Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:45 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMc View Post
I sure do need a shower. I feel FILTHY after looking at these pictures;

http://mindprod.com/politics/iraqwarpix.html

Check out what your 'fine service members' have "accomplished".
I saw this on the site you just posted which makes it perhaps the least credible site I've ever seen - and this was what I saw with one click. No wonder you view is so distorted.

"Recently, Iraqis have beheaded an American, dragged American corpses through the streets, and fed American corpses to the dogs. Americans claim this is an outrage. Normally, it would be. Despite evidence that the beheading execution of Nick Berg was staged, and that the man in the video supposedly Zarqawi was actually US Marine Corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun, let’s presume for argument’s sake, that it was real and that the Iraqis did it, not the CIA."

Old 12-19-2007, 03:45 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
I sure do need a shower. I feel FILTHY after looking at these pictures;

http://mindprod.com/politics/iraqwarpix.html

Check out what your 'fine service members' have "accomplished".
you should feel filthy, your parents must be very proud!

Old 12-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Do you actually believe that all individuals that commit atrocities are prosecuted? Each and every one of them? That never in the history of the military has there ever been any type of cover-up of atrocities and in every situation all responsible are prosecuted and not just a few lower level “examples” made?
No I don't believe every one is prosecuted. I believe that the percentage that commit atrocities and get away with it is much smaller than the percentage that serve honorably.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:47 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
I remember reading an article fairly recently about some airforce douchebag who works M-F / 9am-5pm from a secret airbase in Nevada. His job?. Piloting a remote control bomber flying missions thousands of miles away in Iraq. He sits at a desk (I kid you not) with his coffee mug at hand and follows the directives of on-the-ground observers who help him 'pin-point' his targets. Totally clueless as to the accuracy of his spotters he simply annihilates whatever he is told to annihilate. "My bad" if it turns out the 'munitions depot' he just blew-up turned out to actually be just a childrens hospital or powdered-milk factory. Then this guy goes home every night, hugs his kids and they probably all sit around the dinner table while the wife asks him "Sooo, how was your day at the office honey?".

I can answer for him. "It was MURDER babe!".
Since when does the US have remote control bombers? We have spotter drones, but I don't believe that we have remote control bombers. I would like to know the source of your story, if you actually have one...

Meanwhile, here is an actual story about remote control weapon system development by the military, still in it's early stages:

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=12003

And here is another story on remote control military developments, though very limited in their current capabilities:

http://www.mindfully.org/Technology/...-UAV7nov04.htm

Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,366,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Those that commit atrocities are prosecuted. This seems to go unnoticed by those that want to continue demean the military.
I think in your defense to claim that those who commit atrocities are prosecuted, you actually acknowledged that there are those who are serving who commit atrocities. That’s the fundamental issue, not that prosecution happens, but that there are those who serve who commit atrocities.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
War is indeed messy. No one has claimed otherwise. However, aren't you concerned why the war took place? Do you think it's in the interest of ordinary American people or a small group with an interest in the country and the region? Please face the truth and refrain from jingoism.

Quote:
War is messy. Our military is not perfect. We go to great lengths to prevent mistakes and atrocities to the extent of costing us lives. There are people that commit atrocities and get prosecuted. Sure, some get away with things. The last two groups are a very, very small segment of the military. To characterize the entire military as murderers is atrocious in itself.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
I think in your defense to claim that those who commit atrocities are prosecuted, you actually acknowledged that there are those who are serving who commit atrocities. That’s the fundamental issue, not that prosecution happens, but that there are those who serve who commit atrocities.
No, the fundamental issue in the OP was broader than the few that do commit atrocities; it was a characterization of the military.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:52 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
TO SEAN McC:

i could say a lot about this sad post of yours but won't as folks like you aren't worth the time, but I will ask if you have ever heard about Loyalty to Country and Patriotism? Sad, sad post indeed, and those poor soldiers are fighting so YOU can make such posts...what an abuse of freedom.. This poster was kind to ylo but as a Veteran Army Officer who volunteered and fought to preserve even YOUR rights I am offended. Welcome to my block list.
I didn't used to use that little ignore button, but I didn't even bother with this one. I just clicked on "ignore" because I realize this person is never going to say anything I would want to hear.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:52 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
I saw this on the site you just posted which makes it perhaps the least credible site I've ever seen - and this was what I saw with one click. No wonder you view is so distorted.

"Recently, Iraqis have beheaded an American, dragged American corpses through the streets, and fed American corpses to the dogs. Americans claim this is an outrage. Normally, it would be. Despite evidence that the beheading execution of Nick Berg was staged, and that the man in the video supposedly Zarqawi was actually US Marine Corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun, let’s presume for argument’s sake, that it was real and that the Iraqis did it, not the CIA."
Rggr, you are trying to talk sense with the same kind of people that spit on our troops returning from Vietnam. They hate the military and all that it stands for. Just too bad they arent living in one of their utopian countries that they believe is so much better than America! We would be hearing a different tune then!

Old 12-19-2007, 03:54 PM

129 posts, read 83,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow, well, I bet the youth of America appreciates you calling them dumb.

FYI, the reason our country wants to recruit young men is because they're in TOP PHYSICAL FORM and--BIG ONE HERE, try to keep up--many don't have wives and children.

I know it's hard, but think about it. Try not to strain yourself.

from Jim Henslin's Down to Earth Sociology;
http://books.google.com/books?id=LF2...8p8D8fmq_vQL-U

"It's easier if you catch them young. You can train older men to be soldiers; it's done in every major war. But you can never get them to believe that they like it, which is the major reasons armies try to get their recruits before they're 20. There are other reasons too, like the physical fitness, lack of dependants and economic dispensability of teenagers, that make armies prefer them, but the most important qualities teenagers bring to basic training are enthusiasm and naivete. Many of them actively want the discipline and closely structured that the armed forces will provide, so there is no need to deceive the kids about what will happen to them after they join."

Sociology 101. Has anyone here ever been to college?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies