Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 12:46 PM

77,020 posts, read 47,402,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It was already paid for. There was money voted on in 2006 (I believe) to build a fence. Now all these years later, and Obama hasn't done his job. Which is to allocate those funds.
No, they authorized 600 mile of fence, which was built. Obviously it was not enough.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:47 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,626,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
When would E-Verify become mandatory? 5 years after the bill is passed and only for future employees. Why the delay? Why exclude current employees? Why give greedy employers a free pass?
I agree the GOP needs to put up or shut up, but lets not pretend that the immigration reform bill is a good bill or that passing it would prevent what we are seeing today.
Remove the bait and illegals won't waste their time or effort coming here. Put teeth behind the E-Verify and watch employers get rid of illegals before they are caught. There is no need for a huge bill that involves billions in pork. Smaller bills that directly target the problems would be more effective and a whole lot cheaper.
I disagree partially with your post. The E-Verify can be modified if the bill is brought to the floor. Conservative republicans can modify the bill to suit their agenda and send it to the Senate and then the ball's in their court.

no, piecing out an immigration reform bill is a conservative republican tactic that leads nowhere.
Let's just have a bill that builds a fence around the entire southern border and ignore the rest of the immigration problem.
No moderate, mainstream republican or Democrat is ever going to go that route.
It's like saying, "Give me everything I want, and forget about anything you want."
The rest of your post, I agree with.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,167,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If I understand you post correctly, you are discrediting three of the smartest, richest men in the world and telling me that they don't know what they are talking about?

I beg to differ. I think they are intimately involved with the situation and Sheldon Adelson is a Conservative Republican kingmaker who spent at least 50 million of his own money on the 2012 presidential election trying to get a conservative republican elected president. More than any other individual in the nation.
These men are rich, smart and concerned about the future of the nation. I think their words carry weight.
As I stated, when the conservative republican handlers tell the base it's time for comprehensive immigration reform, as they are sure to do, you like all the rest of the base will roll over like a two legged dog and blame Obama for stalling the necessary reform.
Which one of them has a loved one waiting in line for a VISA?
Which one them was displaced by illegal labor low balling wages?
Which one of them makes 50 grand a year or less and is watching illegals get a virtual free pass for crimes that would either see a legal resident jailed or fined into bankruptcy?
Which one of those three really feels the pinch of taxes? I mean really worries about coming up short, because they don't have the extra money to pay it?
They understand business and what will benefit their businesses, but they don't care a lick about this country or the common person. They care about their profits.
I agree with them. Congress needs to act. Put up or shut up. But rewarding illegals doesn't need to be part of any deal. What other crimes should we reward because it is inconvenient to prosecute?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not as stupid as your friends that you sit around and chat up. The authorization has long ago been signed as law. The community activist refuses to enforce them.
Which bill authorized the money to build the fence to seal the border?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I disagree partially with your post. The E-Verify can be modified if the bill is brought to the floor. Conservative republicans can modify the bill to suit their agenda and send it to the Senate and then the ball's in their court.

no, piecing out an immigration reform bill is a conservative republican tactic that leads nowhere.
Let's just have a bill that builds a fence around the entire southern border and ignore the rest of the immigration problem.
No moderate, mainstream republican or Democrat is ever going to go that route.
It's like saying, "Give me everything I want, and forget about anything you want."
The rest of your post, I agree with.
Lets see what E-Verify with teeth does. We have seen the effect of cities who cracked down on illegals. That is before Obama and company forced them to stop. The illegals fled. Imagine a nationwide crack down?
Let's see what a bill targeting a redundant overly complicated system does for increasing efficiency in VISA processing.
Lets see what a bill that targets the assets of illegals caught here illegally does. Seize those assets to help offset the cost of their deportation. Seize the assets of the employers. See how fast employment practices change. Hit the criminals where it hurts.
We wont need a 10 billion dollar fence if there is no incentive for illegals to come here.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because Governors can't just "activate the guard" on a whim like you seem to think.
And securing the border belongs to the Fed and the DOJ has already told Perry hands off..the border is a Federal matter.
Perry did ask Obama to activate the guard and send them to the border when Obama was in Dallas.
Obama said he'd think about it.

Seems that the ball is in Obama's court right now.

Texas Military Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perry said he does not want a fence. He does not seem to want anything but pass blame.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, they authorized 600 mile of fence, which was built. Obviously it was not enough.
Democrats Slow to Approve Funding for Border Fence | Fox News
US Security Fence Funding Plunges Under Obama
As you can see the fence was approved, but funding was cut.
A fence is a useful tool but expensive. Save money and Remove the bait.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Perry said he does not want a fence. He does not seem to want anything but pass blame.
Allow states to enforce the law. If the FED won't or can't, then allow states to do it for them. Does the fed force a town cop to release a drug smuggler because he violated federal law and it isn't his jurisdiction? How about a kidnapper? The peeing contest over whose job it is is crazy.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:00 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,626,026 times
Quote:
Which one of them has a loved one waiting in line for a VISA?
Which one them was displaced by illegal labor low balling wages?
Which one of them makes 50 grand a year or less and is watching illegals get a virtual free pass for crimes that would either see a legal resident jailed or fined into bankruptcy?
Which one of those three really feels the pinch of taxes? I mean really worries about coming up short, because they don't have the extra money to pay it?
They understand business and what will benefit their businesses, but they don't care a lick about this country or the common person. They care about their profits.
I agree with them. Congress needs to act. Put up or shut up. But rewarding illegals doesn't need to be part of any deal. What other crimes should we reward because it is inconvenient to prosecute?
Comprehensive Immigration reform will solve most of those problems.
I get it. You are against any amnesty, irregardless of time frame or penalties. Many are..........Most aren't.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Democrats Slow to Approve Funding for Border Fence | Fox News
US Security Fence Funding Plunges Under Obama
As you can see the fence was approved, but funding was cut.
A fence is a useful tool but expensive. Save money and Remove the bait.
And who authorizes funding again? The Congress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies