Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2014, 08:18 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,737,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I didn't notice your post, sorry.

Quote:
That's sometimes true and sometimes not, depends on the issue and the group. Politicians need money, undoubtedly, they can't even go out and try to win the votes without it under our system. But look at the background checks issue, I don't think all the polls are wrong, it has stronger support than Social Security, and yet it never had a chance. That's not the people, that's big money. Same thing if we're talking a lot of other issues of course.
No, the polls were proven wrong the sites in the links prove it.

90% of Americans Support Background Checks. And? | The Truth About Guns

Universal Background Checks for Dummies | The Truth About Guns

Where Does That "90% of Americans Support Expanded Background Checks" Come From? | The Truth About Guns

Gun Control Lies Files: - '90 Percent Support for Background Checks'

Remember those claims that 80 to 90% of Americans wanted expanded background checks?: Well, they were clearly wrong - Crime Prevention Research Center

Quote:
But who's driving the bus here? You mentioned how they send you gloom and doom material, especially around election time. Would gun owners all arrive at these opinions completely independently if say, there was no NRA? Or is the NRA helping drive opinion in the direction they want it to go. At this moment in time, I agree with what you're saying about the NRA and it's membership, but I would say that the NRA played a role in getting us to this point by doing their part to shape the opinions of gun owners on the issue.
Yes we most likely would because the facts are correct.

"The Truth has not agenda but the media and politicians do". The opinion of gun owners and the American people are one in the same, we have too many laws that do nothing but limit our rights..

Quote:
I have a Mosin-Nagan M1891 that holds five rounds. (bolt action)

A Winchester 94 .30-30 that holds seven. (lever action)

My brother has a Remington shotgun that holds five. (pump action)

My friend has a semi-automatic Ruger with a clip that holds 25 round (actually he has two of them and they attach clunkily to each other upside down so he can flip it, so it's more like 50 rounds). I say clunkily because he basically has now resorted to duct tape to keep them together. It's the handyman's secret weapon.

At range, the Winchester wins easily, unless you're wearing body armor, then probably the Mosin-Nagant. But more dangerous in most common situations? I'd say the Ruger wins easily. It can move through 50 rounds quick. If assault rifles weren't more dangerous than traditional rifles, the world's armies probably wouldn't use so many of them. It throws more rounds at your opponent in a shorter span of time, so of course it's more dangerous.

For starts it is not a clip, it is a magazine..

No you are wrong the Ruger is not more dangerous, the stopping power of the average .22LR is no where near that of the of average .30-30 which will do more damage per round give the weight, diameter and velocity and stop power..

No it is not more dangerous you are more likey to live after being shot with a 5.56x45 then a larger round say a 30.06 or 7.62x54R

This idea that just because they can fire faster they are some how more dangerous is fallacy.

Quote:
I don't think that necessarily follows exactly how I think you mean it (perhaps not), but I kind of see what you're saying. A background check system could register the sale, the firearm, the seller and the buyer and that information would form a de facto database. So in other words, the sale would become a de facto registration. I don't think they would make people all register their guns so that there's this sales database, they would just count on sales going forward. So if you already owned a gun, and never sold it, it would never show up.
All the more reason it will never happen and never work should it happen, which it wont..

Old 07-29-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
....and we keep telling you that you can't just up and move to another nation, like you wanted to move Down Under and insisted they'll take you "because you're a hard worker".
Have you learned nothing?
No, I like this nation the way it was and I will work to restore this nation....

Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,313,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
No, I like this nation the way it was and I will work to restore this nation....
But you keep telling people to move! Move where? You think it's so easy?
With most industrialized nations, they won't take you unless you have a great deal of money to start a business and employ citizens, or you have a skill that's in very high demand.
Being a hard worker just doesn't cut it. Feeling like it just doesn't cut it. Liking the scenery or weather just doesn't cut it.
You've been told this over and over again. We want me to say it in another language perhaps, so it will finally sink in?

Old 07-29-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
But you keep telling people to move! Move where? You think it's so easy?
With most industrialized nations, they won't take you unless you have a great deal of money to start a business and employ citizens, or you have a skill that's in very high demand.
Being a hard worker just doesn't cut it. Feeling like it just doesn't cut it. Liking the scenery or weather just doesn't cut it.
You've been told this over and over again. We want me to say it in another language perhaps, so it will finally sink in?
I was merely saying that comment in in jest in response to the recent wave of sanity that has washed over via the recent elections and the scrapping of a worthless carbon tax.

I love this nation, its culture, its values, and the Constitution...

I do keep telling other people to move, why? Because they love other nations, cultures, systems of government and economics, ect more then the the ones of this nation and wish to remake those nations and cultures onside their own.

A great system with restrictions that make immigration a benefit instead of a liability.

They can have their utopia and we can have ours, we all win...

Old 07-29-2014, 09:33 PM

4,374 posts, read 3,179,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you think all of the people coming across the border are harmless *children,* I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
I never said all the people crossing the border were children. However, talk of the National Guard being sent out is in response to the crisis of refugee children from Honduras and Guatemala - kids who are fleeing drug cartels that are trying to force them into their gangs, and threatening them with death if they don't join. And many of the children have legal relatives they could stay with in the US.

It's funny - the USA always laments if some country doesn't accept refugees, but I guess it's a case of "do as we say, not as we do". Right now for example, Jordan has over 600,000 Syrian refugees. If they had turned them away at the border, the US would have taken all kinds of punitive actions against them.

The law says child refugees have a right to due process, to be sure we're not sending them back into slavery and prostitution. I'm wary of how many more might be coming, to be sure, but I'm not comfortable with sentencing those children to death or back to be a footsoldier for the drug cartels. Surely, as one of the richest, most powerful countries in the world, we are better than that.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:38 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,228,257 times
Quote:
Back to the good ole boy days.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I never said all the people crossing the border were children. However, talk of the National Guard being sent out is in response to the crisis of refugee children from Honduras and Guatemala - kids who are fleeing drug cartels that are trying to force them into their gangs, and threatening them with death if they don't join. And many of the children have legal relatives they could stay with in the US.

It's funny - the USA always laments if some country doesn't accept refugees, but I guess it's a case of "do as we say, not as we do". Right now for example, Jordan has over 600,000 Syrian refugees. If they had turned them away at the border, the US would have taken all kinds of punitive actions against them.

The law says child refugees have a right to due process, to be sure we're not sending them back into slavery and prostitution. I'm wary of how many more might be coming, to be sure, but I'm not comfortable with sentencing those children to death or back to be a footsoldier for the drug cartels. Surely, as one of the richest, most powerful countries in the world, we are better than that.
Hey if you want be part of solution, you adopt a few of them .

The is idea that they can just come over because their nation is in its current state is a joke.

I am glad you are ok with America becoming a 3rd world, poverty stricken, crime ridden, diseased slum of a nation as long as you are comfortable and you have the good feeling for now reason..Tens of Millions of real Americans are not...

We are so heavily in debt almost $18,000,000,000,000 and growing fast..

I would only cost $10,000,000 to fly them back compared to the billions it will take to support them and that is not including the local schools and tax payers who will have to foot the tax burden and god forbid deal with the gangs they will create or join...

We are only powerful because we are nation based on law not of men...

Old 07-29-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Back to the good ole boy days.
Wanting a limited government and secure border is not racist..

Old 07-29-2014, 10:05 PM

4,739 posts, read 4,431,490 times
Quote:
Wanting a limited government and secure border is not racist..
yeah, its hypocrisy

I want a limited government, but that includes letting in anyone who has a job for work. No need for the government to be involved in the decision between a employer and whom they handle

secure border than would be easy, since the only people going across it would be true criminals

Old 07-29-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
yeah, its hypocrisy

I want a limited government, but that includes letting in anyone who has a job for work. No need for the government to be involved in the decision between a employer and whom they handle

secure border than would be easy, since the only people going across it would be true criminals
No I am against increasing legal immigration..

Fences
National Guard
Punishing any business that hire illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.