Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:32 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Bush is not the president.
Liberals have been told that for five years, and they still blame Bush in order to shield President Obama from any accountability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 04:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Liberals have been told that for five years, and they still blame Bush in order to shield President Obama from any accountability.
You're off topic. The topic is the U of Wisconsin, which neither Bush nor Obama attended. Now let's get back to it.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
UW-Madison does not have a plan to distribute grades based on race.

Sims: Diversity Framework does not relate to grading
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:39 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So there is a easy grading curve for blacks, easy one for Hispanics, a tough one for Asians and whites somewhere in the middle is how I see this.

So that means blacks are the least desirable to hire because their grades are reflected on race, which automatically makes them stupid.

If I were a minority, I would be insulted.
Exactly. "What, you're saying that because I'm (insert race here that is not white), I'm too stupid to earn my own good grades?" If anyone said that they were going to give me grades based on my gender, I'd leave that university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The bolded has nothing to do with grading being based on race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
UW-Madison does not have a plan to distribute grades based on race.

Sims: Diversity Framework does not relate to grading

However, Hansen’s interpretation is out of context and reflects a misunderstanding. Bensimon's point of proportional equity is intended as an outcome of plans like Inclusive Excellence being implemented and valued by institutions.
This proportional and equitable distribution of grades arises (without intervention at the time of grading) by fostering living and learning spaces that are inclusive of historically marginalized students so that they can do their best learning and earn better grades; not through the “redistribution” of artificially-enhanced grades.
Well, it's on the UW's own website. (Last I knew, uwsa dot edu was the actual website to the school.) Go read it, it was linked here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The guy is right. Grades based on race is not part of their Diversity Framework.
It's part of their Inclusive Excellence plan and it's called Representational Equity.

Definitions for Inclusive Excellence - Inclusivity, Diversity, Equity and Student Success - University of Wisconsin System
When you look under their "Diversity" paragraph, you're right, you won't find it. But if you read on, further down the exact same page titled, "Working Definitions for Inclusive Excellence", and under the paragraph titled, "Equity", and sub paragraph titled, "Representational Equity", you will see:

Quote:
Proportional participation of historically underrepresented racial-ethnic groups at all levels of an institution, including high status special programs, high-demand majors, and in the distribution of grades. (Bensimon, 2008)
Emphasis mine. You can deny it all you want, it's right there, in black and white, for all to see.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
^^If so, it's been going on since 2008.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^If so, it's been going on since 2008.
That's the research reference date.
The webpage date is 2013.

But that UW plan was approved March 2009 to replace their 2008 plan which wasn't working.
http://www.popecenter.org/acrobat/po...09_155-159.pdf

Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM

781 posts, read 736,642 times
Yeah, I've basically concluded that politics, ideologies, the various "isms" are religions. Especially for the left. Reasoning with them, logic, reality are all useless. There's no point discussing anything anymore.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just think..now more minorities can succeed in Engineering and Medicine which can lead to high paying jobs.
Many professors already heavily curve grades based on how well the class does; in one of the anatomy and physiology classes I took, one of my friend's got a 68 (which is normally a D+), but due to the curve it became a B-.

But I agree, this isn't a good idea.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:52 PM

781 posts, read 736,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The bolded has nothing to do with grading being based on race.
Oh please don't "p**s down my neck and call it rain". It's exactly that. This kind of thing is the left's Newspeak double-talk verbal wall paper they use to talk about race. You think we were born frickin' yesterday!? I guess next you're going to tell me you've got a bridge to sell me.... I knew the left was just out and out lying at this point. No point in even listening to their polysyllabic blah anymore.

Old 07-22-2014, 04:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Many professors already heavily curve grades based on how well the class does; in one of the anatomy and physiology classes I took, one of my friend's got a 68 (which is normally a D+), but due to the curve it became a B-.

But I agree, this isn't a good idea.
It depends on the school. One of my professors failed nearly half the class and gave no curve to adjust to grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies