Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddoneout View Post
I would like this to be an adult and civil debate. I'll start by stating who a person dates or sleeps with is none of my business and I don't wish to make it my business. However, on a moral level, I don't agree with homosexuality and miscegenation. If I see a gay or interracial couple in the street, I don't give them a mean stare or special attention - I pass them as I would any other person. I don't go on crusades, blasting them. I pretty much keep it to myself unless people directly ask, and then I reveal what I think. Why do some people, particularly liberals, always feel the need to be outraged when I reveal my views on the topic? Sometimes it is as if I just beheaded a baby. I'm not hurting anyone - I don't heckle or hurl verbal abuse towards gays or interracial couples. I just don't agree with them. What's so wrong about that? It's my right.

How do you know they are Liberals? "particularly liberals",

Were they wearing a badge or name tags?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:28 AM

83 posts, read 75,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Maybe whites are superior leaders or superior strategists, which is why they can win at tactical teams sports. Is it so hard to believe that God would differentiate the races by giving them superior capabilities in different areas? Why separate the races if you don't intend for them to be different?
This is so weird. Someone who defends gay rights but then trods out the cliche white supremacist beliefs at the same time. Seems like mixing electricity with water. Unless you were baiting the OP. Then I apologise

Old 07-15-2014, 11:30 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Legally it is not your right to refuse a business deal for personal reasons.
Sure it is. You can refuse business for ANY personal reason you'd like to unless you ADMIT to discrimination. Just don't admit to it and you're fine. All you have to say is "I'm all booked up".

Old 07-15-2014, 11:31 AM

3,300 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
It is quite obvious a couple is a couple when they are walking side by side and holding hands.
No, you misunderstand me. I have seen people of various races that do not look like the stereotype one might have of that race. I have also seen women who looked kind of masculine and men who look kind of feminine. So without spending a lot of time looking at them, or asking, how do you automatically know?

For example, I have known people from the Indian continent who are very dark, and some who are very light. Same with African Americans. How do you know who has what ancestry? Where you live, do they have to wear something on their clothing to let you know? Because if they don't and if you aren't asking them directly, I maintain that you just by default, you must at times be mistaken in knowing who offends you and who does not.

I can understand it as a purely philosophical stance (although I'm not on board) but as a practical matter it has some flaws in the execution.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:33 AM

83 posts, read 75,179 times
OP - I'm in an interracial relationship. Funny thing is I used to be racist when I was a kid. A hardcore racist, until I grew up and went to university, meeting people of different colours and realising we're all just human beings. My family (still racists) heavily objects to me dating a black man and they often come up with the same argument you are presenting. Yes, you're right - you are very much entitled to your views. But other people are also entitled to find those views objectionable.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
WTF? The NBA is dominated by African Americans. By definition African Americans make the difference in championships! When was the last time an all white team won the NBA title. Even Larry Bird had black team members supporting him.

Even more, how many Soccer players globally in size alone could ever play basketball at the NBA level? Most guys in the NBA and many from the NFL would excel at any sport they played.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 AM

68 posts, read 55,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
How do you know they are Liberals? "particularly liberals",

Were they wearing a badge or name tags?
Liberals are the ones that brand everything as homophobic and racist.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM

68 posts, read 55,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Even more, how many Soccer players globally in size alone could ever play basketball at the NBA level? Most guys in the NBA and many from the NFL would excel at any sport they played.
Absolute garbage!! Just because you're big, strong and fast, it doesn't mean you can make an impact. Put any one of the NBA or NFL folks on the soccer pitch and they would be like bewildered children. There are plenty of physical beasts in soccer but they suck because they lack the technical ability. Look at one of the best players in soccer history. Leo Messi. He's 5'7 and thin as a stick, but yet he will go down as one of the greatest ever. Pele wasn't big. Neither was Maradona. Yet they are considered to be the best two players ever not because of their size and speed, but because of the technical ability and genius they had with their feet.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
on a moral level, I don't agree with ... miscegenation.
What about people born mixed race? Who, according to you, can they morally breed with?

For instance, what race do you consider Barack Obama: black, white, or half-black/half-white? What race is it moral for him, in your opinion, to mate with? Was it wrong and immoral of him to mate with Michelle and pollute her pure black genes?

For a mixed race person to be moral, does he or she have to remain celibate?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Liberals are the ones that brand everything as homophobic and racist.
If the shoe fits lace that ***** up and wear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies