Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 08:18 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
African Americans are disproportionately poor, have less education, larger prison population, less economically stable.

You are arguing as if there isnt a difference between African Americans and the the populous at large. Instead of pretending there isnt a problem, how about we try to find the problem and fix it.
What I would say is that the liberal way has been tried for 50 years now with no effect. Why not try the other way?

I don't pretend to know what the problem is, but it seems to me that just as black people started gaining in society, in the workplace and in school, along comes the crack epidemic and gangs and higher incarceration rates as a result. Also around that time it became much more common and acceptable for people to have babies without getting married to the fathers. How much of that do you think is responsible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 08:24 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
From Julian Bond.

Quote:
The NAACP has always been non-partisan, but that doesn't mean we're non-critical. And it doesn't mean we're non compos mentis.

We don't oppose political parties; we never have. We oppose wrongful policies...

Transcript of Julian Bond's Speech During 96th Annual Convention | Press Room | NAACP

So according to JB there should have been no problem with those conservatives being there.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,548 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Effects of Immigration on African-American Employment and Incarceration

Pretty basic economics where you have more competition for lower skilled jobs....it suppresses wages and employment rates in those segments.

Seriously, I cannot believe you asked that question.
Your link argues that no other jobs will be created with an influx of new people, people who need both housing ans services.

Your link argues that people who could(not would) lose their jobs would turn to crime instead of looking for a new job and that those people would then be arrested at a higher rate.

The most recent case of immigration reform in this country came in the 1980s. Did black unemployment go up then ? no. Black unemployment peaked right after the bill was signed a 14.9 a year later it was at 12.6, and a year after that it was 11%. Infact, Black unemployment never hit that high point again until August of 2009.

So yes, i question the motives of an anti immigration group saying the immigration hurts black people.

And before you respond to me, search my profile. I have never been in favor of immigration reform, but bias is bias.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What I would say is that the liberal way has been tried for 50 years now with no effect. Why not try the other way?

I don't pretend to know what the problem is, but it seems to me that just as black people started gaining in society, in the workplace and in school, along comes the crack epidemic and gangs and higher incarceration rates as a result. Also around that time it became much more common and acceptable for people to have babies without getting married to the fathers. How much of that do you think is responsible?
1. As I already stated, the majority of African Americans live in Red states, not blue.

The majority of African Americans have been living by conservative rules/ideology

2. The Crack epidemic happened in the 1980's(Reagan era)

Old 07-24-2014, 08:55 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
I cant speak for the entire NAACP, but at local and regional meetings, yes they do.
How about you give us some examples then?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:06 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Black conservatives would fare better going to grass roots and making tangible changes to people's lives. Attitudes change when real changes are seen and felt.

Open up a tutoring business and offer low cost services - I am considering that once I am done with my kids. Get my foot in the door and build relationships.
I think that can be helpful, but man the mainstream media has put a cobra clutch on people's minds. You see it on here, there are people who repeat the exact same things that is said daily on the news and repeat them like they are gospel. Only the ones who are open minded, willing to research and understand the material that is being taught would be impacted. Unfortunately it's not enough.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
How about you give us some examples then?
gay marriage, immigration, role of religion in government. Need more ?

Old 07-24-2014, 10:34 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
NAACP values:

Abortion is a legitimate form of birth control
Crack sales is a legitimate business
Keep then men out of the house because it impacts your benefits from the government
When in doubt pull the race card out.
Back this statement up with documented evidence. I find this fallacious.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:57 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
1. As I already stated, the majority of African Americans live in Red states, not blue.
No, they don't. You've been called out on that falsehood before. You should learn from your mistakes, not keep repeating them.

//www.city-data.com/forum/35628131-post167.html

Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I don't know why Black COnservatives do this to themselves, why do they consistently try "fit in" with black liberals and black liberal oriented organizations....they need to start their own and go where they are wanted...the black democratic community is what it is...and will remain where it is for a long time to come...

“I’ll have those ni**ers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” —Lyndon B. Johnson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies