Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was presented by President Kennedy (D) and received bipartisan support from Everett Dirkson (R) and Mike Mansfield (D). After Kennedy's assassination, President Johnson (D) led the fight to get it passed.

Though there were Democrats that opposed it, Strom Thurmond comes to mind, there were many Democrats who supported it. Hubert Humphrey comes to mind.

For the most part, southern Republicans as well as Democrats opposed. Northern Ds and Rs supported it.

You can read the official tale of the passage of this bill at:

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is hardly in the R column.

And in any case, this was 50 years ago. 50!

Surely, Rs have done something worth bragging about since then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I have read this wiki page a few times and agree it was a North South common sense vote. A greater percentage of GOP voted for it, but if you were to factor in that the Southern Blue Dog Democrats that voted against it are now GOP seats in Congress, and the new closed minded it is really a wash. I believe Truman was the first to push the issue if I remember my study about it.

Harry Truman and Civil Rights

According to this and several other websites, Truman (D) did indeed start the conversation by establishing a civil rights committee to examine violence against African Americans in the U.S.

The report came out in Oct. 1947, was called "To Secure These Rights", and was "highly critical of a nation that appeared to tolerate the way African Americas were treated at a time that the nation also claimed to be the world’s leading light of democracy and protecting the world against the evils of communism which destroyed the individual rights of the people under the tyranny of communist governments."

The next President to take it up was Kennedy (D) and it was passed under Johnson (D). The vote seems to be along North South lines, understandable enough.

I don't believe I'll put that one in the Republican column.

So what great achievements can Republicans lay claim to besides tax cuts for the wealthy?

Eisenhower signed the Federal-Aid Highway Act in 1956 which created our system of freeways.

Ever since then, Republicans have been huge advocates for maintaining our infrastructure.

And ????

Old 07-16-2014, 03:22 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:

And ????
I don't know. Umm.......the Patriot Act? Honestly, I have no idea what they've done, I only know what they haven't done which is a whole hell of a lot.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:22 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,480,914 times
Quote:
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 was presented by President Kennedy (D) and received bipartisan support from Everett Dirkson (R) and Mike Mansfield (D). After Kennedy's assassination, President Johnson (D) led the fight to get it passed.

Though there were Democrats that opposed it, Strom Thurmond comes to mind, there were many Democrats who supported it. Hubert Humphrey comes to mind.

For the most part, southern Republicans as well as Democrats opposed. Northern Ds and Rs supported it.

You can read the official tale of the passage of this bill at:

Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is hardly in the R column.

And in any case, this was 50 years ago. 50!

Surely, Rs have done something worth bragging about since then.
Well, since you brought it up: Just this very day Senate Republicans voted to block the Democrat's attempt to circumvent the Supreme Court's Hobby Lobby decision.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Yeah and Obama came along and cut the work week to what. 29 or 30?
Got to give you credit for spelling the President's name right. Not everyone is able to do that.

With regards to work, President Obama promoted policies that helped put a lot of people back to work. I think that would be in his plus column.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Well, since you brought it up: Just this very day Senate Republicans voted to block the Democrat's attempt to circumvent the Supreme Court's Hobby Lobby decision.
And you are thinking this would be in the Republican plus column?

All right. I'll give you that one. Although, since the majority of Americans believe women should have access to birth control, I'm not certain this will go in the plus column for everyone.

So what else would be in the plus column for Republicans over the last 40 years?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't know. Umm.......the Patriot Act? Honestly, I have no idea what they've done, I only know what they haven't done which is a whole hell of a lot.
I don't believe the Patriot Act goes in the plus column and I suspect history will agree with me on that.

But honestly, I can't think of anything they've done besides start wars and promote tax breaks for the rich under their trickle-down theory which has, alas, proven not to actually work. Seems that when the wealthy get more money, they stash it in offshore accounts and so forth rather than become the fabled "job creators."

Who knew?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:36 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Yeah and Obama came along and cut the work week to what. 29 or 30?

Obama didn't do it.... corporations sitting on huge mounds of cash did it in an effort to conserve a few more bucks.....

Old 07-16-2014, 04:22 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
I don't believe the Patriot Act goes in the plus column and I suspect history will agree with me on that.

But honestly, I can't think of anything they've done besides start wars and promote tax breaks for the rich under their trickle-down theory which has, alas, proven not to actually work. Seems that when the wealthy get more money, they stash it in offshore accounts and so forth rather than become the fabled "job creators."

Who knew?
I can't believe all Republicans are bad, and I probably tilt to the left like most educated people. Eisenhower was a great president IMHO. He's responsible for our interstate system, and signed the Air Pollution Control Act of 1955.

Air Pollution Control Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even though Nixon was an advocate for going to Vietnam when he was Vice President he did end it? He also signed the Clean Air Act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_A...(United_States)

HW Bush signed on this also.

If I despised one it would be Reagan, and I voted for him twice as a young man. For someone who made his beginning in life as a union member to later become president of the Screen Actors Guild, and then as president he went turncoat and screw over union members.

I do not support this race to the bottom ideal the GOP ascribes to either. Low wages and benefits does not help our economy, but rather hurts it by slowing consumer spending.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Got to give you credit for spelling the President's name right. Not everyone is able to do that.

With regards to work, President Obama promoted policies that helped put a lot of people back to work. I think that would be in his plus column.
If you want to work two part-time jobs to get in 40 hours.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
And you are thinking this would be in the Republican plus column?

All right. I'll give you that one. Although, since the majority of Americans believe women should have access to birth control, I'm not certain this will go in the plus column for everyone.

So what else would be in the plus column for Republicans over the last 40 years?
Do a search on it yourself, can't you? I'm certain it's not hard to find. Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies