Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I know a lot of people who will defend pit bulls, but there's something about them that seems inherently psychotic. Don't like the breed, owners need to keep a close eye on them.
Parents need to keep their children from hugging strange dogs, especially ones left tied up somewhere.

This one's the parents fault, not the dogs, not the dog owners.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
I have a vicious dog who I have to hold back when we meet other people and dogs on our walks. He can't stand people and hates other dogs even more.

Chihuahuas are evil and should be banned!
Ban rats, of course that would include Chihuahuas, which are just barking rats.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Just because they are big and strong... also, unfortunately for the breed, they are more popular with violent thuggish people. If violent thuggish people liked Golden Retrievers and trained them to be vicious, they would take the place of pitbulls.....they are still less likely to attack a stranger than your average dog.
So your statistic that they are less likely to attack somehow supersedes the statistic about how often deaths and maimings are disproportionately the result of pit bulls?

Translation: Xander likes his tough looking dog.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
It's too bad they are so goofy on the Pet Forum that they can't discuss Pitbulls there without losing their minds. Then we wouldn't have to have this on this forum.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:09 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So your statistic that they are less likely to attack somehow supersedes the statistic about how often deaths and maimings are disproportionately the result of pit bulls?

Translation: Xander likes his tough looking dog.
Yeah, it's politically incorrect to say this but a large part of the appeal of these dogs is as a thug-culture fashion accessory, i.e. "Look at how tuff I am because I have a pit bull."

Another small set of people own these dogs because of some childish need to be contrarian in order to feel superior to the mainstream i.e, "Most people think that pit bulls are dangerous and prone to violence, I'm going to prove them wrong and prove how much smarter I am than most people."

The net result of this is that people largely own these dogs for stupid reasons, can't handle them (if anyone could) and then blame the media for overreacting when they go ballistic and attack someone or when the animal shelters are overflowing with them.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:10 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I know a lot of people who will defend pit bulls, but there's something about them that seems inherently psychotic. Don't like the breed, owners need to keep a close eye on them.
Pits are terriers, all terriers were bred for one purpose, to kill other prey. It isn't Pit's are that much more aggressive, but are so powerful, when they turn their attack is tenacious and often deadly. I will not own any breed of terrier, they are stubborn and can be difficult to train.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Nope never said that, people breed animals to do many things, but it is not the breed that makes some of them dangerous it is the training they get at the hands of Man.
I will agree that how a dog is trained affects the dog ,however the america pit bull was originally bred to fight

Pitbull Fighting | Pitbull Video

Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I live in a upscale tourist town, our pitbulls are no where near ghetto dogs. Our town welcomes them and they are the most well behaved dogs in town. When one shows up at our shelter it's not there long!

It's gang members and ghetto thugs who have given the "pitbull" it status that we see today.
Some people own dogs that shouldn't. They should do some research before getting a dog, it is the main reason so many end up in shelters.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Parents need to keep their children from hugging strange dogs, especially ones left tied up somewhere.

This one's the parents fault, not the dogs, not the dog owners.
The parents share the blame with the dog owner. You don't tie your dog up and leave it unsupervised in public unless it's the most well behaved predictable dog. I have three dogs and only one that could be tied up and left unsupervised. The other two don't take kindly to being approached by strangers and as the person responsible for them, I have to take into account the very real possibility that someone will come up and try to pet them if they are tied up even though I am aware that it's never a good idea to approach strange dogs in public, I know that people do it all the time. Dog owner's need to be responsible for their dogs. Parents need to supervise their toddlers. They both are too blame. The dog died due to the owner's negligence. If she had been more responsible the dog would be alive and the toddler would not have been mauled (not by that dog anyway).

Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 AM

Heres a video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWGESZ6ucEI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies