Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDragonfly View Post
Well as a black person, I don't see it much as a stereotype so much as a cultural observation, that the black community of today has a plethora of young black kids without fathers. It's not like the sterotype popped out of nowhere, I knew plenty of black friends whose dads were in prison or simply non-existent within their families. Lets not pretend like this isn't an embarrassing epidemic just because it makes us feel better. Even my own Dad grew up without his father, and we had to hunt him down when my Dad had already grown up.

I have total respect for a black person who is willing to come out and admit that too many black children grow up with either a "Baby Daddy" or no Father in the picture at all. Yes, we whites are not totally clean in this situation either, but this thread is about black Fathers, so that is what I am addressing.

Let me ask you, since you seem very upfront and open minded about this subject, do blacks in general see this as an embarrassment or is it viewed as simply the way things are ? The reason I ask is, I see so many blacks who have class and great values and I wonder if they shake their heads at what they see from a lot of their people. So many blacks have overcome so much in their lifetime that it has to bother them that their fellow man could have also come as far if they would have simply done the right things.

I would be very interested in your opinion on those things. (and I mean them as honest questions).

Don

Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Here is an example of how topics about blacks are twisted:

Bill Cosby received honorary degrees. Throughout the media, it was proclaimed Cosby "earned" his degree (A doctorate no less).

He didn't earn squat, any more than anyone else getting a degree in that manner. Please, lets not talk about life accomplishments, we all have them.

Nevertheless, when he stood up and spoke about absent black fathers and such, there was some polite applause and then you never heard about it again.

Often, when a black person does what should be done, it is espoused as something special.

If absentee fathers aren't a huge problem among blacks, then why do so many black women get public assistance claiming they are single parents?

Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Bill Cosby received honorary degrees. Throughout the media, it was proclaimed Cosby "earned" his degree (A doctorate no less).

He didn't earn squat, any more than anyone else getting a degree in that manner. Please, lets not talk about life accomplishments, we all have them.

Nevertheless, when he stood up and spoke about absent black fathers and such, there was some polite applause and then you never heard about it again.

Often, when a black person does what should be done, it is espoused as something special.

If absentee fathers aren't a huge problem among blacks, then why do so many black women get public assistance claiming they are single parents?
This has to with poverty. Whites have the same risk and as disparity between the haves and have nots grows the more we see it among whites.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:20 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
We're all equal here, but some are more equal than others. (George Orwell - 1984)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post
Actually it's from Animal Farm.
Thank you -- we stand corrected.

But the principle (or lack of it in some cases) remains the same.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There's nothing special or remarkable about doing that which you are supposed to do.

The fact remains that almost 80% of black children are born to single mothers.

3% of black children in America have the same set of parents at the age of 18 as were their birth parents.

A million photos can't "shatter" that truth.....not a stereotype.
You rely on government statistics??????? Statistics and government are hardly accurate.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 PM

792 posts, read 635,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
You rely on government statistics??????? Statistics and government are hardly accurate.
Can you disprove these statistics? Government statistics are often the most accurate there are. You come off as just another anti-government, tinfoil nut.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:17 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

In light of this controversy, I did a little research into the credentials of Dr. M L King, suspecting (wrongly) that only a Doctor of Divinity was involved; as it turns out, Dr. King did hold a full Ph. D. (Boston University, 1955) with a dissertation grounded in theological issues.

But the point here should be that, while obviously, Dr, King embraced his cause more fervently, and pad a much greater price, both men devoted their efforts to a troubling issue about which they held serious concerns. Too much of the present controversy has sunk to the usual "drive-by" tactics -- from both sides.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:46 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinerica View Post
Sadly there is always Faux News to repeatedly push propaganda equal to that of a North Korean Prison Camp!
Fox News' Racial Crime Coverage Is Hurting People | Blog | Media Matters for America
Ah, how long did it take the FoxaPhobes to appear on this one?

Old 07-17-2014, 02:50 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908kiddo View Post
Something common I've seen in the first few pages of this are people trying to disprove a positive article. I mean if thats not prejudice I don't know what is.....
I think the latter part of your second sentence is more true than the first.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:24 PM

790 posts, read 1,269,150 times
groce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies