Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
WOW...lol. You must have some long arms, 'cause you're really reaching on that one.

I agree with you though, it all does tie in, you've got that part right, you just have it backwards. See, if we spend more on education, which improves socioeconomic factors and leads to more opportunity, only then will we have to "spend less on gunshot wounds".... not because there'll be less guns, but because there'll be less people living lifestyles that are likely to get them shot. In other words, it's the poor education and lack of opportunity in impoverished areas that lead to the violence. You take the gun away and what do you have? You still have impoverished areas with sub-par education and lack of opportunity, that are still plagued by crime....just with less guns.

Although, this only makes sense if you are concerned with fixing the real issue, instead of just trying to come up with an easy fix to a complex problem.
And with that comes more crime, and more good people victims of violent crime..Unable to fight back.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 AM

604 posts, read 934,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
... it's the poor education and lack of opportunity in impoverished areas that lead to the violence....

I appreciate the intention of Whipper in this post however, there is some considerable evidence that it is not poverty (impoverished) that causes crime. Rather, it is crime that causes poverty.

Getting to the main point of this thread "questioning patriotism...." I can give my own incidental experience supporting a claim that there is some anti-Americanism on the left. I have, over my many years, never been with any conservatives who would say "I hate this country". However, I have heard this from the left. Most recently I was working with about half dozen 20-something women and heard a conversation among 3 of them who declared their hate for the U.S. in no uncertain terms. They were, without exception, liberals supporting democratic candidates in Minnesota.

I realize this is antidotal evidence but I'm curious to see if anyone has heard a conservative discuss their hatred of this country (not of A president, or A congress member, or a policy of this country but the country itself).

Old 08-01-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
I appreciate the intention of Whipper in this post however, there is some considerable evidence that it is not poverty (impoverished) that causes crime. Rather, it is crime that causes poverty.

Getting to the main point of this thread "questioning patriotism...." I can give my own incidental experience supporting a claim that there is some anti-Americanism on the left. I have, over my many years, never been with any conservatives who would say "I hate this country". However, I have heard this from the left. Most recently I was working with about half dozen 20-something women and heard a conversation among 3 of them who declared their hate for the U.S. in no uncertain terms. They were, without exception, liberals supporting democratic candidates in Minnesota.

I realize this is antidotal evidence but I'm curious to see if anyone has heard a conservative discuss their hatred of this country (not of A president, or A congress member, or a policy of this country but the country itself).
Valid points.

Why would want to "fundamentally transformer" a nation if you did not like it to begin with?

Why would you want to change the demographics of a nation via immigration both legal and illegal a nd it that its values, culture, people, and its politics if you did not like them begin with?

Why would you support policies and ideals with create dependency over Independence?

Why would you support ideals, views, and policies with punished success and rewarded failure?

Why would you support a failed education system that could be restored using vouchers and charter schools?

Why would you place such moronic restriction that close power planets and the cost of energy to sky rocket for such non existent gains?

Why would you stand against the 9th and 10th Amendments?

Why would use the IRS and EPA to target groups based on their values of limiting the government and its powers?

Why would they allow the ATF to run guns into Mexico, allowing guns to walk, some of them used to kill Americans and American Law Enforcement Officers, and then try to blame the American people and our 2nd Amendment rights for what clearly a false flag operation?

Why would you support disarming and greatly limiting the type of arms a people could use for self defense and the defense of our liberties, freedoms, rights, wealth, property and that of our posterity?

Such actions have proven that you would do and support the actions above not if you loved this nation, but rather wanted to change it to the point this nation would no longer be America, but some deformed, mutilated version based on the antithesis of the foundation and reason for our nations existence and creation.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:59 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
I never really understood the glorification of patriotism. I believe in honesty and being as objective as possible. If something sucks, call it out. Be skeptical of everything. Unfortunately patriotism today has taken on the expanded definition of blind love of country. It is also very arbitrary...you don't hear people walking around telling others that they need to be more patriotic about the states they live in, or the cities/towns they live in.

Being patriotic about a nation is also very shortsighted. Everything is so very temporary and fleeting. Someday none of this will exist, and nobody will remember how much you loved your country, and in the end none of it really matters. Culture is largely not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post

I'm not sure what 'antidotal' evidence means.
Could you elaborate?

Old 08-01-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I never really understood the glorification of patriotism. I believe in honesty and being as objective as possible. If something sucks, call it out. Be skeptical of everything. Unfortunately patriotism today has taken on the expanded definition of blind love of country. It is also very arbitrary...you don't hear people walking around telling others that they need to be more patriotic about the states they live in, or the cities/towns they live in.

Being patriotic about a nation is also very shortsighted. Everything is so very temporary and fleeting. Someday none of this will exist, and nobody will remember how much you loved your country, and in the end none of it really matters. Culture is largely not that important in the grand scheme of things.
That is patriotism.

That is nationalism.

Love your nation, hate and distrust your government. "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

No, it really does matter and is important..Case in point Soviet culture and American culture on that produced Genocide and horrors, and the other produce wealth and joy and took a man to the moon.

Some cultures are just smarter, stronger, and better then others..

Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not sure what 'antidotal' evidence means.
Could you elaborate?
You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:46 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
That is patriotism.

That is nationalism.

Love your nation, hate and distrust your government. "Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

No, it really does matter and is important..Case in point Soviet culture and American culture on that produced Genocide and horrors, and the other produce wealth and joy and took a man to the moon.

Some cultures are just smarter, stronger, and better then others..

Well to point out the absurdity of it, I chose to only love the suburban block I live on.

We are a blip on the radar of time...if reality is the 11 billion year old ever-expanding universe, nothing that exists on such a small time scale really tips the scales much. This is why culture is not that important. When you boil it down most of life is pretty inconsequential.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence.
Yes, but the correct term for that is "anecdotal" not "antidotal"....

He knew that, but obviously couldn't attack the content of that person's post, so he decided to attack the intelligence of the poster. It's a common diversion tactic.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Personally, I question the definition of patriotism that the conservatives and republicans seem to want introduce on this world.

Captain America these people are not.

So i'm not at all surprised that one would question patriotism of others.. .since to most people what is patriotic to these people is a self-serving, business ran, theocracy to others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies