Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 02:14 PM

771 posts, read 1,459,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Today I see many Democrats who seem to want to redesign America in such a way as to make it unrecognizable to prior generations. They seem to have animosity toward, even hatred of, the way the country is.

It seems the left has become more anti-American over the last few years. How do you feel?
Ridiculous. I get really annoyed by some conservatives who seem to think that they have a monopoly on patriotism. You want to bring down the federal government? PATRIOT! You support universal healthcare? UN-AMERICAN!

Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first, and yes, that includes those that disagree with us. Ultimately both republicans and democrats have the same goal, helping our people, its just that both have very different ideas on how to achieve this. That is natural and it's the foundation of every democracy.

America will never be a country on the extreme right and it will never be a country on the extreme left, we will always be at the center. We will continuously alternate between right-leaning and left-leaning governments. That's what gives us balance, the true America is at the center of the political spectrum.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
I'm 28 and many of my family members were Democrats, but these were mostly older Democrats, many of whom were veterans. Most were Democrats because the Democrats were for the "little guy," and I always thought they generally had the nation's best interests at heart.

Today I see many Democrats who seem to want to redesign America in such a way as to make it unrecognizable to prior generations. They seem to have animosity toward, even hatred of, the way the country is.

It seems the left has become more anti-American over the last few years. How do you feel?
I think that I "question the Patriotism" of anyone in this country that wants to impose their definition of "patriotism" on anyone else.

I also tend to believe that there are very few "Democrats" left in this country - they are "transformed" in many parts of the USA.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:15 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Ask any liberal what America should be, and he'll chew your ear off. Ask him what's wrong with America, and he'll offer you a reading list. But ask him what America is-- besides a massive social service center or a collection of war crimes and corporations, and he'll have no real answers and just go to the liberal handbook and deflect as usual.

“A Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody
has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare,
free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities;
and only Law Enforcement has guns.

Such a place does exist.

It’s called prison.”

(Ayn Rand)
Rand is not too smart, but that is another topic.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:16 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Ask any liberal what America should be, and he'll chew your ear off. Ask him what's wrong with America, and he'll offer you a reading list. But ask him what America is-- besides a massive social service center or a collection of war crimes and corporations, and he'll have no real answers and just go to the liberal handbook and deflect as usual.

“A Liberal Paradise would be a place where everybody
has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare,
free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities;
and only Law Enforcement has guns.

Such a place does exist.

It’s called prison.”

(Ayn Rand)
Yeah, good old self-reliant Ayn was sure happy enough to partake of that "liberal prison" at the end of her life, when she used government healthcare rather than bankrupt her own estate treating her self-inflicted lung cancer. Such self-reliance she showed us all!

Amazing how all those lofty principles are for everyone else, but not for her. She is the definition of hypocrisy, and therefore a perfect example of the "patriotism" of the right.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:17 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
I'm 28 and many of my family members were Democrats, but these were mostly older Democrats, many of whom were veterans. Most were Democrats because the Democrats were for the "little guy," and I always thought they generally had the nation's best interests at heart.

Where do you see thesae people? I don't know or have ever in my life heard a Democrat say that stuff.
Sounds like it is just made up. We want proof.

"Today I see many Democrats who seem to want to redesign America in such a way as to make it unrecognizable to prior generations. They seem to have animosity toward, even hatred of, the way the country is."

Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM

771 posts, read 1,459,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I don't need a party to tell me how and what to think. I have certain beliefs that fall into both camps.
I think this is true of most Americans. Personally, I tend to side with Republicans in economic matters and with Democrats on social matters, for instance.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:19 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:

I don't question the patriotism of libs and democrats. I think they believe their views are correct, but they are simply confused. Heck, there are probably a lot of veterans who are democrats/libs. Should we question thier "patriotism" (particularly if one did not serve themselves)?

Most libs are probably well intended, yet thier policies to address most problems end up creating worse messes in the long run.

Think of a lib like a Barney Fife type character or one of the Three Stooges- long on intent and desire, but short on ability and effectiveness.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:29 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
I have some fairly liberal social views, so I'm not a lock-step Republican, but the difference between the anti-American left and patriots on the right (not all Republicans are patriots) could not be more pronounced.
So you are doubling down on calling half the country unpatriotic.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,655 times
Quote:

Good for you! Although I have often thought of ending it, I am ashamed to admit that I overlook the foolishly liberal political philosophy of a friend of more than 40 years. In a way it's a lot like enabling an adult child with a severe drug addiction, or looking the other way when a relative commits murder.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:34 PM

6,818 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Quote:

I suggest you visit any military base in the world and ask the soldiers who are democrats to raise their hand. Then call them unpatriotic and report back to CD.

Reggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies