Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 07:56 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,690,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
I don't know but I remember my Dad always saying, " the rich get richer and the poor get kids." With 13 children in the house and a stay at home Mom my Father had to work harder than an ordinary man. We were not rich nor poor. We had cloths, toys, nice house by a lake,good vehicles. He was talented at fabrication and made stuff on the weekends. We were never on any kind of assistance and I don't remember ever seeing him miss a day of work.

My work ethics were learned from him. I graduated from High School but thats it. I bought my house when I 22 years old. I think if you work hard, stay away from drugs and don't let yourself turn into a drunk you can achieve a lot. I have had my share of hard times which I think makes you stronger. I've seen some wealthy people lose everything that they had and they just can't handle it. They cry like babies, if they had rich parents and they always had money, then its gone, now what to do? Most people just don't apply themselves, and some want to spend their time doing nothing. I don't think the working man should be responsible for a man or woman capable of working for themselves. EW
Congratulations. You are indeed an individual worth emulating, who has taken the initiative to realize the American dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:02 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
The rich get richer and the poor stay poor because rich people earn interest and poor people pay interest. Materialism and status drive many people into irresponsable spending and debt. Most people do not invest. Most, not all, rap music doesn't help much.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:37 AM

659 posts, read 1,373,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Congratulations. You are indeed an individual worth emulating, who has taken the initiative to realize the American dream.
Dream it might ultimately turn out to be.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
I don't know but I remember my Dad always saying, " the rich get richer and the poor get kids." With 13 children in the house and a stay at home Mom my Father had to work harder than an ordinary man. We were not rich nor poor. We had cloths, toys, nice house by a lake,good vehicles. He was talented at fabrication and made stuff on the weekends. We were never on any kind of assistance and I don't remember ever seeing him miss a day of work.
And how old are you?

I say that because of a very simple to understand reality.

A father can have a job as a middle manager with a job title called "widget overseer". He can save his money and after 5 years of vigilance, he is able to buy a 3 bedroom house, and take one two week vacation a year.

The father's children grow up. His son take the same job, at the same company. Yet not only can his kid not afford a house after 5 years in the same town but he can't afford a house at all.

In fact, if the father had to buy his own house today, he would be forced to move to a different neighborhood because even at his accelerated salary of a 20+ odd year employee, he could not afford to buy his own house, if he was starting without the compounded assets of home ownership.

The point of this example is to try to put forth, that times are different. The opportunities are not equal. Middle class opportunity has been steadily declining over the past 40 year period. If it is hard for the middle class, imagine how much harder with those not born into having the "right tools" for success.

Quote:
I have had my share of hard times which I think makes you stronger. I've seen some wealthy people lose everything that they had and they just can't handle it. They cry like babies, if they had rich parents and they always had money, then its gone, now what to do? Most people just don't apply themselves, and some want to spend their time doing nothing. I don't think the working man should be responsible for a man or woman capable of working for themselves. EW
I don't think hard times make people stronger. You either have the muster, or you don't. Being able to withstand it takes character, but I don't think it BUILDs character.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
The rich get richer and the poor stay poor because rich people earn interest and poor people pay interest. Materialism and status drive many people into irresponsable spending and debt. Most people do not invest. Most, not all, rap music doesn't help much.
If it is hard for you to maintain a minimum balance in a bank account, and you over draw your account on occasion, or go over your credit limit, a person with the least money actually ends up paying MORE for their checking account than a person with more money. The fact that the banking regulations allow banks to do that is despicable.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:45 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I say that because of a very simple to understand reality.

A father can have a job as a middle manager with a job title called "widget overseer". He can save his money and after 5 years of vigelance, he is able to buy a 3 bedroom house, and take one two week vacation a year.

The father's children grow up. His son take the same job, at the same company. Yet not only can his kid not afford a house after 5 years in the same time, but he can't afford a house at all.

In fact, if the father had to buy his own house today, he would be forced to move to a different neighborhood because even at his accelerated salary of a 20+ odd year employee, he could not afford to buy his own house, if he was starting without the compounded assets of home ownership.

The point of this example is to try to put forth, that times are different. The opportunities are not equal. Middle class opportunity has been steadily declining over the past 40 year period. If it is hard for the middle class, imagine how much harder with those not born into having the "right tools" for success.

I don't think hard times make people stronger. You either have the muster, or you don't. Being able to withstand it takes character, but I don't think it BUILDs character.
You are correct - times are different.

That said, it is not for government to create programs to "fill in the gaps" of that difference.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You are correct - times are different.

That said, it is not for government to create programs to "fill in the gaps" of that difference.

It's the governments job to ensure that special interests do not create conditions where those gaps continue to get wider. And if those gaps are wider due to "stacking the deck" legislation, then it is the responsibility a minimal standard that will prevent riots or government being capsized. And I do believe that giving more handouts in certain forms has a multiplier effect in a positive direction, not a negative. Spend money on subsidized housing and a person can spend their energy getting a better education rather than worrying about how to pay rent. Spend more money on education and a person can get an education rather than wonder if they will ever have the opportunity. Spend money on health care and a person can institute preventive care ensuring they can live productive lives.

Check out this link The sequential costs of poverty: what traditional measures overlook | Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare | Find Articles at BNET.com and read about "sequential costs" of poverty.

And all these same problems are faced by the the middle class as well, just in a smaller scale.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
It's the governments job to ensure that special interests do not create conditions where those gaps continue to get wider. And if those gaps are wider due to "stacking the deck" legislation, then it is the responsibility a minimal standard that will prevent riots or government being capsized. And I do believe that giving more handouts in certain forms has a multiplier effect in a positive direction, not a negative. Spend money on subsidized housing and a person can spend their energy getting a better education rather than worrying about how to pay rent. Spend more money on education and a person can get an education rather than wonder if they will ever have the opportunity. Spend money on health care and a person can institute preventive care ensuring they can live productive lives.
I'm sorry but, the government is not responsible for ones financial well being. They are not obligated for healthcare. They are not responsible for your rent etc.

The Government has gone far afield of what the Constitution provides for - and it is one of the problems this country has with its finances -

Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,130 times
It's privilege in whatever degree you have it.

Some people have LOTS of privilege. They are born into a rich family, they get a mammoth inheritance, they don't even have to work if they don't want to, they can go to any college they want, they have money to start their own business, they get money from their family if they want to buy a house, etc. etc.

Some people have SOME privileges. They are born into the middle-class (which is shrinking now), their parents paid for them to go to college or maybe they worked part-time as well, they have a roof over their heads, a decent neighborhood in which to live, clothes to wear, food on the table, a family car or two, etc.

Some people have ZILCH privileges. They are born into a poor family or to a single parent, they don't always eat 3 meals, they probably won't go to college, they have a hard time getting a decent-paying job without college, they might have to drop out of school and support the family, they may live in a dangerous neighborhood because they can't afford more, etc.

I never thought there was any "level playing field". Yes, some middle-class and poor CAN become rich. I'm just saying that most won't. Most people stay in their "class" throughout their lives, unless they go downward.

And, I'm not saying that money would make one person happier over another. But, I sincerely believe that it's 1000 times harder to "make it" if you didn't have certain privileges.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but, the government is not responsible for ones financial well being. They are not obligated for healthcare. They are not responsible for your rent etc.
Only if you are thinking in terms of penny wise and dollar foolish. Some investments are worth the pennies. It sure costs the gov't much less money to make sure a person is safe, secure, healthy and educated then the cost of crime enforcement, legal preceding, and incarceration. Not to mention that productive citizens with good earning potential have the ability to pay higher taxes and contribute to the betterment of society in a more substantial way than someone working 3 jobs to get by.

It's the difference between having short-term vision verses long-term visions.

Quote:
it is one of the problems this country has with its finances -
So let's stop spending 40 billion per year on Iraq. I'm sure our finances would be a heck of a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies