Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 12:04 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I guess diversity does come first.
Didn't you know that diversity is the most important thing in this country according to the progressive liberals.
It is not as if we can look back at history to show we became great in any other way, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
It's hilarious that some of you think that students would be ok with grades being assigned according to what is being (falsely) alleged in the OP. You'd have the best student rioting in the quad.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Really?

What does it say?

Need Harrier remind you that it states "Proportional participation of historically underrepresented racial-ethnic groups at all levels of an institution, including high status special programs, high-demand majors, and in the distribution of grades"
And what does proportional participation mean? Also have they been giving out grades based on race since 2009 and why hasn't there been outrage over it years ago?

Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Obviously they still use grades but that is not the only factor that is used now.
The "exceptional life experience of students of color" will now be taken into account.

Just like what DeBlasio is going to do to the NYC elite high schools.
If students of color are not passing then something is wrong with the current system and it has to be changed.

Go read up on these educational researchers. I have read several studies.
And many of them dismiss the Asian phenomenon as an outlier even though Asians are just as much minority as Black, Hispanic and American Indian.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
OK that was just a low blow. You cannot prove that President Obama got through Law School that way. The only reason that comment was made was not because it was true. The only way we would know this was true is if actual proof came from it. This statement I'm responding to, it was made out of anger and resentment towards the President, and I probably might suspect it was meant to be a racial jab. I can only speculate.
I didn't make the comment, but I believe your speculation is incorrect, and here is why. Unlike most presidents, Obama has guarded his past as if it were a national security matter. He refused to allow his applications and grades to be released from any school like Occidental for example.
Now we can speculate all day long, but just as some professors can be persuaded to give undeserving grades to "special students", there are those who believe this happened with Obama.

I however believe it has less to do with his grades(whether they be good or bad), and more to do with his status when applying to the different schools. That is not to say I believe he was born in Kenya. However it would not be beyond someone to try and use whatever they could to get admitted to a school they were not able to based on admissions criteria. That also applies to getting scholarship money via a grant for a foreign aid student. So while Obama may be a full fledged American, he could have pretended to be from another country on his application based on the aforementioned.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:59 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
I rarely agree with you... but in this case you nailed it!!! God damn right, skin color should have nothing to do with anything!!! FK me, will wonders never cease, urban and I agreeing... there's hope for the world yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Don't act so shocked, I am sure there are plenty of things we agree on, it is often times the process on how we get to those things that we disagree with.
I'm sure there are many things we agree on, but at this point you can't even take a compliment without being snarky.

At either end of the spectrum there is humbleness and arrogance. Which do you think you are?

As for the grades being tied to race, I posted several links showing they absolutely are, yet here you are denying any proof has been posted.

See, that's why I was amazed that we agreed; It's such a rare thing!

Old 07-23-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
It's hilarious that some of you think that students would be ok with grades being assigned according to what is being (falsely) alleged in the OP. You'd have the best student rioting in the quad.
Oh please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It's no different in the real world as well. Look at all the city and state jobs (fire, police, USPS...etc.) who have lower standards for blacks.

DAYTON — The city’s Civil Service Board and the U.S. Department of Justice have agreed on a lower passing score for the police recruit exam after it was rejected because not enough blacks passed the exam.
City agrees to lower test scores for police exam | www.daytondailynews.com

Attorney General Eric Holder and his band of merry litigators at the U.S. Department of Justice have sued Jacksonville, Florida over its fire department's promotion testing process. The Obama Administration contends that it discriminates against blacks.
Affirmative Action Blazes Out of Control at Obama Justice Department

It discriminates against blacks because it uses the same tests for everyone!!!

Dangerously incompetent fire fighters, weakened by gender quotas, dumbed by racial quota nonsense | Human Stupidity: Irrationality, Self Deception

All of this is pc nonsense of anal progressives who see quotas as somehow fair. It shows they do not trust the very education system they've instituted and managed for five decades. Rather than develop smarter students, they just mandate a certain percentage of them be hired no matter if they can do the job or not.

Pathetic
This is affirmative action gone haywire. It's nothing but a lack of respect for a given race; the definition of racism under the guise of civil rights. IT IS liberal racism, PERIOD!

There's no defense, so those trying must be selectively ignorant because nobody can be that clueless.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Didn't you know that diversity is the most important thing in this country according to the progressive liberals.
It is not as if we can look back at history to show we became great in any other way, correct?
It's backassward thinking and logic abandonment!

Some of them want us to give the country back to the "Native Americans" and they believe we stole the west from Mexico

There's no such thing as a "native" when using "from the beginning" as your starting point. Who would the "Native Americans" give the land back to? After all someone was here before them, and so on, and so on. It seems they won't be happy until someone takes the land from us.

This type of thinking (progressive extremism) is crazy foolish self loathing ideological nonsense!!!

Last edited by steven_h; 07-23-2014 at 01:24 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 01:18 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Oh please...
Sorry, but when was the last time you were in a college classroom?

Quote:
This is affirmative action gone haywire. It's nothing but a lack of respect for a given race; the definition of racism under the guise of civil rights. IT IS liberal racism, PERIOD!

There's no defense, so those trying must be selectively ignorant because nobody can be that clueless.
Grades are not being awarded based upon race. I know you want to be outraged, but you'll have to find something else to accomplish this, preferably something real.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Grades are not being awarded based upon race. I know you want to be outraged, but you'll have to find something else to accomplish this, preferably not made up this time.
Maybe not now, but what they have on the university website certainly could allow for such a thing to occur.

The professor who highlighted this did a good thing.

Now that it seems that the university is distancing itself from that policy, maybe they will get rid of the wording altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies