Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 05:31 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have heard about this but don't know the pros and cons. Would it make sense to just return the land to its natural state?

But maybe the population isn't shrinking?

Thunder On The Great Plains: Once Written-Off Region Enjoying Remarkable Revival - Forbes
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I don't know much about this 'depopulation' you speak of, but I wouldn't call it a 'good' thing. Calling bad would be hyperbole, but good is just as much an exaggeration. Bring it back to it's natural state sounds lovely I suppose, but it won't happen, even with depopulation. Even if a small town ends up deserted, the infrastructure that was that town won't just magically turn into prairie grass. The natural state is long gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Regions depopulate, as they should, when economic circumstances make it the prudent thing to do. We should do nothing to either encourage, nor discourage it, but simply allow it to occur..at its own natural pace.
Yeah tell the bad economy to the people of North Dakota..

High School Drop Outs Making $75,000 a year starting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Did you actually read your own link? The article states that the population of the plains states are growing, unemployment is low, and the states are prospering.

Being from this area, we would prefer that those on either coast remain where they are. You live in Nirvana and there would be no reason to consider moving to the desolate, frigid, "flyover" area which is populated with gun toting rubes. The summers are hot, winters cold, and we constantly threatened by tornadoes.

Oddly, I posted this while cleaning a .25-06 and .243 bolt guns which were sighted in yesterday on my farm. We periodically thin out the local coyotes, as the damn things threaten my cats. This is no place for those who despise guns, hunting, Christianity, and hard work. Stay put!
Get a .50 Upper, reach out, reach out a touch something..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 05:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Yeah tell the bad economy to the people of North Dakota..

High School Drop Outs Making $75,000 a year starting..

ND is having a few good years, which will wither away in a few more years, but they had several terrible decades.

Overall, their economy long-term has been pithy, at best.

And even when they have low unemployment, we are talking of states with lower populations than many mid-level cities. This is not a region millions of teens should flock to.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Default Is the depopulation of the Great Plains a good thing?

Stalin did Ukraine.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
ND is having a few good years, which will wither away in a few more years, but they had several terrible decades.

Overall, their economy long-term has been pithy, at best.

And even when they have low unemployment, we are talking of states with lower populations than many mid-level cities. This is not a region millions of teens should flock to.
Only do to relying on federal dollars..

Some say that boom can last 15 years, hell some say 50..I mean we have not seen the real boom as of us there is a ocean of Oil underneath the pocket we are tapping today..

I agree with the last part, keep the morons out dont let them mess it up..

Old 07-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Stalin did Ukraine.
That he did... 7,000,000 killed in less then 6 months during the Holodomor.

That is why you never disarm.....

Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
That he did... 7,000,000 killed in less then 6 months during the Holodomor.

That is why you never disarm.....
Agree.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:58 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:

I agree with the last part, keep the morons out dont let them mess it up..
The coasts are making too much money in too nice a climate to want any part of the Great Plains.
90% of America would want no part of the Plains, largely, but not totally, due to weather issues.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:12 PM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Did you actually read your own link? The article states that the population of the plains states are growing, unemployment is low, and the states are prospering.
I did indeed, which is why I included it.

However, many sources say population in the rural areas of the plains is decreasing.

Researcher at KU tracks depopulation of Kansas and Great Plains - KU News

Old 07-20-2014, 07:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have heard about this but don't know the pros and cons. Would it make sense to just return the land to its natural state?

But maybe the population isn't shrinking?

Thunder On The Great Plains: Once Written-Off Region Enjoying Remarkable Revival - Forbes
What? You expect everyone to starve? Why do big city people demand places they'll never see be run the way THEY want?

Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
The first link is from Forbes, which I always find a bit "off" in thought processes. The second is from 5 years ago and may not apply any more.

Certainly Omaha, DH's hometown, has had the lowest unemployment rate of any big city for the last several years. The people who live there really seem to like it, aside from a few outliers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies