Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:02 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
true, but kennedy graduated harvard when the requirements were tougher, just ot get in let alone graduate near the TOP of his class. bush was an average harvard student when harvard was still fairly tough to get into let alone graduate.

and if you had read one of the links i posted earlier in this thread, you would have noted that jfl was supposed to study at a london university but illness prevented that. in fact jfks educational career was full of starts and stop due to illness.
So further proof that obama isn't all that intelligent.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:36 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
a lot of these recent president have good handler, if they was out of the picture, some would show as bumbling idiots, Bill not smart but Hillary makes him look smart. Hillary could run rings around the last six presidents, and I don't even like her so that must be some type of comment

Old 07-13-2014, 12:48 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,241 times
There are many types of appitude or intelligence and a sucessful leader needs are fair amount in all of them to be a sucess. There is the iltelligence needed to be able to quickly grasp a situation and draw inferences from it, the intelligence to be able to see patners in things and to fill in the blanks or make correct guesses if something is absent, there is the intellience that makes one a student of the human condition and provide an edge when dealing or working with others you need to be able to communicate with many different people and be persuasive most of the time. One can go on but often we fing that few people score highly in all aspects of intelliegence.

Jimmy Carter was highly intelligent in the areas needed to be a great egineer or trouble shooter and he was a great negotiator being able to get Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat at Camp David to agree to a peace treaty that still survives today in the Middle East, to settle the festering problem of the Panama Canal Zone, and to complete the normalization of relations with China and the SALT II Treaty with the USSR which saw the first reductions in Strategic Nuclear Arms. Carter's problem was he micromanaged like an engineer,and was a poor communicator with a certain regional mannerisms that up in our part of America are viewed as either being comical or those of someone who is brain damaged (we viewed him as a grinning jackass and his South Eastern accent marked him as slow minded) (A lot of Southern or Texan GOP Congressmen, Governors and Senators strike us in the East the same way (for example Lindsay Graham, Hailey Barbour, GW Bush or Rick Perry)). This was a problem for Jimmy Carter since the media was then and still is cnetered in either the East Coast (New York and washington DC) or in the West Coast (Los Angeles) and a relatively small group of media types call the tune (If they think you are a poor leader that is what will be broadcast or printed over and over again regardless if you are or not).
George W. Bush had the same problem as did his father and LBJ and Dick Nixon. They liked Clinton, Reagan and JFK.

Now I know from personal experience the New York East Coast ways can be a problem anywhere West of the Hudson River. On my first day working at the Univ of Minnesota I got anoyed with the slow response to a question in the Department Office, I yelled at one of the Department Office staff like I would back East, the poor woman began to cry. After the disturbance, I got called into the Department Chairs Office and his first words were "I see you come from New York, People out here don't expect to be talked to like you just did!". To know like King Kong swinging from the Empire State Building.

Last edited by mwruckman; 07-13-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 01:18 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,229 times
Obama the smartest President of all time. The funniest joke I have heard in a very long time. Thanks for the good laugh.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:22 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,713,884 times
So Obama's stupid because he can't give a good speech and because all he does is give a good speech...?

And if using a teleprompter means you aren't very bright, *all* world leaders since their invention aren't very bright.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post

And if using a teleprompter means you aren't very bright, *all* world leaders since their invention aren't very bright.
I guess that depends on what happens when there is no telelprompter. Be interesting to see Obama try a 30 minute speech with nothing but note cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBswFfh6AY

IQ is important but the smartest kid in our class had his nose buried in a physics books starting around 4th grade. By the time he was in middle school there was nothing they could teach him even at the HS. I'm sure there was plenty of stuff he could of taught them. His writing looked like a second graders even in HS and I'm pretty sure he barely got by or failed all the other classes. We'd be in history class and he'd be reading physics. I think they just left him go once we were in the later grades. Last itme I saw him a few years back he still had that odd shuffling walk looking at the ground and mumbling to himself. For all I know he solved how to time travel but he'd never in a million years be a leader.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:12 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Jefferson gets my vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
Arthur, Garfield, Cleveland and Lyndon Johnson were themselves teachers.
Meaningless. There's no rule that says that teachers have to be smart.

Teaching is a profession, not an intelligence award. There are PLENTY of dumb teachers out there. For instance, the teacher that once told my girlfriend it was impossible for the sun and the moon to both be in the sky at the same time.

A different girlfriend of mine was a high school teacher for many years. She wasn't rocket scientist material, either, although she wasn't stupid. She wasn't very real-world smart, though. Those who spend their lives in academia tend to lose touch with most of the real world.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:24 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,062,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
My friends and I (all history/politics geeks) were debating who the smartest president of all time was -- or is. Note that when we say "smartest," we mean book smart.

I did an internet search to see if we could find any good "Top 10 lists." I came up empty, except for a couple of articles like this one:

Who is The Smartest US. President of All Time? Is It Obama?

The article narrows it down to Obama, Wilson, and Jefferson.

But Arthur, Garfield, Cleveland and Lyndon Johnson were themselves teachers.

What's your take on this? Would Jefferson win the accolade for biggest book nerd? Would he win the superlative for "most intelligent"? I haven't done enough research on the more obscure presidents to come to a definitive answer.

Obama reads books???! I'm scratching my head on that one. This is a guy who thinks that we have fifty-seven states.

My answer would be Jefferson, by the way.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Meaningless. There's no rule that says that teachers have to be smart.
If it was a female teacher from that era I'd beg to differ. Being one of the few professions open to them obviously you would have some very intelligent women teaching. Not that I'm suggesting we force them to be a teacher but I have to wonder how much the loss of these highly intelligent female teachers has affected the education system.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:05 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Oh good lord. Barack Obama is an idiot. He's not book smart. He's Affirmative Action smart. He's I-Got-Elected-Because-I'm-(Half)Black-Smart. He's the Anti-Bush Smart. He's the Bastard-Child-Of-Radicals-Smart. He's Pay-Millions-To- Hide-All-My-Records-Smart. He's Run-Everything-Through-A-Political Filter-Smart. He's Blame-Everyone-But-Me-Smart. He's Lead-From-Behind-Smart. He's Failed-Leader-Smart.

He's worthless in every sense of the word. The average Barnes and Noble consumer could run circles around Barack Hussein Obama.
Says the guy that wouldn't be able to get in Colombia or Harvard... More white people got ahead using affirmative action then anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies