children in single parent households is the biggest contributor to America's poor community. The vast majority of my children's friends also come from single parent households (although I'm one of the few single fathers, which isn't all bad) And most of those are struggling like we are if not worse. Number two reason for poverty from what I see would be drug/alcohol abuse. It's just sad when some children grow up in households plagued with both

Old 12-29-2007, 01:01 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,662,427 times
First someone has to define what poor is.

Poor people are poor for many reasons. For me the most of the poor I see are those who are able to work but chose not to work and live of social programs. They inturn teach generations of kids that this is the way to go.
Kids see parents not doing anything to better themselves and do not see that there is life after being poor. You have to lead your kids out of poverty or they will never know what is out there.
Personally I have never seen a poor person who is willing to work 2-3 jobs to get ahead in life.
Everyone should understand that many poor people are followers, they are not leaders and therefore cannot and will not ever get out of poverty unless someone steps in and shows them the way to the end of the tunnel.
Unless you have health issues that keep you from working, there is no excuse for anyone to be poor. In most cases its your choice and you have to decide if you want to be poor or do something about it.
My boss came from a poor town and a very poor family, he tells me stories of how many kids shared oatmeal and ate mustard sandwhiches. A teacher told him once that you do not have to live like that, you need to get a good education and go after a college degree so you can get our of this town and become something, when you do you can help your family get out as well.
Today he is an awesome person who was raised dirt poor and has worked very hard to get his masters degree, earning good money to get his parents and younger siblings out of the poor towns and into better schools so they can have a future.
He is an example of what people can do if they work at it.
Many people work 2-3-4 jobs, why cant the people who proclaim to be poor do the same.
Welfare is easy to get if you know the ropes, dont kid yourself, these welfare generations know how to screw over the system to get what they want.
I am all for shutting down the welfare department and forcing healthy people to work. I am for helping people with healthcare issues who cannot support themselves.
I am for taking care of the elderly who earned their right to be taken care of when welfare takers get items our elderly have to do without.

It's called a JOB folks, get a job or two or three and you wont have to be poor.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:23 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
First someone has to define what poor is.

Poor people are poor for many reasons. For me the most of the poor I see are those who are able to work but chose not to work and live of social programs. They inturn teach generations of kids that this is the way to go.
Kids see parents not doing anything to better themselves and do not see that there is life after being poor. You have to lead your kids out of poverty or they will never know what is out there.
Personally I have never seen a poor person who is willing to work 2-3 jobs to get ahead in life.
Everyone should understand that many poor people are followers, they are not leaders and therefore cannot and will not ever get out of poverty unless someone steps in and shows them the way to the end of the tunnel.
Unless you have health issues that keep you from working, there is no excuse for anyone to be poor. In most cases its your choice and you have to decide if you want to be poor or do something about it.
My boss came from a poor town and a very poor family, he tells me stories of how many kids shared oatmeal and ate mustard sandwhiches. A teacher told him once that you do not have to live like that, you need to get a good education and go after a college degree so you can get our of this town and become something, when you do you can help your family get out as well.
Today he is an awesome person who was raised dirt poor and has worked very hard to get his masters degree, earning good money to get his parents and younger siblings out of the poor towns and into better schools so they can have a future.
He is an example of what people can do if they work at it.
Many people work 2-3-4 jobs, why cant the people who proclaim to be poor do the same.
Welfare is easy to get if you know the ropes, dont kid yourself, these welfare generations know how to screw over the system to get what they want.
I am all for shutting down the welfare department and forcing healthy people to work. I am for helping people with healthcare issues who cannot support themselves.
I am for taking care of the elderly who earned their right to be taken care of when welfare takers get items our elderly have to do without.

It's called a JOB folks, get a job or two or three and you wont have to be poor.
PREACH ON IT!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies