Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 05:23 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
The only way to become rich is by looking out for number one (themselves).
In our modern society this would be considered a healthy ambition, but if the Neanderthal man exhibited this behaviour humanity would have become extinct. Man is not build to survive the jungle on his own.
Nowadays this is not a concern anymore since we have vastly reduced the jungle, so the way of the tribe will eventually become lost to us.
Soon it will be every man for himself and the three musketeers will be hanged for being communist.
Firstly, man could and can survive on his own, then an now. Secondly the jungle continues and is more complex. Thank god for the "healthy ambition" which has developed the means to survive and to survive more comfortably. Those without such ambitions are fortunate that there are those who have the ambition and self-esteem which allows them to live as comfortably as they do and which provides the opportunities that they have. Unfortunately, many do not take advantage of these opportunities and instead villify those who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn
Quote:
Firstly, man could and can survive on his own, then an now.
Lol How would he procreate when he is all by himself?
And even if a man could survive all by himself, man as a species can't survive by only taking care of himself (which is what survival is all about).
All kidding aside, I'm just guessing here, but you never have been in the jungle on your own without a native guide and modern survival gadgets have ya? Nature doesn't care what you think or believe or what your political ideals are, it's pure the law of the jungle there.
Let me warn ya that idealists won’t survive the jungle, only pragmatists.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
I totally disagree with the above.

One can be "rich" (whatever that means) AND help others too. In fact - once one becomes "rich" it makes it that much easier to help others.

I know

Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
Highly skilled and out of work - Washington Post - MSNBC.com (broken link)

seems like the middle class is falling

Old 01-21-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
Posted by Originally Posted by Tricky D
Quote:
I totally disagree with the above.
So you disagree with me when I say that the only way to get rich is to buy for a nickel and sell for a dime?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday So you disagree with me when I say that the only way to get rich is to buy for a nickel and sell for a dime?
Tricky has got to the core of it, some talk of earning 'it' and being proud to have 'it' but the reality is they have acquired 'it'. Most that have acquired 'it' have pushed bits of paper from one side of the desk to the other, few got rich using hard work just, they used someone else's. But they would deny society.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday So you disagree with me when I say that the only way to get rich is to buy for a nickel and sell for a dime?
No, I disagree with your statement that the so called rich only look out for themselves.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No, that's not true either. The ultra-rich do pay considerably less per dollar of income now than they did when Bush was inaugurated, but the top 1% still paid an average tax of 21.39 cents on a dollar's worth of income in 2005. The top 5% meanwhile paid an average of 19.20 cents, the top 10% paid an average of 17.63 cents, the top 25% paid an average of 15.16 cents, and the top 50% paid an average of 13.45 cents. The top 100% (i.e., everybody) paid an average of 12.13 cents.
I was talking about the top 0.1%.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
No, I disagree with your statement that the so called rich only look out for themselves.
How else can you buy for a nickel and sell for a dime? If you do not make a profit you cannot become rich, so getting rich can only be about making profit.
The only way to make a profit is when you only look out for yourself. I mean lets be honest here, criminals are financially speaking the most successful businessmen simply because they only look out for themselves.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
The only way to make a profit is when you only look out for yourself. I mean lets be honest here, criminals are financially speaking the most successful businessmen simply because they only look out for themselves.
Quite obviously, you do not have any intentions of having a discourse about the main issue.

So, once again, those who are "rich" are more than willing and able, to help those less fortunate than they.

And, that is a fact.

I'm sorry you seemingly are unable to comprehend this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies