Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 04:02 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
IF no one can "estimate it" then no one knows what it is - so it's pointless to make claims about it either way.

Ken

PS - My 3% referred to HEALTH INSURANCE overhead and profit costs. It had nothing do with liability insurance.
But you did refer to the 1% cost in your malpractice argument.

"You are uinformed. Legal costs are a very small part of healthcare costs (less than 1%).

U.S. malpractice lawsuits not fueling high cost of healthcare - UPI.com"

Just saying people will spin it anyway they want to.

All I know is the health systems that cost cheapest in the USA are the ones that cannot get sued or very haed to get sued (military and Va health system).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
But you did refer to the 1% cost in your malpractice argument.

"You are uinformed. Legal costs are a very small part of healthcare costs (less than 1%).

U.S. malpractice lawsuits not fueling high cost of healthcare - UPI.com"

Just saying people will spin it anyway they want to.

All I know is the health systems that cost cheapest in the USA are the ones that cannot get sued or very haed to get sued (military and Va health system).
Sure - but if we can't know what those "defensive costs" are there's no point in debating them or making estimates about them - and I do agree that "defensive costs" are a big unknown. The 1% refers to "known" costs that can be discussed without a lot of pure guesswork.

Ken

Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Sure - but if we can't know what those "defensive costs" are there's no point in debating them or making estimates about them - and I do agree that "defensive costs" are a big unknown. The 1% refers to "known" costs that can be discussed without a lot of pure guesswork.

Ken
I'll agree with that.

Anyways. With the insurers margins of so called 3%. It's all funny numbers. We all know that. Business can accelerate or defer income to show different number.

The insurers are so in bed with the Obama administration when they wrote the ACA. It's no secret.

They aren't going away anytime soon.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I'll agree with that.

Anyways. With the insurers margins of so called 3%. It's all funny numbers. We all know that. Business can accelerate or defer income to show different number.

The insurers are so in bed with the Obama administration when they wrote the ACA. It's no secret.

They aren't going away anytime soon.
Well, as I said, I'm no fan of the insurance companies but as long as we have a non-single-payer healthcare system, they are a part of the equation have to be considered. That's just the reality.

Ken

Old 07-23-2014, 04:46 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If the republicans don't recognize that this boat has already sailed, and successfully manage to destroy the ACA, they will seal their fates as a political party.

I bet they will be popular with the majority of Americans that despise this poor excuse of legislation.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:47 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
They can't and aren't.

It's coming apart on its own because it is a mess that was passed without being properly analyzed.

The lighting likely wasn't very good at those late night back room deal making & arm twisting sessions needed to pass this.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:52 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Where do you get that from what you linked to?

From your link:

"...As I wrote yesterday, there's still a chance that the entire D.C. Circuit overturns yesterday's 2-1 decision, in which the court found the IRS isn't authorized to administer premium subsidies in the 36 states declining to set up their own insurance exchanges. If that decision gets overturned, then you'd have the D.C. Circuit in agreement with the 4th Circuit in Virginia — that federal exchanges can offer subsidies just like the state-run exchanges. Having similar rulings in the appellate courts could make it more likely that the Supreme Court wouldn't take up these challenges...

...I e-mailed Sunstein — who was working for the administration when the contested IRS subsidy rule was issued — to ask whether he sees potential trouble for ACA subsidies given the EPA decision. He declined (albeit politely) to offer much of a response.

He wrote: "Many thanks. I am not doing any interviews this summer, but I will say (just) this: I think that the Fourth Circuit was correct and that a majority of the Supreme Court would agree."

The 4th Circuit court AGREED with the Obama subsidies.

Ken
Your irrelevency is no more relevant this time.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, because the premise that the government can improve health care has absolutely no basis in reality.
They could if that is what they wanted. They don't.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Your irrelevency is no more relevant this time.
So what is the relevancy of your link? It was YOUR LINK after all. I just quoted what was in it.

Ken

Old 07-23-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
So what is the relevancy of your link? It was YOUR LINK after all. I just quoted what was in it.

Ken
My link shows why the supreme court will take the case and why they will rule against the actions taken by the IRS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies