Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

If it does not effect our national security, nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:32 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
It shows a lack in commitment, yes it would matter to me.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If it does not effect our national security, nope.
How do you measure that? Wouldn't any affair have the potential to affect the decisions of the President, particularly if he/she is about to be outed for the affair? Couldn't that have potentially negative ramifications for our country?

Clinton fired off rockets in the midst of the Lewinsky fiasco. It earned him 3 seconds of head-turning to other topics. What is someone is more desperate than Clinton?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How do you measure that? Wouldn't any affair have the potential to affect the decisions of the President, particularly if he/she is about to be outed for the affair? Couldn't that have potentially negative ramifications for our country?
Well thats hard to tell now isn't it.

If the President is having sex in the pool with an intern, for instance, he is indisposed of, meaning he is busy and can't exactly make a decision right that second.

Of course the same could be said if he was doing that with his wife also.

I believe it would be, giving secrets to his lover, or divulging information, or neglecting his standard duty because he was seeking alone time with her. Things like that.

It would be hard to measure, but I don't believe Clinton, Kennedys, or any other number of Presidential affairs had a impact on national security, and therefore I have no issue with it.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:38 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
It's possible for candidates to have known infidelities before the campaign but not during. Much depends on the spouse's reaction. It killed Mark Sanford's Governorship (hiking the Appalachian Trail/piking some Argentinian tail) and was the final nail in the coffin for Herman Cain. It hasn't hurt John McCain though - he cheated on (multiple mistresses) and dumped his crippled wife.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
According to Ronald Kessler in “The First Family Detail: Secret Service Agents Reveal the Hidden Lives of Presidents,” due Aug. 5, Bill Clinton has a buxom blond mistress code name: Energizer.

I personally could care less about a political candidate's sex life and vote for a candidate based on issues not his/her personal life, weight, age, ethnicity, gender or looks. Unless someone lived in a cave, was a nerd, or was a Mormon, there are skeletons in everyone's closet.

I'm not interested in discussing Hillary's husband's alleged mistress. I'm curious how much importance you as a voter place on a presidential candidate's personal life when deciding to vote for him/her?
Yes it does matter. Things like that are window into the character and soul of a person.

There is also the added taxpayer cost of adding secret service details to protect the bimbo, and the security risks she may create.

If a man has such little self control that he cannot restrain himself, keep his damn pants zipped for four freaking years, I don't think i can trust him to maintain the level of discipline and integrity to be the most powerful man on the planet.

Last edited by OICU812; 07-22-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-22-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Yes it does matter. Things like that are window into the character and soul of a person.

There is also the added taxpayer cost of adding secret service details to protect the bimbo, and the security risks she may create.

If a man has such little self control that he cannot restrain himself, keep his damn pants zipped for four freaking years, I don't think i can trust him to maintain the level of discipline and integrity to be the most power man on the planet.
Did you vote for McCain or Bush 1?

list of GOP adulterers

Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Clinton fired off rockets in the midst of the Lewinsky fiasco. It earned him 3 seconds of head-turning to other topics. What is someone is more desperate than Clinton?
I don't agree that the rockets he fired had anything to do with his affair, but for the sake of this discussion, I will accept the premise.

Why was he so desperate? If Americans were less judgmental about marital fidelity, maybe he wouldn't have been. Further, it has always seemed to me that this affair was about as cheap and trashy as it could get. You wonder why a man like Clinton, who could undoubtedly have had a nonmarital relationship with an attractive and accomplished woman, chose the women he did for his affairs. I can think of several possibilities, but surely one of them must be the madonna/***** dichotomy that goes with the puritanical attitudes that Clinton was raised with.

I'm not taking his side here. As I said above, I just think that marital fidelity and morality is a complex issue. Many perpetrators of domestic violence don't have nonmarital relationships. Are they moral in their marriages?

Old 07-22-2014, 08:59 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Did you vote for McCain or Bush 1?

list of GOP adulterers
Was either one of them keeping a mistress at the time? Answer - no.

What person has been elected in your lifetime, who we knew was keeping a mistress during the presidential primary or general election? Well, besides John Edwards (D) that is.

Having an affair during a person's lifetime is not the same as being elected as our president and not being able to restrain themselves while in office.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Was either one of them keeping a mistress at the time? Answer - no.

What person has been elected in your lifetime, who we knew was keeping a mistress during the primary or general election? Well, besides John Edwards (D) that is.

Having an affair during a person's lifetime is not the same as being elected as our president and not being able to restrain themselves while in office.
The OP's question was about candidades not incumbents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies