Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should We Allow Robots?
Yes 61 82.43%
No 13 17.57%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:34 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Strawman? I'm not building straw man. That fallacy is creating a artificial event and taking it down. Robots are a technology output of man, same as Planes, Jets, automobiles, etc. Robots are just the next natural evolution of our technology capability.

Computers and cash registers, cars, trucks, and planes all displaced workers. I'm sure that there were people worried about these machines and were just as worried about 2014 as you are about 2050

to even GUESS on what jobs there will be on 2050 is a work of idiotic. We have faced predictions of horror before. . .from Super Freakeconomics "In 1894, the Times of London estimated that by 1950 every street in the city would be buried nine feet deep in horse manure. One New York prognosticator of the 1890s concluded that by 1930 the horse droppings would rise to Manhattan’s third-story windows."

Perhaps it is time to learn from your alarmist predecessors.

1) we don't know what jobs will be created by these robots
2) we don't know what other opportunities will be created by the new workforce/science/technology

So declaring that 2050 is in trouble, is about as smart as saying that 1950 we will be buried under horse manure.

Just like the horse manure, the solution may not yet be invented. There is no way to solve for 2050 until we are in 2050.

Someone needs to go back to Critical thinking - False dilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chris he does not care, he just a Neo-Luddiite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,601 times
We already have robots. They are called DEMOCRAT VOTERS.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
LMFAO..Such a win!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:49 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Strawman? I'm not building straw man. That fallacy is creating a artificial event and taking it down. Robots are a technology output of man, same as Planes, Jets, automobiles, etc. Robots are just the next natural evolution of our technology capability.

Computers and cash registers, cars, trucks, and planes all displaced workers. I'm sure that there were people worried about these machines and were just as worried about 2014 as you are about 2050

Perhaps it is time to learn from your alarmist predecessors.

1) we don't know what jobs will be created by these robots
2) we don't know what other opportunities will be created by the new workforce/science/technology

So declaring that 2050 is in trouble, is about as smart as saying that 1950 we will be buried under horse manure.

Just like the horse manure, the solution may not yet be invented. There is no way to solve for 2050 until we are in 2050.

Someone needs to go back to Critical thinking - False dilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though - if I took the above literaly, I would pick the Technological singularity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and become one with the machine.
So, by your logic... technology has no point in which humans can make themselves obsolete?

I find that hard to believe.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
LMFAO..Such a win!
Oh cool, resorting to name calling!

Old 07-28-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Oh cool, resorting to name calling!
Really? Coming from your side? That call anyone who wants a secure border a "racist" or "xenophobia".

Coming from your side, the side that calls anyone who wants a limited government a "bigot" or "uncaring" or a "bomb thrower".

Coming from your side, the side that calls anyone who wants school vouchers and school choice are "anti education".

Coming from your side, the side that calls anyone who rejects hoaxes and and discredited sciences are "anti science" or "flat earthers".

Coming from your side, the side that calls anyone who a raises the warning about illegal immigration is a "nazi" or a "white supremacists".

Coming from your side, the side that calls anyone who supports the idea cutting regulation and elimination the corporate income tax is called "greedy" or "uncaring" or "evil".

Coming from your side, the side that calls anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment and stands against any further infringement is "baby killer" or "gun bullies" or "uncaring about the victims" or "insurrectionist" or "domestic terrorist"..

We can never hold a candle to your side...

Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
I read through this, and keep seeing the same old mantras "its your fault for not getting a relevant education".

I'm a software engineer. Of the people that go to school for it, about half can actually do the job. Theres no replacement for "the knack". Either you have it, or you don't. And the VAST majority don't.

The majority of people do not have the innate skill to hack it for the jobs that will remain for a short time. The majority here are doomed.

This is not a liberal/conservative argument here, although people seem to think it is.

Some of the best arguments are very reasonable ones that say "new jobs will appear" because historically thats what has occurred. But I have to say-this time its different. This time its that we as humans will be exceeded in every aspect by our creations. not just one specific skill, but in the vast majority of skills.

Those going on about "see what happens when you pay someone $15/hr for minimum wage hahahahha". Are missing the point entirely. $15 or $7 those folks are going to be replaced, the only thing you are discussing is if its in 9 or 10 years. We're working on robots to pick things in fields. Replacing a ton of low paid workers. And this is something pretty freaking complex to actually do!.

Those saying "It will never happen as its too complex" need to pay attention. We're going to let them drive cars. The technology and software are RAPIDLY expanding.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:21 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post

We can never hold a candle to your side...
You obviously haven't been actually READING some of the comments from your side lately. No really.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:37 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I read through this, and keep seeing the same old mantras "its your fault for not getting a relevant education".

I'm a software engineer. Of the people that go to school for it, about half can actually do the job. Theres no replacement for "the knack". Either you have it, or you don't. And the VAST majority don't.

The majority of people do not have the innate skill to hack it for the jobs that will remain for a short time. The majority here are doomed.

This is not a liberal/conservative argument here, although people seem to think it is.

Some of the best arguments are very reasonable ones that say "new jobs will appear" because historically thats what has occurred. But I have to say-this time its different. This time its that we as humans will be exceeded in every aspect by our creations. not just one specific skill, but in the vast majority of skills.

Those going on about "see what happens when you pay someone $15/hr for minimum wage hahahahha". Are missing the point entirely. $15 or $7 those folks are going to be replaced, the only thing you are discussing is if its in 9 or 10 years. We're working on robots to pick things in fields. Replacing a ton of low paid workers. And this is something pretty freaking complex to actually do!.

Those saying "It will never happen as its too complex" need to pay attention. We're going to let them drive cars. The technology and software are RAPIDLY expanding.
That's a real problem right now. If one has been unemployed for a year or more, technology has already passed him by. He also bears the stigma of being unemployed in the first place to overcome. Technology stands still for no one.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Well own a business and no one can replace you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies