Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 04:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
FINALLY .. Someone that said it, if their child gets a "food card" (we called them lunch cards) at school they filled out forms CLAIMING they were too poor for their child to pay for lunch.

I NEVER got a lunch card at school, my mother's income was too high, I paid full price for whatever I got, sometimes it was the daily "special", sometimes something else, sometimes I bagged my lunch.
I doubt children are FORCED to take things(fruits, etc.) they don't want, but if they are, THAT is wrong.

Again I will say it, the Federal Govt.(Dept. of Agriculture I believe) has ALWAYS controlled what was in School lunches.
Lunch is not a buffet table. The trays are pre made with all the food on them.
The kids can choose their milk flavor.

Why ? Because if they don't get the specific tray with the specific food the school will not get their federal lunch money.

Wrong ? Absolutely. I see lots of untouched food thrown out. The kids are conditioned to just take the tray.
You don't argue with the lunch ladies. It's of no use to say "I don't want that piece". It's easier to just take the tray and throw out what you don't want.

I had lunch duty all last year at a middle school (6-7-8) and saw firsthand what goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Lunch is not a buffet table. The trays are pre made with all the food on them.
The kids can choose their milk flavor.

Why ? Because if they don't get the specific tray with the specific food the school will not get their federal lunch money.

Wrong ? Absolutely. I see lots of untouched food thrown out. The kids are conditioned to just take the tray.
You don't argue with the lunch ladies. It's of no use to say "I don't want that piece". It's easier to just take the tray and throw out what you don't want.

I had lunch duty all last year at a middle school (6-7-8) and saw firsthand what goes on.
So maybe we should do something about all these POOR families that need to have the Government supply their child's lunch.

Conservatives should be saying WHY are the schools supplying lunches for the students when it is the parents responsibility, but they LOVE free stuff when it is for them.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMack View Post
So maybe we should do something about all these POOR families that need to have the Government supply their child's lunch.
Why ? The kids eat what they want and bring other stuff from home or buy snacks and juice.

It is what it is.

I was just correcting your comment that you didn't think the kids were forced to take the food.
No one is holding a gun to their heads. But they do form a line and all go through the lunch counter line.
None are allowed to just enter the cafeteria and sit down without going through the line.

And by 6th grade they all have it down pat.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why ? The kids eat what they want and bring other stuff from home or buy snacks and juice.

It is what it is.

I was just correcting your comment that you didn't think the kids were forced to take the food.
No one is holding a gun to their heads. But they do form a line and all go through the lunch counter line.
None are allowed to just enter the cafeteria and sit down without going through the line.

And by 6th grade they all have it down pat.
I don't see how that is possible, maybe at the school YOU know about but in every school I don't think so.

WHY would ALL the children get a FREE lunch when it is need based program? ALL the parents lie on a Federal form?

Old 07-19-2014, 05:40 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
How about a war on pharmaceutical companies. That would be nice

Old 07-19-2014, 05:45 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid825 View Post
The first lady is looking overweight in recent pictures. I don't believe she's within normal BMI range anymore. I sympathize with overweight people that's it's hard to control eating in our world of excess food, but anyone who can't keep a normal BMI has NO business acting preachy about weight loss and dietary guidelines.
Here's a picture of Mooooooooochelle taken yesterday. Look how fat that heifer is. 200? 225?:

Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
She's not trying to control my life. You should edit your OP to reflect the facts. I disagree with her on this issue, and if I had school aged children, I'd pack their lunches. Problem solved.
Exactly. I certainly have no love for the clown in the WH, and I don't really care what Michelle does, but those are public schools. So, if they restrict certain foods, then give your kids what you want them to eat, instead. Believe it or not, kids used to bring their lunch to school all the time, back in the day. Our parents dictated what we ate, not the First Lady.

The downside to her stupid little program, however, is that, if you read the article, those Chick Fil A foods funded the field trips. Now they have to find some other way to fund field trips. They can have an artichoke heart and broccoli sale, I guess.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Here's a picture of Mooooooooochelle taken yesterday. Look how fat that heifer is. 200? 225?:
I guess you don't understand what the word FAT means ...

Old 07-19-2014, 08:00 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Seriously? So what if the children don't get Chick Fila for lunch. SMH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Nothing fat about her. It amazes me the type of disrespectful culture that exists in the nation, where people find it cute to disrespect another man's wife.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Everyone with a brain can learn about nutrition and talk about it. They don't even have to be fit themselves, it's not a requirement to learning. In that regard Michelle has every "right" to say whatever she wants on her platform of child obesity. Even someone who is ill and bedridden "has the right" to tell you that exercise was a good thing.

I think Michelle looks pretty good.

Also laughing at people who don't think "the government has a right to have anything to do with schools". Uhh...REALLY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies