Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,539,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because the government is too big to be efficient anymore.

Dead people receiving SS checks, tax refunds, etc. for years before the government finally figures it out.
E-verify is no different. And yes, the government will punish YOU even though you did everything you're supposed to.

I have no recollection of seeing a SS # on a death certificate. The way SS typically gets notified is when a family files for death benefits. If the family does not files and instead continues to receive and spend benefits how would Fed know? Creating a real time national data base of dead people would require more than 3000 counties to change how they track and report deaths.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not true. E-verify is something like 96-98% accurate. There are three guilty parties here, the employers, our government and the illegals themselves. Why some want to give the latter a pass is beyond me. Did someone force them to come here illegally and take a job they have no right to?
"They" would not have come without reasonable certainty of employment.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
"They" would not have come without reasonable certainty of employment.
They start up their own businesses for cash only.
They have no fear anymore.

Buy a couple of lawn mowers and a trailer.
Get some business cards made and drive though any middle class subdivision.

My brother pays $25 to get his lawn mowed.
I shook my head at this.
I was up there on July 4th and the mower's came in the afternoon to do his yard.
I said..Wow..they didn't even take July 4th off.

"Cinco de Mayo is their holiday, not July 4th" was his reply.
Sad but true.

And 2 of them showed up. One did the lawn mower and the other was behind with the trimmer.
Actually they did an excellent job and even moved plants to get at the growth behind the pots.

I can't fathom how they make money charging $25.
Then again I'm thinking taxes, permits, etc. which they don't need to bother with.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Run for congress and strangle more folks then. You want to bankrupt a company for hiring some illegal. Hey why not just not let the ILLEGAL folks in? You go take down Wells Fargo hero. lol
I don't think Wells Fargo is the problem, here.

Millions of restaurants, hotels and especially small businesses have been employing undocumented workers for the past 50 years. And then there's the millions of households who employ undocumented workers to mow their grass, trim their bushes, plow their snow, clean their homes, cook their meals, nanny their kids and tend to the needs of elderly family members.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"should, should, should"

Back to reality though..just how stiff and punitive are our current laws ?

With illegals now able to get a driver license that's one more "proof" that has fallen by the wayside that citizens can't use anymore.
Was there a federal law that trumped state rights to determine who may and may not obtain a driver's license?
Last I knew, licensing was at the state level. That some states passed legislation allowing this does not mean all 50 states did so, no?

Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

Folks in the US don't really understand what a third world country is.
That's for sure.
Most born in the US have never travelled outside the US.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Was there a federal law that trumped state rights to determine who may and may not obtain a driver's license?
Last I knew, licensing was at the state level. That some states passed legislation allowing this does not mean all 50 states did so, no?
One by one the Fed is overruling the states.
Why I have no clue.

Federal Court Rules That Certain Illegal Aliens Have ‘Rights’ & Arizona Must Issue Them Driver’s Licenses

Old 07-19-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What we do is pass mandatory E-Verify with big teeth to back it. Huge fines and jail time. Right now greedy employers get away with saying they didn't know.
With this pass laws that require the Fed to seize the assets of the illegals to help offset the cost of deportation. Believe me no illegal will risk the loss.
As the illegals waits for their court date put them to work on the border building a fence. Pay them minimum wage. Those wages will go into an account that will also be used to pay for their deportation. Punishment to fit the crime. Put their former employers to work right next to them.
Most states have no interest in e-verify because those who employ undocumented workers and their trade associations make it clear they don't want it. So the politicians embrace spending $ tens of billions more a year building and maintaining fences and patrolling the borders and continue to turn a blind eye towards the root cause of illegal immigration.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Most states have no interest in e-verify because those who employ undocumented workers and their trade associations make it clear they don't want it. So the politicians embrace spending $ tens of billions more a year building and maintaining fences and patrolling the borders and continue to turn a blind eye towards the root cause of illegal immigration.
Not all are turning a blind eye. CA made sure that e-verify is not enforced.

New California law bars E-Verify requirement for businesses - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-19-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Better yet, don't hire contractors that use illegal labor or buy products produced with illegal labor. Don't patronize restaurants that use illegal labor, etc.

It's really that simple.

When I lived in Florida, the biggest culprits were in the home construction and maintenance, road maintenance, restaurant, hotel and landscaping businesses.
It really is that simple. Seems to me most people want the benefits of cheap labor and then blame government for the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies