Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,476,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Agree with the OP. We have turned into a nation of entitled, deadbeat losers.
That's exactly what the people wanted. They elected a Democratic liberal president and a Democrat Senate. There is no way for the House Republican's to stop them. The House has flooded the Senate with Bills that Harry Reid won't bring to the floor. The American people have the government they deserve.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:48 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,980,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
how many of that "half" are people on Medicare or Social Security?
or VA benefits.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
If I was in charge, I would help those poor Americans too. Probably before immigrants. I have a massive agenda for reform if I were to be elected president, but it wouldn't fit on here.

I'd do something to slow down deportations for illegals, try and give educated, skilled immigrants a path to amnesty.

But while that was happening, I'd raise tax rates on the top tax brackets, I'd make capital gains taxes about equal to regular income taxes, and I'd cut corporate tax loopholes. After that, maybe a 1% increase in income taxes across the board. I'd cut defense spending 33%, maybe even 40% or 50%. There's no Warsaw Pact to potentially fight any more. This is how I'm going to pay for additional benefits to prop up unlucky, poor people.

Honestly, free community or state colleges would do so much to alleviate poverty and inequality. Of course, people would still have to put in effort to not flunk out of college, so it's not "enabling lazy people". It's enabling smart, hardworking people who weren't lucky enough to be born with a $5 million trust fund.

You've got MY vote!!

Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 PM

51,607 posts, read 25,642,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Faux news, Rupert Murdoch, and the Koch bros. The poorest hillbilly in a trailer park on SS disability will espouse the ideals of the 1%.

I know. Isn't that crazy?

I was at dinner one night with a couple where the wife works and the husband has been off work for years due to one minor medical problem after the next.

He got on his high horse about redistribution of wealth and moochers and people who don't work but expect to be taken care of.

I kid you not. Duh Hubby and I were at a loss for words.

Finally, his wife said, "Like you?"

Old 07-15-2014, 04:17 PM

51,607 posts, read 25,642,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
That's exactly what the people wanted. They elected a Democratic liberal president and a Democrat Senate. There is no way for the House Republican's to stop them. The House has flooded the Senate with Bills that Harry Reid won't bring to the floor. The American people have the government they deserve.
Oh, for crying out loud. House Republicans have done nothing but waste time on frivolous matters. Not a one of them were interested in figuring out how we were tricked into invading Iraq, but are going on endlessly about Benghazi.

No jobs bill. No infrastructure bills. Only votes to shut down the government (always a good time) that costs us a ton of money for no good reason. And doomed-to-fail votes to repeal ACA. (50+ at last count.)

All of this nonsense during a time when our country was in a dire situation. The economy had taken a serious tumble and we're still involve in two wars. Is it too soon say "quagmire?"

I appreciate your posting. I think they're a lot of folks out there who get their ideas and information from the Koch brothers, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Fox News, etc. By reposting their ridiculous opinions, it creates an opportunity to post logical, reasoned responses based on facts.

Keep up the good work.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,614,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
If any retirement program runs out of money, it's bankrupt & the recipients receive no more.
SS & Med pay recipients more than they paid in, without the advantage og those contributions having been invested.
I'll be well into my 90s before the SS trust fund is exhausted. My generation paid extra taxes for over 30 years to fund our retirement benefits, and all of that money has, in fact, been invested, though in fairly low return federal bonds. The trust fund is still growing, though there was a point during the last recession that they had to tap a portion of the annual interest to meet payments.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:36 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,127,242 times
Half of US citizens on some form of government handout sounds like an over sensationalized head line that needs much more elaboration, does it include my 90 year old parents who collect SS and rely on medicare?you seriously want them to go out and look for work?
How about my brother who got laid off last year and collected unemployment insurance for a few months, how about all the disabled vets or those who have run into hard times and need social assistance ? how about all those who are handicapped or have some mental disability? Etc,Etc,Etc, are all these people to be vilified for taking available government social programs and is the solution to just cut them all off of financial aid?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:10 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oh, for crying out loud. House Republicans have done nothing but waste time on frivolous matters. Not a one of them were interested in figuring out how we were tricked into invading Iraq, but are going on endlessly about Benghazi.

No jobs bill. No infrastructure bills. Only votes to shut down the government (always a good time) that costs us a ton of money for no good reason. And doomed-to-fail votes to repeal ACA. (50+ at last count.)

All of this nonsense during a time when our country was in a dire situation. The economy had taken a serious tumble and we're still involve in two wars. Is it too soon say "quagmire?"

I appreciate your posting. I think they're a lot of folks out there who get their ideas and information from the Koch brothers, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Fox News, etc. By reposting their ridiculous opinions, it creates an opportunity to post logical, reasoned responses based on facts.

Keep up the good work.
The Democrat Party has been in charge now for over SIX years. When are you guys gonna assume the responsibility. Harry Reid is the one sitting on his duff. The House has passed a large number of bills. You simply cannot blame George Bush and global warming for everything. George Bush left office over six years ago and the ice in Antarctica is in greater mass than in recorded history. The Democrats own the economy and the foreign policy. Your Dali-Bama is the creator of part-time jobs and a huge expansion of the number of folks on food stamps and other assistance programs. He could have approved the [pipeline and at least created a few jobs but he declined. The House of Rep. cannot override the President and the Senate. Do you not understand how government doesn't work. The House didn't stop the Dems from passing Obamacare. Not a single Republican voted for it, so that proves the Dems can do what they want. Obama belongs to the Democrats. You are free to give them ALL the credit.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:19 PM

4,620 posts, read 12,249,400 times
Quote:
The Democrat Party has been in charge now for over SIX years. When are you guys gonna assume the responsibility. Harry Reid is the one sitting on his duff. The House has passed a large number of bills. You simply cannot blame George Bush and global warming for everything. George Bush left office over six years ago and the ice in Antarctica is in greater mass than in recorded history. The Democrats own the economy and the foreign policy. Your Dali-Bama is the creator of part-time jobs and a huge expansion of the number of folks on food stamps and other assistance programs. He could have approved the [pipeline and at least created a few jobs but he declined. The House of Rep. cannot override the President and the Senate. Do you not understand how government doesn't work. The House didn't stop the Dems from passing Obamacare. Not a single Republican voted for it, so that proves the Dems can do what they want. Obama belongs to the Democrats. You are free to give them ALL the credit.
My political party can beat up your political party is just BS. The problem in Washington is compromise. Paul Ryan and the gal from Washington finally compromised on a budget, so kudo's to them. However, the House and Senate have done very little and both are to blame period. Democrats do not have control id the GOP in the House won't agree, so stalemate lies with both. Whether the president was red, or blue would only matter if it made it to his desk. So, you, and the poster you responded to are both out of touch with reality.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:00 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,227,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I'll be well into my 90s before the SS trust fund is exhausted.
Answer the question: How much have you paid in, and how much have you received?
Quote:
My generation paid extra taxes for over 30 years to fund our retirement benefits
Link?

Old 07-16-2014, 01:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,127,242 times
Quote:
The Democrat Party has been in charge now for over SIX years. When are you guys gonna assume the responsibility..
Kinda hard to take care of business when the opposition is bound and determined to vote no on every piece of legislation thats put forth, an attitude that hopes the President fails,is relegated to a one term President, obstruction rules,500 filibusters. The question is when are the Repubs going to assume responsibility and start working with the Dems to fix the countries problems instead of sitting on their butts and voting no on everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies