Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: America should "nation build" those Central American Countries
YES, our wealth and expertise will cause them to be Middle Class over time 3 6.82%
NO! American has not been successful rebuilding a country since Korea in the 1950s 39 88.64%
Who knows! 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 02:18 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
meh...

They aren't displacing millions of American workers.
There used to be Americans who did those jobs. I have known some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
meh...

They aren't displacing millions of American workers.
Oh but they are because cash in hand means no taxable labor costs on employers.
No FICA, no unemployment insurance, no Worker's Comp insurance, no benefits.

Construction companies employ a foreman.
Give the foreman a wad of money and he goes and "hires" a crew.

Much easier done at the smaller one man shop businesses like lawn care, house painting, fence building, etc.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:41 PM

57,232 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
I am so fed up and sick and tired of these pathetic, moronic attempts to put the fault of all the world's problems on the US, Israel, the white man, etc.

When is the third world going to EVER become responsible for themselves and the messes they have created for themselves?

First off, US fruit has been out of some of those countries FOR OVER 40 YEARS, and did the US army march in to the presidential home and order these governments to allow US businesses in? No they did not. Had the US not tried to develop the natural resources of these countries, then NO MONEY at all would have entered the country - and it is NOT the US' fault that the regimes were/are corrupt, and keep the money for themselves instead of spending it to improve their countries.

There are plenty of former basket cases like Costa Rica, Turkey and South Korea that decided they were going to improve their countries' standards of livings, and develop into quality democracies - but those are all ignored by the leftwing tools in the media or this forum, who prefer to stand in a corner and blame the US.

Just utter, complete and total garbage.

Love the part about the US helping these countries develop their natural resources, Standard Oil, Goodyear were helping them, go figure. I wouldn't blame the US for all the ill's of these countries but we certainly had our dirty fingers involved in their governments.

It's not our fault they had corrupt governments, now who do you think provided a most of the bribes. Those small 3rd world countries didn't stand a chance ad please don't tell me we had nothing to do with El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras and others.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:54 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Bring the bill to the floor in the house. Amend it so that E-Verify would immediately become the law of the land and pass it. You have the republican votes to do amend any part of the Senate passed bill..
That's assuming Republican's actually want immigration reform. What they want is a status quo that allows for a flood of cheap labor while using immigrants as a scapegoat to their base for the economic ills of this country. Who's going to build those "affordable" houses in Texas or pick all of those crops in California, or do laundry in gated communities in Sugarland, TX if Central Americans weren't coming in?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
If I lead a horse to water and it refuses to drink......not my fault if it's too stupid to drink.

Same goes with our money.....they spend it on personal things and not towards the masses where it will do good.

On another note I look at all the Illegals as a "in your face" mentality.

You walk outside from a store when shopping and a person is "in your face" on the sidewalk looking for some donation or to sell you something.

Stop at a traffic light and a pan handler has his hand out "in your face" for beer money.

Stop at a traffic light and a person will spray water on the windshield (was already clean) "in your face" for money.

When living in Mexico City had a friend tell me that he heard *******say "let Steve pay, he's got the money (round about way "in your face"). Sure, I had the money as I earned it.

Somebody is telling all those coming across the border in Texas etc to go to the US as they will feed, clothe, medical ETC for FREE. By going in MASS there would be NO stopping and the "in your face" will work......so far it's working like a CHARM.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
The countries have come out and said they can't do it by themselves.
They need the help of the US but only money.

They want the US to send them money.
These corrupt governments want the US to send them money to save their people.

Honduras seeks U.S. aid on migrants, suggests 'mini-Marshall plan'
Honduran President Juan Hernandez said Washington should help Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras fight gangs with a plan similar to U.S. anti-drug programs in Colombia and Mexico, as well as funds to lift growth in the impoverished region.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:37 PM

62,885 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
That's assuming Republican's actually want immigration reform. What they want is a status quo that allows for a flood of cheap labor while using immigrants as a scapegoat to their base for the economic ills of this country. Who's going to build those "affordable" houses in Texas or pick all of those crops in California, or do laundry in gated communities in Sugarland, TX if Central Americans weren't coming in?
Oh my, the GOP doesn't want immigration reform because there is no reform being presented just amnesty. Immigrants? Um no, illegal aliens. It's not just Republicans who hire cheap, illegal labor either. The cost of housing hasn't gone down due to cheap, illegal labor. The builders just pocket the profits. They are usually built crappy also.

We have unlimited H-2A visas for legal crop pickers but again the growers hire the cheap, illegal labor instead to increase their profits. Americans have and always will do blue collared jobs for a "fair" wage. There is nothing we need illegal aliens for at all. The employers just pass their huge social costs on to we the taxpayer.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Love the part about the US helping these countries develop their natural resources, Standard Oil, Goodyear were helping them, go figure. I wouldn't blame the US for all the ill's of these countries but we certainly had our dirty fingers involved in their governments.

It's not our fault they had corrupt governments, now who do you think provided a most of the bribes. Those small 3rd world countries didn't stand a chance ad please don't tell me we had nothing to do with El Salvador, Nicaragua, Honduras and others.

In 1975 there was a coup d'etat which overthrew the President 'Dictator" of Honduras Gen. Arellano. He made the one mistake you never make in a place like Honduras. He got greedy and decided keep all the money being given to Honduras by United Fruit and not share it with his brother senior officers in the Honduran military. They had what expatriats jokingly called a General's Election and a new President Gen Melgar de Castro took over. Ex President Arellano was allowed to fly to Mexico City where he could live on his retirement nest egg. With the exception of Belize and Costa Rica one can find storys just as good as the one above in CentroAmerica!!!! I spent more than 4 months in Honduras from 1974-1976 in 3 trips to Tegucigalpa.

I also have experience in a place called Cochabamba a Bolivian city at 8,500 ft altitude in the Andes foothills. So I can compare two of the real garden spots of the Americas. Bolivia in its history has has nearly 200 Presidents. Roughlly one a year.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:09 AM

27,121 posts, read 15,305,548 times
Nation build?

No, Fence build.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
If we did not have a endless supply of "cheap labor"(its not it cost us billions in taxes, lost wages, and crime) we could have mechanized home constructions and most AG potions, making goods cheaper, and reducing injury and death in those fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies