Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 02:50 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Arguments happen every day in this country....without violence. Over 8 million Concealed licenses in this country... do you think none of these people ever get into arguments? The folks that are shooting people are the ones carrying illegally.
I've told this story before but it is applicable here.

Right after I got my concealed carry permit, my wife and I were in a very minor fender-bender. Not really a bender but more of just a mark on the bumper. After pulling into parking lot, the other driver went from nice and polite to a major a-hole. He accused me of backing into him. Lying about the mark on my bumper. Wanting to sue him for injuries. It went on to the point that my wife was in tears. I never once raised my voice. I was polite to the point of using "yes sir" and "no sir". All I wanted to do was follow the law and exchange information which finally happened after about 20 minutes of "discussion".

When I got back in the car, my wife wasn't happy that I failed to respond in kind to the very angry man. I pulled up my shirt to show her my pistol and reminded her that it is my obligation to deescalate any confrontation. I would have walked away except that would have been leaving the scene of an accident.

I was able to buff out the mark with some rubbing compound.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:05 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

Right after I got my concealed carry permit, my wife and I were in a very minor fender-bender. Not really a bender but more of just a mark on the bumper. After pulling into parking lot, the other driver went from nice and polite to a major a-hole. He accused me of backing into him. Lying about the mark on my bumper. Wanting to sue him for injuries. It went on to the point that my wife was in tears. I never once raised my voice. I was polite to the point of using "yes sir" and "no sir". All I wanted to do was follow the law and exchange information which finally happened after about 20 minutes of "discussion".

When I got back in the car, my wife wasn't happy that I failed to respond in kind to the very angry man. I pulled up my shirt to show her my pistol and reminded her that it is my obligation to deescalate any confrontation. I would have walked away except that would have been leaving the scene of an accident.

You are absolutely right and a good example.
I carry concealed all the time, pretty much everywhere. I was extensively trained in all areas of weapons carry and use. Safety, accuracy, legal ramifications, and other areas. One thing that was impressed upon me and my class, by the instructor, was that I had the responsibility to de-escalate any non criminal situation, because I was the one who had the power of deadly force. I was also taught that in a public situation when others are involved, you let the armed robber have your cash and valuables rather that start a gunfight with a crowd of people in the space. If death is imminent from the attacker, then all bets are off, you fight to live.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Jim Jones -- a good guy with Kool-Aid decides to be a bad guy with Kool-Aid.

And whose fault is that? Is it Jim Jones' fault or is it Kool-Aid's fault?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Jim Jones -- a good guy with Kool-Aid decides to be a bad guy with Kool-Aid.

And whose fault is that? Is it Jim Jones' fault or is it Kool-Aid's fault?
Leo Ryan's fault.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:58 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Leo Ryan's fault.
Bingo! Triple, triple, diamonds!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 07:12 AM

671 posts, read 690,104 times
Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

Great post! Pretty much how I approach things as well.

The anti-gun fanatics keep on posting incidents...what about the incidents that have been deescalated? Obviously, they haven't read the articles I had posted...

The point is guns do NOT add to the homicide rate! It's the opposite.
The mental illness point is an entirely different and separate issue. Period.

-Dandiday

Old 07-16-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Great post! Pretty much how I approach things as well.

The anti-gun fanatics keep on posting incidents...what about the incidents that have been deescalated? Obviously, they haven't read the articles I had posted...

The point is guns do NOT add to the homicide rate! It's the opposite.
The mental illness point is an entirely different and separate issue. Period.

-Dandiday
Then there are the incidents that never make the paper or a police report. I've posted about 2.

My cousin-in-law was driving to work one night (OTR trucker) when he exited the interstate and stopped at a stop sign. He caught movement from the corner of his eye and reached for his pistol. When the guy opened the passenger door and the interior light came on, he saw nothing but the end of a .40 cal Glock. He politely said "wrong car", shut the door and ran off into the woods where he had come from.

My uncle-in-law (cousin-in-law's father) was filling up his car one night when he was approached by a man. The man pulled a knife slowly and asked in a menacing tone "Wanna buy this knife?" Uncle G replied "No. But I'll trade you." as he pulled a pistol from under his coat. The man changed his tone when he said "Man. I was just kidding." and ran off.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Arguments happen every day in this country....without violence. Over 8 million Concealed licenses in this country... do you think none of these people ever get into arguments? The folks that are shooting people are the ones carrying illegally.
Yes a rather large majority don't pull out their guns at the first confrontation but he have seen quite a few instances where people carry legally, the retired cop who killed a man in the movie theater in Fl., shooting several kids in a car also in Fl. I don't think you can trust many of the people out there carrying and they are licensed.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
But the problem is when someone suggests that those deemed unstable not be allowed to own guns the fanatics go crazy...
Those deemed unstable are already not allowed to own guns.

So did you have a point, other than insult gun owners?

IIRC, you claim to own a gun. If I'm remembering that wrong, ignore the rest of this post.

And don't try this "I own a gun" crap, either. People like you think you're somehow "special" and that you're the "good" kind of gun owner. Newsflash: We're all the same kind of gun owner.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes a rather large majority don't pull out their guns at the first confrontation but he have seen quite a few instances where people carry legally, the retired cop who killed a man in the movie theater in Fl., shooting several kids in a car also in Fl. I don't think you can trust many of the people out there carrying and they are licensed.
Are you sure you aren't projecting? Raging Against Self Defense: A psychiatrist Examines The Anti-Gun Mentality, By Sarah Thompson, M.D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies