Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:35 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times

Advertisements

Political Typology Quiz | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

I'm wondering if we'll see a lot of people with strong partisan leanings here, or a lot of people with nuanced political leanings here.

For me, I was Next Generation Left when I first took the quiz, but when I changed my answer to one question (I didn't agree with either position) I ended up being a Young Outsider. I think this makes sense for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
I'm a Solid Liberal:

Generally affluent and highly educated, most Solid Liberals strongly support the social safety net and take very liberal positions on virtually all issues. Most say they always vote Democratic and are unflagging supporters of Barack Obama. Overall, Solid Liberals are very optimistic about the nation’s future and are the most likely to say that America’s success is linked to its ability to change, rather than its reliance on long-standing principles. On foreign policy, Solid Liberals overwhelmingly believe that good diplomacy – rather than military strength – is the best way to ensure peace.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Political Typology Quiz | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

I'm wondering if we'll see a lot of people with strong partisan leanings here, or a lot of people with nuanced political leanings here.

For me, I was Next Generation Left when I first took the quiz, but when I changed my answer to one question (I didn't agree with either position) I ended up being a Young Outsider. I think this makes sense for me.
That's the problem with these types of "tests". Far too many questions where you have to make a choice you don't really agree with as those are the only options.

I was called on the phone and was asked if I would take a few minutes to answer a few questions. When it got down to it the question (which is what they wanted all along) was, "if the election was tomorrow would you vote for the (R) Capito or the (D) Tennant.

I said "neither". You can't make any conclusions off questions designed to elicit certain answers.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:10 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Next Generation Left (although I'm a bit old to be "next generation" lol).

Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Holy cow, I also was 'solid liberal'.

Of course, many of the questions were difficult to answer, given the ' either this or that' format. Would have been better to have multiple choice answers (five answers, ranging from 'strongly agree' to 'strongly disagree').

Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 AM

13,956 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Business conservative.

Business Conservatives generally are traditional small-government Republicans. Overwhelming percentages think that government is almost always wasteful and it does too much better left to businesses and individuals. Business Conservatives differ from Steadfast Conservatives in their positive attitudes toward business and in their strong support for Wall Street in particular. Most think that immigrants strengthen the country and take a positive view of U.S. global involvement. As a group, they are less socially conservative than Steadfast Conservatives.

If I don't get the libertarian choice, this is about as accurate as it could be.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:47 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Next Generation Left (although I'm a bit old to be "next generation" lol).
Same here, and I thought the same, I am too old to be considered the next generation, that boat sailed a long while back. Hmmmm, must mean we are still young at heart and mind, yeah, that sounds like a good explanation, I will stick with that

Old 07-17-2014, 08:55 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Kinda funny. I got "steadfast conservative" even when answering "no" on the God/morality question, for acceptance of homos and low priority on marriage. I guess they recognize that the term "conservative" applies to the role of government, not social structure.

I also find it interesting that they define "business conservative" by an implied acceptance of criminal aliens.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 07-17-2014 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-17-2014, 09:50 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
Sharks - thanks for the link to the quiz.

Quote:
Steadfast Conservative

This overwhelmingly Republican group holds very conservative attitudes across most issues, including social policy and the size and scope of government. However, they generally are critical of business and Wall Street. Overall, Steadfast Conservatives also express highly negative attitudes toward immigrants and take a skeptical view of U.S. global involvement.
I don't agree with Pew's characterization of "highly negative attitudes toward immigrants". I hold negative attitudes toward the illegal immigrant issue (and the shenanigans Obama is using to confer legal status on the recent wave of immigrants); I don't hold negative attitudes towards immigrants as people. The distinction is real but liberals don't seem to get the nuance.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:27 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Harrier is a Business Conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies