Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 03:20 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,367,972 times

Advertisements

There's a clear difference between misinformed voters and uninformed voters.

Sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:03 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My sister and I were discussing politics and this illegal imigration problem
She told me she listens to this talk show where they go out into the streets and ask people questions, like
Who is the Vice President of the U.S.

the horror is, people don't know?

I even wrote, that a family friend served on Homeland security, and the terrorists are here, they have camps here and someone wrote,

Your crazy, they are not here?

Well, they were here during 911 were they not, taking flying lessons and living in America.

The Boston Bombers were here and living here in the U.S.

But I guess I must be lying?

I mean, these people vote....and they only vote according to their political party, but that is all they know, they don't know any more, they don't care nor do they want to know any more????

and these people vote?

What's your take?
My take is that's called wasting your time and not thinking logically.

First off the people who don't know anything about politics aren't voting so what sense does it make to complain about people who don't vote and pretending that they are voting.

Secondly and most importantly, individual voters get to decide for themselves what they need to know about a candidate before voting.

There is nothing else to say.

Someone else coming up to a voter and telling that voter they don't know the right facts to vote is illogical

There isn't some level of knowledge required to be proven before one an vote.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:09 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
She told me she listens to this talk show where they go out into the streets and ask people questions, like

I even wrote, that a family friend served on Homeland security, and the terrorists are here, they have camps here and someone wrote,

Well, they were here during 911 were they not, taking flying lessons and living in America.

I mean, these people vote....and they only vote according to their political party, but that is all they know, they don't know any more, they don't care nor do they want to know any more????

and these people vote?

What's your take?
My take is that's called wasting your time and not thinking logically.

First off the people who don't know anything about politics aren't voting so what sense does it make to complain about people who don't vote and pretending that they are voting.

Secondly and most importantly, individual voters get to decide for themselves what they need to know about a candidate before voting.

There is nothing else to say.

Someone else coming up to a voter and telling that voter they don't know the right facts to vote is illogical

Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:

and these people vote?

What's your take?
You have to let them vote because they pay taxes (not just income tax). I would like to see "no high school diploma unless you can pass a citizenship test." It won't help now but could be a big help in the future.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You have to let them vote because they pay taxes (not just income tax). I would like to see "no high school diploma unless you can pass a citizenship test." It won't help now but could be a big help in the future.
Yes, totally agree, but Laura, I'm talking about U.S. citizens...I mean, you'd be shocked how many people I know who live in my communty, older folks, who do not know what is going on?

It is pathetic....they simply vote, b/c they have been register democratic or Republican since they were 21. So so so many people in this county do not have a clue....and I'm not putting myself above anyone else, but honstly, American's do not really know what is going on....and you can tell that by a lot of the posts here in this forum, and I'm including myself, we are in fact a country who is loosing intellectual skills.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:49 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have a liberal friend from college - who is now an elected county official - who long ago had an interesting poster on his wall (so the data it described are probably quite out of date today) which seemed to suggest that voting behavior was a function of the relationship between a person's educaton and their income.

Those whose incomes exceeded expectations (based on their education) voted heavily Republican while those whose incomes failed to meet expectations voted heavily Democrat.
Given that, I wonder how he would account for the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quote:
"In a 2010 Pew survey, Republicans outperformed Democrats on 10 of 12 questions, with one tie and Democrats outperforming Republicans on just 1 of the 12. In the latest survey, however, Republicans outperformed Democrats on every single one of 19 questions.

“Republicans generally outperformed Democrats on the current quiz. On 13 of the 19 questions, Republicans score significantly higher than Democrats and there are no questions on which Democrats did better than Republicans. In past knowledge quizzes, partisan differences have been more muted, though Republicans often have scored somewhat higher than Democrats.”

Those Pew results are confirmed by some surprising other sources. According to a New York Times headline dated April 14, 2010, “Poll Finds Tea Party Backers Wealthier and More Educated.” Shattering widespread myths, that survey revealed that Tea Party supporters were more likely to possess a college degree than their counterparts (23% to 15%), and also more likely to have completed post-graduate studies (14% to 10%). Tea Partiers were also more likely to have completed “some college” by a 33% to 28% margin, and substantially less likely to have not completed high school than non-supporters (3% versus 12%), or to possess only a high school degree (26% versus 35%)."
Pew Research: Republicans More Knowledgeable Than Democrats

Old 07-14-2014, 06:08 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Yes, totally agree, but Laura, I'm talking about U.S. citizens...I mean, you'd be shocked how many people I know who live in my communty, older folks, who do not know what is going on?

It is pathetic....they simply vote, b/c they have been register democratic or Republican since they were 21. So so so many people in this county do not have a clue....and I'm not putting myself above anyone else, but honstly, American's do not really know what is going on....and you can tell that by a lot of the posts here in this forum, and I'm including myself, we are in fact a country who is loosing intellectual skills.
I was always a person to say, "go vote"......that it was something that should be valued.

Now, I wonder......maybe everyone should not vote.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:41 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Iamme73 My take is that's called wasting your time and not thinking logically.

You are so absolutely wrong, I have friends who only vote, b/c they were registered whatever, since they turned 21. They know nothing about what is going on out there. And the sad part is they don't want to know.

Quote:
Yes, they do, but unfortunately, they don't know much....So so so many people do not even know what happened in Bengazi...or about the immigration problem or who is right now, VP of the U.S.

Quote:
No one said I walk up to voters and tell them they don't know enough to vote, but I would love to know why they are voting and for who and what is it about that particular candidate, that they are voting for....

Quote:
with being able to vote, comes personal responsibility, b/c what you do, think and say always reflects on your parents, your siblings, your aunts and uncles, your neighbors, which is also a lost knowledge. So who you vote for doesn't only impact you, so you'd better know as much about that candidate and what, he/she intends to do about the issues at hand before voting.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:

and these people vote?

What's your take?
My take is there are uniformed voters on both sides. The proof is that we have some that believe that FEMA camps were built to house good Patriotic Conservatives, that the President was not going to step down at the end of his terms, that the President did not qualify to be President because he does not fit the rules, that the President is trying to destroy America on purpose, the list goes on and on and a new consirarcy pops up weekly. The Left have their issues also but when one really takes a hard look at the daily "stuff" posted by Cons one can come to no other conclusion but that they are uninformed of the facts and many may have something seriously wrong with them. To me a lot of it has to do with the same internet we all love so much, mainstream news sources can be slanted but there are rules which can and do come back to haunt them, but that does not apply to the many internet, blogs and sites that pretend to be news sources but are nothing more than propaganda sites. I doubt anything can really be done other than to require sites such as that to proclaim in big bold type on the top of every page that they are not an actual news station and that will never happen. The sad fact is there are mnay people on sites such as this that are actually interested in politics and the future of the Nation, yet they will use links and qoutes from sites such as The Blaze, The Godfather News, and the American Thinker and expect others to discuss the propaganda presented on them as if they were actual facts and the truth.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
You are so absolutely wrong, I have friends who only vote, b/c they were registered whatever, since they turned 21. They know nothing about what is going on out there. And the sad part is they don't want to know.
And as we now know from consistent Pew Research results, Republican voters are much more factually informed than those who vote for Democrats.
Quote:
"In a 2010 Pew survey, Republicans outperformed Democrats on 10 of 12 questions, with one tie and Democrats outperforming Republicans on just 1 of the 12. In the latest survey, however, Republicans outperformed Democrats on every single one of 19 questions.

“Republicans generally outperformed Democrats on the current quiz. On 13 of the 19 questions, Republicans score significantly higher than Democrats and there are no questions on which Democrats did better than Republicans. In past knowledge quizzes, partisan differences have been more muted, though Republicans often have scored somewhat higher than Democrats.”
Pew Research: Republicans More Knowledgeable Than Democrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies