Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Then there are the incidents that never make the paper or a police report. I've posted about 2.

My cousin-in-law was driving to work one night (OTR trucker) when he exited the interstate and stopped at a stop sign. He caught movement from the corner of his eye and reached for his pistol. When the guy opened the passenger door and the interior light came on, he saw nothing but the end of a .40 cal Glock. He politely said "wrong car", shut the door and ran off into the woods where he had come from.

My uncle-in-law (cousin-in-law's father) was filling up his car one night when he was approached by a man. The man pulled a knife slowly and asked in a menacing tone "Wanna buy this knife?" Uncle G replied "No. But I'll trade you." as he pulled a pistol from under his coat. The man changed his tone when he said "Man. I was just kidding." and ran off.
LOL, I love those kind of stories.

I remember hearing one a couple weeks ago where a crook pulled out his gun on someone and said "I bet ya don't have one of these"

Too bad for the crook, the guy was a legal conceal carry permit holder. He pulled out his gun.... don't remember whether or not he had to shoot or not.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:55 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Those deemed unstable are already not allowed to own guns.

So did you have a point, other than insult gun owners?

IIRC, you claim to own a gun. If I'm remembering that wrong, ignore the rest of this post.

And don't try this "I own a gun" crap, either. People like you think you're somehow "special" and that you're the "good" kind of gun owner. Newsflash: We're all the same kind of gun owner.
In the States that check into that area, like here in Texas, yes it is, but when one says all states should check for it some gun owners go ballistic and start screaming about their 2nd A Rights, always makes me wonder why that is. Why would I insult myself? Sorry to disappoint ya but there are many kinds of gun owners, some of the things I have seen on ranges and out on leases and private property done by so-called responsible guns owners would make your hair turn grey, if it is not already, so do not give me that BS that we are all the same, everyone is unique.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes a rather large majority don't pull out their guns at the first confrontation but he have seen quite a few instances where people carry legally, the retired cop who killed a man in the movie theater in Fl., shooting several kids in a car also in Fl. I don't think you can trust many of the people out there carrying and they are licensed.
Out of the millions of Concealed Weapons licenses, yes you will find a small handful of incidents, but they dont represent the masses. Don't you think that you would hear about these legal folks way more often if it were an issue? I train people to get their license. I train in self defense and firearm safety. I seldom have trained an individual that I had doubts about. The people that come to me do so because they want to be more responsible. They love their families. They come from all walks of life and they want to make personal safety their responsibility.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:23 PM

57,281 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Out of the millions of Concealed Weapons licenses, yes you will find a small handful of incidents, but they dont represent the masses. Don't you think that you would hear about these legal folks way more often if it were an issue? I train people to get their license. I train in self defense and firearm safety. I seldom have trained an individual that I had doubts about. The people that come to me do so because they want to be more responsible. They love their families. They come from all walks of life and they want to make personal safety their responsibility.
I am not generalizing but there are certainly enough incidents by legal gun owners. Surely you know some people that have guns that really have no business owning one just like the person mentioned by the OP. There are plenty of careless and angry people that own guns legally.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
I am not generalizing but there are certainly enough incidents by legal gun owners. Surely you know some people that have guns that really have no business owning one just like the person mentioned by the OP. There are plenty of careless and angry people that own guns legally.
I'm sure there are people that legally own firearms that probably shouldn't. Please don't confuse firearm ownership with the folks that have been finger printed, photographed, passed FBI background checks, taken classes, and passed firearm proficiency tests in order to obtain a concealed carry license. These are the folks that have taken responsibility to the next level. These are the people that have been taught to go out of their way to avoid conflict, and be situationally aware.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:36 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Last time I checked I am pretty sure that we have laws against murder in this country? Can you tell me how those laws helped this case?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Yes a rather large majority don't pull out their guns at the first confrontation but he have seen quite a few instances where people carry legally, the retired cop who killed a man in the movie theater in Fl., shooting several kids in a car also in Fl. I don't think you can trust many of the people out there carrying and they are licensed.
Quote:
you absolutely ARE generalizing when you say you cant trust many of the people that have the CCW licenses, and carry. there are something like 10 million ccw permits out there, and how many of those have illegally shot someone? what 10? 12? a very tiny percentage to be sure, and how many people do you see daily carrying concealed? probably NONE because the guns are concealed as they should be. so you trust far more people than you realize.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:26 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Your going to have to take that up with the State of Texas.... open carry is legal there. Having said that, I think they are hurting our cause.

I remember when I was young kid in the 80's, seeing shotguns on gunracks in the back window of pickups fairly common. Nobody made a big deal about it, it was just considered normal. Now a guy walking down the road with a rifle holstered over his sholder, people call the cops like he's running around with his penis hanging out.

I think our biggest issue is the hysteria of mass shootings.

If death is what people fear most, we should collectively be far more concerned about growing old or getting into a car, both are far more likely to kill us than a firearm.

Link:FastStats - Leading Causes of Death
Number of deaths for leading causes of death in US.
Heart disease: 597,689
Cancer: 574,743
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
Diabetes: 69,071
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364

Old 07-17-2014, 08:00 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you absolutely ARE generalizing when you say you cant trust many of the people that have the CCW licenses, and carry. there are something like 10 million ccw permits out there, and how many of those have illegally shot someone? what 10? 12? a very tiny percentage to be sure, and how many people do you see daily carrying concealed? probably NONE because the guns are concealed as they should be. so you trust far more people than you realize.
It's also a perception issue. When a concealed carry permit holder shot a guy over a parking dispute at a restaurant, it made the news cycle for days. Less than a year later, a permit holder removed a pair of misguided youth from the gene pool during an armed robbery. It was covered for about 30 seconds on the 10pm news. The only reason I heard about it, the good guy was an employee at a range I sometimes go to.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
I remember when I was young kid in the 80's, seeing shotguns on gunracks in the back window of pickups fairly common. Nobody made a big deal about it, it was just considered normal. Now a guy walking down the road with a rifle holstered over his sholder, people call the cops like he's running around with his penis hanging out.

I think our biggest issue is the hysteria of mass shootings.

If death is what people fear most, we should collectively be far more concerned about growing old or getting into a car, both are far more likely to kill us than a firearm.

Link:FastStats - Leading Causes of Death
Number of deaths for leading causes of death in US.
Heart disease: 597,689
Cancer: 574,743
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
Diabetes: 69,071
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364
Although I'm on the side of responsible gun owners(subject to reasonable restrictions), I must dismiss the fallacy that everything from autos to butter knives killing more than guns that the gun absolutists keep touting. Here is the actual truth. I suggest you look up the stats in your state and you'll find similar statistics.
Thanks for looking.

Arizonans more likely to die from guns than car crashes

Arizona is consistently one of the states in which more people die from gunshots than from motor-vehicle accidents.
Arizona saw 964 gun deaths and 872 automobile deaths in 2011. It had 931 gun deaths and 795 vehicle deaths in 2010; and 856 gun deaths and 809 vehicle deaths in 2009.
The numbers are significant because Americans are much more likely to be exposed to a car than a gun. Ninety percent of U.S. households own a car, while just over one-third of U.S. households own a gun.
Arizona had the third-highest per capita gun deaths, just behind Alaska and Louisiana, according to the council's analysis of data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ohio had the highest raw number of gun deaths compared with automobile fatalities among 14 states and the District of Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies