Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

As with many progressives once they are personally confronted with the ideology they profess, they seem to have second thoughts.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/14/ny...?smid=tw-share
Quote:
“I’m an extremely progressive liberal and the best kind,” said Mr. Doeblin, 53. “I’ve been able to keep a community bookstore alive in this neighborhood, and I don’t let ideology get in my way.”

And for that, customers in this liberal stronghold have unabashedly (until quite recently) sung his praises. To many, he is a lanky warrior for the written word, celebrated for creating and sustaining an intellectual haven in the neighborhood for nearly two decades.

At least that’s how things stood until last month, when his workers voted to unionize. On June 24, just hours after the vote, Mr. Doeblin announced in an email to staff members that he had fired two employees for joining the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union. By June 26, he had fired three more.

Mr. Doeblin said four of the dismissed employees were managers who were ineligible to take part in the vote and who had “undermined” his business by bringing in the union. (The employees countered that they were supervisors in name only.) He fired the fifth worker after accusing her of eavesdropping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
LOL..the libs are such NIMBYs

Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
If he was so progressive he should have been making his employees happy all along, right?

And then he's using the typical retail scam of calling folks managers, working them manager hours but not offering mangers pay. He deserved a union.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Practice what I say, not what I do... The "intellectual liberal" mantra...

Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
This brings to mind Amazon.com. Founder Jeff Bezos donates mostly to Democrats, and early investor Nick Hanauer is a big time progressive. But Amazon has fought unionization with just as much tenacity as Wal-Mart.

Amazon's anti-union strategy hits a snag - The Week

Quote:
As a global powerhouse that employs 100,000 people around the world, Amazon has long opposed unions. Over the last decade it has successfully obstructed workers' efforts to unionize in the United States, even as it has weathered criticism over working conditions and class-action lawsuits about pay.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Look out for yourself first. I see nothing wrong with that. Not all extremely progressive liberals believe in unions. ugh defending liberals, bath time for me again.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:34 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
If he was so progressive he should have been making his employees happy all along, right?

And then he's using the typical retail scam of calling folks managers, working them manager hours but not offering mangers pay. He deserved a union.
Or offering them manager's pay as salary so he can work them to the bone and not have to pay hourly wages.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:38 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This brings to mind Amazon.com. Founder Jeff Bezos donates mostly to Democrats, and early investor Nick Hanauer is a big time progressive. But Amazon has fought unionization with just as much tenacity as Wal-Mart.

So where are all the anti-Amazon threads on this forum? I've seen a couple of mentions of Amazon, usually in a bash Walmart thread, but for some reason I never seem to see a huge backlash against them. Is it because they're on the Internet, and therefore "cool"? Or maybe it's because their shoppers aren't able to be photographed dressing their fat bodies in unflattering clothes?

Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

you know your lies can be googled right ?

The politics of Jeff Bezos - The Washington Post

Arguing that someone is a Democrat is not the same as saying they support unions.

Not every Republican is against gay marriage, or anti union.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
So where are all the anti-Amazon threads on this forum? I've seen a couple of mentions of Amazon, usually in a bash Walmart thread, but for some reason I never seem to see a huge backlash against them. Is it because they're on the Internet, and therefore "cool"? Or maybe it's because their shoppers aren't able to be photographed dressing their fat bodies in unflattering clothes?

Amazon is just the Walmart of the internet. The only difference is that Jeff Bezos has been crafty enough to donate to pay of Democrats and thus avoid all the bad publicity that WalMart has reaped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies