Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by estudiante View Post
crystal blue, i am so with you on that!!! when castro dies, cuba will become paradise!!! dont you think a or dairy queen would be better? seeing how the weather is unbearably hot down there....we could be millionaires!
im still open to that.

prob is, i know all the cubans down in miami prob have already split up whose putting what where once hes gone

i want my share too!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 12:56 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Cuba is an independant and soveriegn country, which we should have made friends with years and years ago. It is not a territory of the USA! That is the mentality that isolates us in our own hemisphere. Certainly with Castro stepping down, we should try to make amends for our shortsighted policy which has seriously hurt the Cuban people and not had one iota of success in toppling Castro.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:57 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
crystal blue, i am so with you on that!!! when castro dies, cuba will become paradise!!! dont you think a or dairy queen would be better? seeing how the weather is unbearably hot down there....we could be millionaires!
I just have to say that one of the things that makes it so great right now is the total lack of US corporate imperialism. It is one of the few places on earth where there are no golden arches, kfc's, coke, pepsi, bud etc. It will be a sad day when Cuba is no longer "Cuban"

Old 12-21-2007, 01:15 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I just have to say that one of the things that makes it so great right now is the total lack of US corporate imperialism. It is one of the few places on earth where there are no golden arches, kfc's, coke, pepsi, bud etc. It will be a sad day when Cuba is no longer "Cuban"
true, but its going to happen anyway. might as well try and get my share...

Old 12-21-2007, 01:34 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Remember the old saying when Castro first took over Cuba?:

"Cuba si...yanqui no".

The U.S. doesn't need Cuba to be a State or a territory...just a neighbor with whom we can trade...and by trade I don't mean give them the store!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:41 PM

16 posts, read 141,130 times
well if thats the case, they why does the us OWN guantanamo???

Old 12-21-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Because it was made that way by treaty with The Cuban Government who allowed the transfer of property.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:45 PM

655 posts, read 2,183,233 times
Quote:
Look up the Platt Amendment.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Look up the Platt Amendment.
Good point...wish I had thought of that...pays to know history.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:36 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
Good point...wish I had thought of that...pays to know history.
Does pay to know history, superb post...

The amendment ceded to the United States the naval base in Cuba (GuantĂĄnamo Bay), stipulated that Cuba would not transfer Cuban land to any power other than the United States, mandated that Cuba would contract no foreign debt without guarantees that the interest could be served from ordinary revenues, ensured U.S. intervention in Cuban affairs when the United States deemed necessary, prohibited Cuba from negotiating treaties with any country other than the United States "which will impair or to impair the independence of Cuba" or "permit any foreign power or powers to obtain ... lodgement in or control over any portion" of Cuba, and provided for a formal treaty detailing all the foregoing provisions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies