Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:54 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You have no proof.

Sorry, the doom and gloom going on in the mind of conservatives isn't backed up by any facts.
And with computers making thousands of deals per second that have nothing to do with the success/failure of the companies whose stocks are being traded, just WHAT does the DOW or any market indicator really represent these days?

Quote:
"Numbers are the closest thing to god's handwriting." ~Pacific Rim
There are three kinds of lies:

1) Lies

2) Damn Lies!

3) Statistics! ____________________________________Mark Twain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 02:00 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,475 times
Don't you know there is no such thing as good news while a Democrat is in the White House?

Everything is a lie, a trick, a scheme or a conspiracy. Or it's just a fluke or a mistake.

It's too bad, really, that so many would rather be afraid than take advantage of a good situation. A cherry falls on their head and they think the sky is falling when they should be climbing the tree to pick more cherries because they are ripe.

Bad news? That they believe.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And with computers making thousands of deals per second that have nothing to do with the success/failure of the companies whose stocks are being traded, just WHAT does the DOW or any market indicator really represent these days?
Sorry, you have no credibility when your rebuttal to statistics is reduced to conspiracy theories.

The economy has officially replaced all lost jobs since the recession.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:03 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Sorry, you have no credibility when your rebuttal to statistics is reduced to conspiracy theories.

The economy has officially replaced all lost jobs since the recession.
Conspiracy theories? Just WHERE did I mention anything of the kind?

I asked a very simple question: WHAT does the DOW really represent when the market is so easily affected by computer trading?

I note you have NO answer so if you want to question anyone's credibility I suggest you look in a mirror.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:48 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Don't you know there is no such thing as good news while a Democrat is in the White House?........
That totally depends on one's party affiliation as that knife cuts both ways.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:10 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
When is that other shoe going to drop? Must have little slipper!

I hate to disappoint the doomsday people but things are definitely getting better.

Stocks have shaken off last week's Portuguese bank scare. The Dow is back above 17,000 and is once again at a record high.

The Dow is up more than 130 points heading into lunch and hit a new peak of 17,085 at earlier in the session.

The S&P 500 and Nasdaq are both up around 0.6%.

The rally comes as Goldman Sachs released an upgraded target for the S&P 500. Analysts there now think the blue chip index will hit 2050 by year's-end instead of 1900.

The S&P 500 has been hovering around 1980 all day.

Stocks charging back - Jul. 14, 2014
Your link is CNN. No wonder you are uninformed. You have so much to learn about the real world grasshopper.

Last edited by thebigr; 07-14-2014 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Buying now would be just as dumb as selling at the bottom in 2008.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:52 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,524 times
As always, I trade the tape accordingly.

If you're bearish for bearish sake, you're a fool and I hope you've not participated in recent rallies.

Of course we'll correct and see some selling soon. Hence another buying opportunity. Rinse, repeat.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:02 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,028,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
As always, I trade the tape accordingly.

If you're bearish for bearish sake, you're a fool and I hope you've not participated in recent rallies.

Of course we'll correct and see some selling soon. Hence another buying opportunity. Rinse, repeat.

But tell me my trader friend, do you think this market is for real or just a Fed induced bubble?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:07 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
But tell me my trader friend, do you think this market is for real or just a Fed induced bubble?
Crystal ball's in the shop but it doesn't matter.
There's debating causation from the sidelines and then there's making bank whether short or long.
We definitely feel 'toppy' and these historic lows in volatility cause concern but I don't think any institutional or hedge fund money seems overly concerned. Set stops and forget it.

[ADDED] And watch - now that I've posted positivity, we're gonna crash hard. I'm good at jinxing that way.

Last edited by TrexDigit; 07-14-2014 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: *
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies