Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:08 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was going to say something very similar. "God (Christian/Bible), Guns (), Gays (). It is ALL the social issues turning them off, especially since the GOP and the Religious Right are now one and the same. Just look at all those polls. Millenials are the least religious demographic. "Spiritual, Non-Religious" I think is the term used. How can you say to them gay marriage is evil and goes against "sacred, holy marriage between one man and one woman" when they don't believe in an organized religion, or book, which says that? It is the complete social package and not only Gay Marriage. You could add women's right to this issue also.

They might agree on the Economic issues, but it will not end with only that. Unintended consequences?
You act like all young people are hipster granolas. They aren't. Being against guns makes young people look like wimps. I actually think the perception these days if you are a liberal young guy then you are wimpy.

I mean, would young men rather be associated with this:

Or this:

I personally wouldn't want to be associated with the second guy-same with many other young people I know.

Last edited by xboxmas; 07-23-2014 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 02:45 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
With Millenials overwhelmingly in favor of gay marriage will they forgive Republicans for opposing gay marriage so strongly in the present time. And when Republicans eventually come out in favor of gay marriage (which they will purely due to electoral math) will they look beyond their previous opposition to it or is it something the Republicans will live with for a generation?
I think they will forget about it, and the GOP will be in favor of it in the 2020 election.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:25 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
This tired argument...

Yesterday's democrats are today's Republicans. Strom Thurmond and Rick Perry were previously democrats. Learn your history.
Robert KKK Byrd.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:46 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Gay marriage is a non issue now, What does my generation care more about?

Gay marriage or gas prices?
Gay marriage or border security?
Gay marriage or school choice?
Gay marriage or States Rights?
Gay marriage or lower taxes
Gay marriage or jobs?
Gay marriage or improving the economy?
Gay marriage or Gun Rights?

Gay marriage is not on the major issues that affect our lives..
Certainly not so in Oklahoma where the Christian Right strongly rule. Most Republicans young and old are quite passionately opposed to legalizing gay marriage. The rage against it so strong, it will be interesting to see if a mob tries to block the door of a courthouse when two people of the same sex try to enter it on the day issuing same sex marriage licenses is allowed to go forth.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
The people at the Washington Post, NPR, New York Times, etc. seem to be quite obsessed with gay marriage. The vast majority of the rest of the population? Not so much.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What is moderate about pretending two guys pounding each other's pooper is essentially the same as a normal sexual relationship between a man and a woman?

That's not moderate and it's not what voters care about.

The GOP needs to grow a pair and take the lead in abolishing all state sanctioned personal relationships, but let's not get confused about why Republicans lose elections.

Republicans lose elections because the Republicans in question are corporate whores who make big tax cuts for billionaires the center piece of their campaigns while Democrats shamelessly buy votes with Bridge Cards and free phones.
I still don't understand why how consenting adults who want to indulge in sex must be either your business or the state's business.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:00 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
I honestly believe the GOP as we know it is entering the final stages of its life. My fellow millennials think they're a total joke. The educated ones anyway. My friends who never went to college and still live in the same town tend to adopt and keep the views of their parents (conservative)

Even if they drop all the anti-gay bullshiat tomorrow, it's too little too late. They aren't to be trusted.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:07 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Women's rights is a huge problem for Republican's. You can't have candidates talking about "legitimate rape" have hearings on birth control without inviting any women, and actively advocate for not including birth control in health insurance coverage and then say that social issues don't matter. Social issues are huge to millennials because what else is being offered to them? We're talking about a generation that's highly educated but drowning in debt and the entering the job market with worse prospects for social and economic mobility of any previous generation.

Gay marriage is just one issue where social conservatives (not just Republicans) have shown themselves to be completely out of touch with younger voters.
Are you still on about the "legitimate rape" comment? Who cares what one stupid candidate said, especially since the GOP withdrew support of the man shortly thereafter and he didn't even win the nomination? That doesn't even come close to the most important factors in women's rights.

Also, Hobby Lobby insurance provides coverage of most birth control. It just now does not have to provide coverage for morning-after pills because they apparently feel it's life-terminating according to their religious beliefs. Not to worry though, Plan B One-Step Emergency Contraceptive is available at Walgreen's for only $49.99.

I just don't see what the big deal is. My insurance would not cover Chantix, and it's a stop smoking drug that really works (I haven't smoked in several months and quit within two weeks of taking Chantix). I paid for it myself and it was about $167.00 after applying the manufacturer's coupon I downloaded from the Chantix site. One would think a stop smoking aid would be covered since it would help reduce future medical costs for the insured, but whatever.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:16 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I still don't understand why how consenting adults who want to indulge in sex must be either your business or the state's business.

I'm not the one looking for an "us-too!" version of a marriage license.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:22 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I'm not the one looking for an "us-too!" version of a marriage license.
Yeah, the absurdity of wanting equal rights, amirite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies