Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 PM

675 posts, read 543,962 times

Advertisements

What is the rule on this assuming you didnt know or there is no proof of you knowing?

You would have to have xray vision to know if some people you are in a car with have drugs on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
If drugs are found on a person, they're in possession of drugs.

If, as you're being pulled over, they were to throw a baggie out the window, or drop it on the floor of the car and you both denied that it was yours, you could both be charged with possession.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:56 PM

I know they "could" charge both parties.

Assuming one party admits it is theirs and the other had no knowledge than the unknowing party would most likely not be charged or convicted.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You'd probably be charged as an accessory after the fact and would have to hire a lawyer to try and prove you didn't know.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:35 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Dunno but back in the day, 82 or 83 when blow was the in thing, I had a sailing friend who´s brother had gone on a surf safari in his old VW and ended up in Peru. He live there a few years and eventually made a plan with my friend, he sailed down from LA in a 24´boat picking up his brother and sailing back with a bit of cargo. It was rather an adventurous trip, they had quite a few stories.

A while after he was back we were driving through LA with a borrowed boat on the way to a regatta in Marina Del Rey. I never really understood what was the big deal with blow is but I would do a line if you gave it to me. So my friend is drinking a beer as he is driving and gives me a little package so I can make a couple of lines for us. A cop watching the freeway from an overpass saw the beer. We get pulled over. I crumple up what I was holding and throw it under the seat. My friend does the same with his beer can. The cop searched the car for like 20 minutes looking for the beer can and overlooking the paper with the blow. The Coors can had found its way into a little nook and he could not find it, ended up giving up and letting us go.

We got to MDR pulled into the club and my friend opens the trunk and shows me what was back there, 2 kilos best Peruvian cocaine- I about cr*ped my pants.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:23 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Just watch an episode of "Cops". This scenario is covered at least twice an episode. What usually happens is, if the drugs are in the passenger's pocket, or if he claims the drugs as his, usually the driver gets a pass as long as he isn't stoned himself. If the passenger stuffs his drugs under the seat and then says "hey man, not mine" - guess who is going to jail first. The driver. You probably lose your car as well.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:36 AM

What about a with 4 guys and no one confesses to ownership of the drugs?

How would the court prove who the drugs belonged to to get a conviction?

I assume this is case by case and depending on a number of things. Prior history, jury / judge that day, etc.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
4 of you and no one confesses, more than likely all 4 go to jail/court until someone confesses and then the others are probably held with contempt of court and/or accessory' after the fact. Everyone is held accountable.
Each case is processed on it's own merits. A lawyer may have to sort it all out for you and it would be expensive.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:44 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
If you don't know, you don't know. It is common for one person in a car to have drugs on their person and only that person gets charged.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
I know of someone who got charged with possession, even though they didn't. It was a car of 4 college-aged boys. They were pulled over for a traffic violation. The officer said that he smelled marijuana and asked to search the car. The driver said "Sure, I have nothing to hide." (BIG MISTAKE!!!)

The one friend who they know smokes weed dropped the weed in the car before getting out. The officer found it and asked who it belong to. They all pointed fingers at the one weed smoker while he said it wasn't his. The cop took them all to jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies