Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 12:06 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Vouchers never come close to covering the costs for the best private schools in any case - although they sometimes provide enough to cover costs for Catholic schools. But in any event, republicans also advocate reducing aid for college students, and cutting money and resources from public schools, so this one is a wash.
And reducing financial aid would make it quite hard for many students. And especially with jobs being difficult to get. I knew some students who worked and received financial aid. And this was on top of some scholarships some students were receiving.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:24 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sadly, no one seems to care at all. I have this to say about it.

If the GOP wants more Black votes, this is what it can do.

1) Stop discussion the Constitution in terms of "the way it existed in George Washington's day". In George Washington's day, most Blacks were slaves. The Constitution didn't help Blacks in those days.

2) Stop talking about how one pines for the 1950s. Blacks were under the yoke of Jim Crow in those days.

3) In general, watch what you say. Politicians such as Trent Lott and Jon Hubbard are good example of things not to be said. Trent Lott with admitting his admiration for Dixiecrat Strom Thurmond. Jon Hubbard and his comment about how he thinks slavery was a blessing in disguise.

-There is more. Rick Santorum and this comment of "I don't want Blacks to be successful off of my dollars". He could have said "I want to bring jobs to people, I want to help people build businesses for themselves. I want to help you build". He could have said that to Blacks, and it would have been much more receivable.

-Newt Gingrich could have said "this is what I can do. I can campaign to spur more business growth, more jobs, that is what my plan is. I want to help bring more jobs". No, he had to say "Blacks should see jobs, not food stamps". The people he was addressing were not even considering food stamps. However, Newt Gingrich made an erroneous assumption that all Blacks wanted were food stamps.

4) Sit down and listen to what Black voters have to say. That helps alot. If you ignore voters, they won't vote for you. If you listen to them, and don't treat them like outcastes, you are more likely to get votes.

5) Quit talking about how "we're the party of Lincoln" and "abolition". Lincoln freed the slaves not because he was altruistic or had love for Blacks. He did it because he didn't want the British to get involved with the war. He would not have freed the slaves at all if he could help it. And the Republican Party might have started over abolition, but things have changed since then. What have you done in the last 30 years? What are you going to do TODAY??

Generally, this is the thing:
-Stop referring to how great things were in the past, or this great glory of the past. Things only started improving for Blacks in the late 1960s.
-Don't speak to Blacks as if they are some kind of burden on society. Believe it or not, many of us are hardworking people who have important values. Most of us are God-fearing people. Talking to Blacks as if they are some kind of burden will turn off the Black people who are taking care of business.
-
So, you want them to pander. No surprise there.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
So, you want them to pander. No surprise there.
So in your mind, asking people to refer to the Constitution as it exists today, not referring to Blacks as if they are a burden, and actually listening to what Blacks have to say is pandering?

Old 07-30-2014, 01:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
So in your mind, asking people to refer to the Constitution as it exists today, not referring to Blacks as if they are a burden, and actually listening to what Blacks have to say is pandering?
You've made it clear that LBJ already said you'll be voting for Democrats for the next 200 years was right. So why bother?

Unlike Obama we've told you the truth and will not lie and pander for your vote.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You've made it clear that LBJ already said you'll be voting for Democrats for the next 200 years was right. So why bother?

Unlike Obama we've told you the truth and will not lie and pander for your vote.
Again, how is asking people to refer to the Constitution as it exists today, not referring to Blacks as if they are a burden, and actually listening to what Blacks have to say pandering? No one seems able to answer that question, so the solution is to bring up all kinds of hyperbolae.

And what truth are you speaking of?

Old 07-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Again, how is asking people to refer to the Constitution as it exists today, not referring to Blacks as if they are a burden, and actually listening to what Blacks have to say pandering? No one seems able to answer that question, so the solution is to bring up all kinds of hyperbolae.

You've made it clear that LBJ said you'll be voting for Democrats for the next 200 years was right. Why bother?

What part don't you understand?

Old 07-30-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Obviously I'm not talking about "if you like your healthcare you can keep your healthcare period"

Old 07-30-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You've made it clear that LBJ said you'll be voting for Democrats for the next 200 years was right. Why bother?

What part don't you understand?
Why don't you just confront the questions I'm asking instead of trying to deflect the topic of discussion. Just answer the question. How is asking not to be referred to as a burden, asking people to listen, and asking people to quit referring to "the glorious past" pandering? How is referring to the Constitution as it exists TODAY pandering? How is telling people "this is what I have to offer. I can help increase job opportunities and business ownership" pandering? How is talking to people like voters instead of burdens pandering? Answer it. Don't deflect. Actually confront what I'm talking about and answer instead of bringing up LBJ. If the only thing you can do is bring up LBJ, then that shows you aren't any different than many Republicans Blacks avoid, the persons who keep bringing up the past. It also shows cowardice on your part. Just answer the questions.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Obviously I'm not talking about "if you like your healthcare you can keep your healthcare period"
Excuse me? We weren't even talking about healthcare. At least I wasn't. If you want to talk about that, different place and different time to do it. I was talking about the difference between talking to people like people vs talking to them like they are burdens on society.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,269 times
All I see are 58 pages of nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies