Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 02:21 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times

Advertisements

So who's the one acting like a mutant delinquent?

Quote:
Plastic or food? Sea creatures can’t tell the difference.
Fox News: Green turtles are dying because they're eating plastic that looks like food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 02:31 PM

Like I said the regional cultural milieu of the midwest was a 180 from what it has been for the past century or so.

The Life and Writings of Frederick Douglass: Early years, 1817-1849, p. 32 & 56.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:47 PM

Previous generations protested against One World Gubbermint & their obsession to create a plantation utopia even if it means bio & cultural genocide on a global (now some of them are even considering harming other planets' ecosystems for their own need for greed) scale.

The current generation is pretty much a disappointment apeing, assimilating & imitating the most disgusting & despicable aspects of massah.

So I guess its up to the next generation of STEM sensations.

Quote:
This article is adapted from his book, ''Star Warriors,'' to be published by Simon & Schuster in October. timissile shield, known officially as the Strategic Defense Initiative and popularly as ''Star Wars.''

The ''Star Wars'' venture is one of the biggest research programs in the history of Western civilization, an effort rivaling the Manhattan Project, which gave birth to the first nuclear weapon, and the Apollo moon program.

Unlike the Manhattan Project, which was shrouded in secrecy, the controversial ''Star Wars'' theory has been subjected to detailed public scrutiny.
The New York Times Magazine: THE SECRET BEHIND STAR WARS

Old 08-31-2019, 02:11 PM

Just want to wish my fellow Americans, a blessed & beautiful holiday weekend.

I know I can be a handful but again the dissent is over policy & underlying ideology.

Despite the faults & flaws, when I see what's going on in the world, I'm relieved to be here than over there.

So again, enjoy your holiday, my fellow Americans.

Godspeed.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:03 PM

Australian Aborigines; Maori of New Zealand; Aboriginal nations of Alaska, Hawaii (who are related to the American Samona), & the mainland U.S.; the Asa Guroi Ainu of Nippon; the Kuroi Ryukyu; the Kuroi Kaoshan of Taiwan; the Gypsies of the E.U. (Roma speaking or otherwise); the Canuck Aboriginals; the Urifiyi (rule by local customs & traditions that all members of the community follow whether Muslimin, Yehudi, Nazereni, or Magian) Sumran: El Bedawin, & the Masarwa Felaha & Ghauriyah that are attached to them in the Zionist colonial state; & the Khoisan of South Africa.

The 4th World Movement of Aboriginal peoples who are not only struggling to redefine communalism in this age of plantation nations & globalizations, but also active in environmental protection & preservation such as fauna & flora.

More on HIStory.

Quote:
As you point out in the documentary, it’s not just Disney who gets her story wrong. This goes back to John Smith who marketed their relationship as a love story. What class and cultural factors have allowed that myth to persist?

That story that Pocahontas was head over heels in love with John Smith has lasted for many generations. He mentioned it himself in the Colonial period as you say. Then it died, but was born again after the revolution in the early 1800s when we were really looking for nationalist stories. Ever since then it's lived in one form or another, right up to the Disney movie and even today.

I think the reason it's been so popular—not among Native Americans, but among people of the dominant culture—is that it's very flattering to us. The idea is that this is a ‘good Indian.’ She admires the white man, admires Christianity, admires the culture, wants to have peace with these people, is willing to live with these people rather than her own people, marry him rather than one of her own. That whole idea makes people in white American culture feel good about our history. That we were not doing anything wrong to the Indians but really were helping them and the ‘good’ ones appreciated it.
Smithsonian: The True Story of Pocahontas

Old 09-13-2019, 03:59 PM

Australian Aborigines; Maori of New Zealand; Aboriginal nations of Alaska, Hawaii (who are related to the American Samona), & the mainland U.S.; the Asa Guroi Ainu of Nippon; the Kuroi Ryukyu; the Kuroi Kaoshan of Taiwan; the Gypsies of the E.U. (Roma speaking or otherwise); the Canuck Aboriginals; the Urifiyi (rule by local customs & traditions that all members of the community follow whether Muslimin, Yehudi, Nazereni, or Magian) Sumran: El Bedawin, & the Masarwa Felaha & Ghauriyah that are attached to them in the Zionist colonial state; & the Khoisan of South Africa.

The 4th World Movement of Aboriginal peoples who are not only struggling to redefine communalism in this age of plantation nations & globalizations, but also active in environmental protection & preservation such as fauna & flora.

Some interesting thoughts.

Quote:
Mr. Roe, 44, the most prominent Aboriginal opponent of the gas project, said he was defending his culture and “sense of country.” Aboriginal supporters of the gas plant, he said, are just “out for the money.”“They don’t know how to connect to country anymore,” he said. “They walk around with a dead feeling, these people, inside them.

“People make choices — I didn’t go anywhere for schooling. I stayed here and practiced and studied my law for 24 years of my life,” Mr. Roe said, referring to Aboriginal customs and traditions.

Supported by environmentalists, Mr. Roe has spoken out against the project here and in Australia’s major cities.

Mr. Bergmann has accused the environmentalists, most of whom are not Aborigines, of paternalism. The project’s opponents, he said, wanted Aborigines to remain “museum pieces” bound to their land. Supporters, he added, have been unfairly accused of “selling out” when they simply want Aborigines to benefit from the mining boom the way white Australians have.
The New York Times: Rich in Land, Aborigines Split on How to Use It

One should keep in mind, however, that the mainstream media seems to have a quite frankly, bizarre notion of "authenticity".

Quote:
His is a tale of an ice skater from Rooty Hill in Sydney who became the first Indigenous Australian to qualify for the Winter Olympics.

BBC: Winter Olympics: Harley Windsor, the Indigenous Australian ice skater breaking barriers

Old 09-14-2019, 12:37 PM

The East is burning red.

Quote:
In an attempt to boost Japan’s image in environmental matters, government officials announced Wednesday that they will scrap plans to build a landfill airport near a rare stand of blue coral off a remote island in Okinawa prefecture.

Environmentalists had waged a campaign to stop construction at the village of Shiraho on Ishigaki Island, saying it would harm one of the few coral reefs that has escaped destruction related to development in the Ryukyu Islands. Soil erosion has brought on a crown-of-thorns starfish infestation that has killed about 90% of the coral in Okinawa prefecture, marine biologists say.

The L.A. Times: Japan Scraps Airport Plan In Bow to Conservationist

Old 09-27-2019, 01:34 PM

An article that I thought was a worthy addition.

Quote:
As you point out in the documentary, it’s not just Disney who gets her story wrong. This goes back to John Smith who marketed their relationship as a love story. What class and cultural factors have allowed that myth to persist?

That story that Pocahontas was head over heels in love with John Smith has lasted for many generations. He mentioned it himself in the Colonial period as you say. Then it died, but was born again after the revolution in the early 1800s when we were really looking for nationalist stories. Ever since then it's lived in one form or another, right up to the Disney movie and even today.

I think the reason it's been so popular—not among Native Americans, but among people of the dominant culture—is that it's very flattering to us. The idea is that this is a ‘good Indian.’ She admires the white man, admires Christianity, admires the culture, wants to have peace with these people, is willing to live with these people rather than her own people, marry him rather than one of her own. That whole idea makes people in white American culture feel good about our history. That we were not doing anything wrong to the Indians but really were helping them and the ‘good’ ones appreciated it.

Smithsonian: The True Story of Pocahontas

Old 10-05-2019, 12:05 PM

Just want to say thank you to all my fellow Americans for all the opportunities & potentalities I have in this here society.

When I see what's going on everywhere else, I'm sure as heck glad to be here than over there.

Again the dissent is over policy & underlying ideology.

So again thank you my fellow Americans & Godspeed.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:14 PM

A blast from the past.

Quote:
Given the record of scientific "certainty" on such issues as nuclear energy, and complacency about the ozone problem itself after ozone-depleting aerosols were banned in the 1970's, we should be skeptical about rosy assumptions by leading experts, as distinct from actual readings.

The dangers in ozone layer destruction are of apocalyptic proportions. Oceanic plankton -- the planet's "lungs," source of more than 70 percent of the world's oxygen -- are killed by ultraviolet light, and die-offs of 15 percent or more have been observed in some areas.

In addition, rain forests and agriculture could suffer catastrophe, while two-thirds of all Australians are predicted to get skin cancer during their natural lifetimes because of ozone layer depletion.

Ozone remediation is thus a necessity -- something a government willing to spend trillions of dollars on a "triad" defense system should recognize as necessary.
NYTimes Archives: Not So Fast on the Ozone Layer Celebration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies