Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:59 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Weed aint no joke. Half the hi skool team is smokin dope now. From what I've seen. I know potheads think its all great and fine........but it aint. Heck back in the day I was one...............well not a "head" but all my buddies who are in jail were.
Not the place to argue it, but weed has been legalized in Colorado and we have seen a drop in crime and traffic accidents, NOT an increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Not the place to argue it, but weed has been legalized in Colorado and we have seen a drop in crime and traffic accidents, NOT an increase.
Puff up............lol

So what statistics has Colorado dumped to make your claim? Weed makes all calm and well it appears in your eyes. lol. Hey if you have the data then good. Maybe I'm wrong. Smoking while driving is still an arrest.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Never been there.........but it was probably a nice spot............well probably is a nice spot.
Tulsa the place is a bit drear. Tulsa the people are great. We loved our time living in Tulsa. It's people that make a place after all.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Puff up............lol

So what statistics has Colorado dumped to make your claim? Weed makes all calm and well it appears in your eyes. lol. Hey if you have the data then good. Maybe I'm wrong. Smoking while driving is still an arrest.
Six months after marijuana legalization: Colorado tax revenue skyrockets as crime falls

Report shows fewer traffic fatalities after states pass medical-pot laws

I don't advocate reckless driving of any kind.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:08 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So the cities are growing but the rural areas are depopulating? (I don't know, I'm just asking).

What are the long terms effects of that? Good or bad?
To get this discussion a little bit back on topic, from what I've seen in where I've lived, answering this question is complicated. There are people here, (southern MS), for example, who are perfectly happy never to have traveled outside the region, by which I mean just the surrounding counties, and while that has not been my experience, who am I to argue with that. My town does, however, have hospitals, reasonably well-stocked grocery stores, and a mid-sized university that offers cultural events along with other amenities. And this small city itself is growing as opposed to the super-rural areas, which means more jobs, housing starts, and other indicators of economic health.

When I buried my grandparents in rural Iowa, though, the town they had lived in until retirement was clearly dying. We kids who needed to fly in flew in to Minneapolis (the closest big airport) and then rented cars to drive in--we had to stay at a hotel in a town some 20 miles away from the church and burial site because that was the closest available. We met up with family at the only cafe in my grandparents' hometown for breakfast, and then proceeded to the funerals. There were basically two main streets left in that little town, and from what I observed, it seemed mostly older folks lived there anymore. What that spells for people who live there are long drives for fresh groceries, doctor's appointments, essential shopping, and so on. Schools also have a hard time getting young and talented teachers to move and stay there for somewhat obvious reasons.

In retrospect, I realized that my grandpa, a WWII Marine and electrician for the local utility company, decided along with my grandma to move upon his retirement to my parents' relatively urban location. (As a ten-year-old at the time, I somewhat megalomaniacally and typically ascribed their motive to my grandparents' desire to live closer to me!) In reality, they did what many in the 80s and beyond did: they wanted to be closer to more stuff to do, better health care, and a more vibrant culture in general. And I'm sure being closer to family was also a factor. They had the means to leave, they wanted to, so they did.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not knocking rural middle America at all: both my parents came from there. I'm just saying that people who do not choose to live there but are rather stuck there face particular challenges, including access to health care, adequate healthy food, and cultural outlets. Food deserts are particularly devastating for both the highly urbanized and poor and the equally poor and rural U.S.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:09 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That article is a load of crap. Small towns on the not-so-great plains are dying, the landscape is about as dull as you can get, the weather sucks, and then you have all the wack job conservatives. No thanks!
So true. Conservatives still ban liquor by the drink in a bunch of counties in the Great Plains.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Low crime
Low taxes
Low nanny statism
More freedom
More privacy

Tell you what lefttist stay in the city, we keep the suburbs and country.

Also Agenda 21 and its affects on this nation are being to became very self evident.
In Oklahoma, the towns with some of the lowest crime rates are the suburbia of Oklahoma and Tulsa. The tiny towns, say under 5000, may have even less crime, but who wants to live there?

Old 07-22-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
What do you have against Oky land? Nobody makes you or anybody else move anywhere...........well for the time being. I guess you folks think you should tell folks where to live now? You are all a joke...........go away and leave folks alone. All we ask.
I live and was born there. I complain about it but choose to tolerate it. I don't have this adventuresome spirit some people have in the belief that the grass is always greener somewhere else, so you gotta lift your roots.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-22-2014 at 02:33 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Weed aint no joke. Half the hi skool team is smokin dope now. From what I've seen. I know potheads think its all great and fine........but it aint. Heck back in the day I was one...............well not a "head" but all my buddies who are in jail were.
That's the worse thing about marijuana. You may end up in prison and a felony record when you get out. Good luck finding a good job.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I have lived in many places, and I would move to OK. I fantasize about Tulsa all the time, it was SOOOOO beautiful last time I was there.
You're a rare one. Anyway, the drive to Tulsa is a little more beautiful by being more forested and hillier than the drive to Oklahoma City.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-22-2014 at 02:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies