Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:09 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times

Advertisements

This study compares the average job growth of 13 states against the average job growth of 37 states. It tells us nothing about the causes of job growth. The linked article is lacking in details that would allow us to draw any real conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
There must be some really dumb liberals here.., a lot of those who raised minimum wage are only small increases and not $15.... Those that did raise $15 are only local raises and not take effect for a while... So increase minimum wage won't be seen in these statistics and even then, will only be seen in local regions years from now...

Old 07-20-2014, 10:48 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
New data released by the Department of Labor suggests that raising the minimum wage in some states might have spurred job growth, contrary to what critics said would happen.
"Suggests" and "might have" are weasel words. "Job growth" is another vague term.

That's all evidence of propaganda and disinformation.

What do the immutable Laws of Economics say about a barista at Starsux? Barista can either make you a cappuccino or assemble a TV, but not both at the same time.

That's a function of Opportunity Costs and Capital usage.

Raising the minimum wage might have killed jobs and freed up Capital to be used in other endeavors, which created jobs.

That's one of many reasons people like me want to end minimum wage. The Laws of Economics govern the use of Capital. They work to ensure Capital is used most efficiently. If you attempt to interfere with those Laws, then you suffer.

You should consider that minimum wage subsidizes many jobs and also subsidizes the use of Capital in a manner that is inefficient. End minimum wage, and you free up Labor Capital, Cash Capital, Credit Capital and so much more to be used more efficiently in other sectors of the economy.

Economically...

Mircea

Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
There must be some really dumb liberals here.., a lot of those who raised minimum wage are only small increases and not $15.... Those that did raise $15 are only local raises and not take effect for a while... So increase minimum wage won't be seen in these statistics and even then, will only be seen in local regions years from now...
You could have made your point without the insult. I guess that was too difficult for you.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If what you say is true.....that is a reason not to have a minimum wage.

As they produce more there pay will increase.

If it does not.....they will move on to other employers who will pay more.

Think about employees who make more than minimum wage.....they have a chance of a raise.
Then why haven't wages kept pace with productivity? Could it possibly be that business will only pay what they must and without the gov't enforcing that 'must' you wind up with low pay, no worker's comp, and no pensions?

You know...like in 'the good old days'?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Then why haven't wages kept pace with productivity? Could it possibly be that business will only pay what they must and without the gov't enforcing that 'must' you wind up with low pay, no worker's comp, and no pensions?

You know...like in 'the good old days'?
Because there IS a minimum wage.

That magic amount that makes employment OK......also stifles wages.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. productivity comes from SKILLED workers....min wage is for UNSKILLED workers
2. we (the federal level) raise the min wage in 07/09...and that was part of the recession
To address you first point, that may have been true once upon a time but it is no longer so. You can work for years without ever rising out of minimum wage, even once you are 'skilled' at the job. Or they'll offer you a nickel an hour increase. Big whoop.

By making minimum wage the standard wage, without wages keeping pace with the cost of living, we have condemned whole groups into never escaping the poverty line. You cannot save, you cannot improve your lot by going to college, you can only run faster to stay in the same place.

A recent study said in order for Wal-Mart to offer all minimum-wage employees a living wage, the cost of the average item would go way up...a whole entire penny. But the savings overall regarding things like WIC, supplemental food at schools, and other welfare programs their part-time workers rely on would be in the range of $600,000 per *store* per year. There are currently 4177 Wal-Marts just in the USA. The taxpayer is currently subsidizing every Wal-Mart, every McDonald's, every other place that pays only minimum wage. Who are the real moochers? People who work hard for little pay, or the huge multi-national corporations?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:40 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
To address you first point, that may have been true once upon a time but it is no longer so. You can work for years without ever rising out of minimum wage, even once you are 'skilled' at the job. Or they'll offer you a nickel an hour increase. Big whoop.

By making minimum wage the standard wage, without wages keeping pace with the cost of living, we have condemned whole groups into never escaping the poverty line. You cannot save, you cannot improve your lot by going to college, you can only run faster to stay in the same place.

A recent study said in order for Wal-Mart to offer all minimum-wage employees a living wage, the cost of the average item would go way up...a whole entire penny. But the savings overall regarding things like WIC, supplemental food at schools, and other welfare programs their part-time workers rely on would be in the range of $600,000 per *store* per year. There are currently 4177 Wal-Marts just in the USA. The taxpayer is currently subsidizing every Wal-Mart, every McDonald's, every other place that pays only minimum wage. Who are the real moochers? People who work hard for little pay, or the huge multi-national corporations?
The customers of Wal-Mart are the real moochers. They get low prices off the backs of the taxpayers and it's likely that the majority of Wal-Mart customers use some type of welfare.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:10 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
We will have a real life example of how minimum wage impacts spending and jobs soon. Seattle enacted a phased in $15 minimum wage starting next year.

This debate will no longer be hypothetical. We will see actual results.
We've ALREADY had a real life example every time they raised the minimum wage. I used to live there. I lived there for 13 years. The prices for everything are very, very expensive. Where I live now, the minimum wage is lower, yes, but most of the jobs in this area pay relatively the same as what you can get in Seattle for menial labor jobs. And the prices here are much, much lower. I'm paying NOW here, what I paid in Seattle 10 years ago.

It's already been proven that raising the minimum wage does NOTHING for those who work minimum wage jobs.

Also, as someone else pointed out, how many of those were part time jobs? How many of those were full time jobs? A part time job doesn't help out a whole lot when the min wage worker STILL has to work two to three part time jobs just to be able to pay the ridiculously high rent or property taxes in that area, NOR does it cover the insane cost of food, in that area, as examples. Why do the prices keep going up? Think about that...why do they keep going up?

Further, did anyone read this paragraph?

Quote:
"Economists who support a higher minimum say the figures are encouraging, though they acknowledge they don't establish a cause and effect. There are many possible reasons hiring might accelerate in a particular state.
In other words, nothing has been proven by this recent increase. (emphasis mine)

Old 07-20-2014, 12:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
We've ALREADY had a real life example every time they raised the minimum wage. I used to live there. I lived there for 13 years. The prices for everything are very, very expensive. Where I live now, the minimum wage is lower, yes, but most of the jobs in this area pay relatively the same as what you can get in Seattle for menial labor jobs. And the prices here are much, much lower. I'm paying NOW here, what I paid in Seattle 10 years ago.

It's already been proven that raising the minimum wage does NOTHING for those who work minimum wage jobs.

Also, as someone else pointed out, how many of those were part time jobs? How many of those were full time jobs? A part time job doesn't help out a whole lot when the min wage worker STILL has to work two to three part time jobs just to be able to pay the ridiculously high rent or property taxes in that area, NOR does it cover the insane cost of food, in that area, as examples. Why do the prices keep going up? Think about that...why do they keep going up?

Further, did anyone read this paragraph?

In other words, nothing has been proven by this recent increase. (emphasis mine)
Nobody has claimed claimed a cause and effect, merely an interesting observation. I was expecting at least one of these states to get it wrong and hike min wage above the market rate, but it looks like that either hasn't happened or if it did the employers are ok with it. The states are too random and too spread out though, so I can't help but wonder why the states that raised min wage saw faster growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies