Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Oh wahhh... Lets see.. You complain about Obama taking vacation, yet Bushie AND the demigod Reagan both took waaaaaaaay more than any recent Democratic presidents?! Reagan takes a 25 day extended vacation when the unemployment rate was 9.5%!!!.

So now you deflect and start whining about big screen t.v.'s?? Are you serious?

Dude- don't let the facts hit you in the arse on your way out the door. You, and you're ilk, are the very reason I left the GOP many years ago. As an independent I can see the BS spewing from both sides.. Apparently you're blind to it. What is it? Hate? Rage? Skeered they're gonna take yur guns?
Well said! Good to see another Independent joined the ranks of the thinking, happens almost every time someone finally throws off the yoke of Party loyalty. And the best thing is as an Independent you are allowed to see ALL the flaws within our government and that neither side as all the answers or are 100% to blames for all the problems. Which, tada; leads to someone that is more informed and is willing to vote for the people that are best for the Nation instead of marching into a voting both ignorant of the issues and simply voting straight ticket like some mindless drone. Conservative leaning or Liberal leaning, either way a belated welcome back the world of the living. Oh, and if you had not noticed many will be unhappy that you do not just accept whatever Party Line is the flavor of the day without question and you will be attacked for that free thinking, wear the attacks with pride, it means you are doing the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Texas has been on a roll for a long time. Its positives have nothing to do with the White House.
And nothing to do with the Governors Mansion.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Sorry, I am a Republican and I don't recall flowing down the racist river. Neither are most of the Republicans or Democrats that I know. Maybe you live in an area that is not representative of the nation as a whole?
I'm white.

SO, because "Liberal" isn't tattooed on my forehead, right wingers often imagine that I'm a right winger too (by virtue of being white), and unknowingly let their racist down with me. Nothing quite like a right winger letting his racist down with a person he somehow thinks is right wing too - but she turns out to be his nemesis.

I know most right wingers publicly claim not to be racist. But then when you're alone with them, OMG - the sh** that comes out of their mouths when there are only whites, is truly amazing.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:53 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,868,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Most are. It's a group dynamic. The GOP tends to be racist, so anyone that is right wing just flows right along on that racist river, without so much as a complaint.
I wouldn't say most Republicans are racists. There are many mainstream Republicans, and former Republicans, here on C-D who definitely don't fit that mold. The racists are in the subset of the GOP, today's incarnation of which goes by the moniker of the Tea Party, previously known as the Moral Majority, and before that, the John Birch Society. It's that far right wing of religious nuts are the racists. Go to a Tea Party rally and it becomes quite clear what they're truly against, and it has nothing to do with the president's policies.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:40 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This is bad, really bad. Check this out:

1. Consumer Confidence Raising!!!
U.S. consumer sentiment rises in final June reading | Reuters
As long as you think the era of Obama is all there exists and ignore the history of this index, then a really poor confidence rating looks good. Historically speaking consumer confidence is in the toilet, but go ahead and pretend otherwise.

Quote:
We have fewer and fewer people looking for work in this country, even though population is increasing. With fewer people looking for work, there are fewer people in the pool to count as "unemployed" and the unemployment numbers go down. The dropping labor participation rate and U3 unemployment rate under 0bama mirror each other.

Unemployment rate under Obama:

Labor participation rate under Obama:

Because Obama is pumping copious amounts of money into it with QE1,2,3,4,5

The rich wall Street fat cats are getting richer, while median family incomes are falling and poverty rises to a fifty year high. but whatever, as long as the rich get rich you could care less as long as the Preezy can be made to look good.

Quote:
4. Millions signed up for healthcare with Obamacare!!
Obamacare hits goal with 7.1 million sign-ups, President says - CNN.com
The ACA??? Really? You are waving around the single most disastrous piece of legislation to be signed into law by a president as if it was something to be proud of?

Quote:
5. Turned Around the US Auto Industry.
U.S. Car Sales Soar to Pre-Slump Level - WSJ
We threw tens of billions of dollars at a "too big to fail" corporation, money the American taxpayers will never get back. Chrysler is now owned by the Italian automaker, Fiat. Even though GM pays ZERO taxes, ford is still outperforming GM in profits.

Quote:
6. Overhauled the Student Loan Program.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/26/us...oans.html?_r=0
Obama nationalized student loans, and the student loan debt in the country has continued to skyrocketed. Just because you slap the term "overhauled" does not mean he made anything any better.

Quote:
don't even try to claim Obama has made things better for veterans, not after trying to force congress to reduce veteran Tri-care and pensions, and with the horrible VA heath care scandal.

Obama is not a governor

Quote:
Obama Wins The Gold For Worst Economic Recovery Ever - Forbes
At 42 months and counting, current job “recovery” is slowest since Truman was president | Pew Research Center

Quote:
10. And to top it off, he killed OBL.
Obama had to kill OBL in his pajamas in the middle of the night, because he has so destroyed our ability to capture and interrogate terrorists for critical intel, that if we had captured OBL, he's be given the right to remain silent, and all the data on his computers in his home would be denied us.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:52 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,104 times
(1) Huge increase in the SNAP program, (2) Huge increase in Medicaid and Medicare enrollees, (3) average median income has plummeted by 6% since 2009, (4) stagnated wages, (5) lack of consumer confidence, (6) corporations moving out of the country, (7) ACA - the largest tax imposed on American people against their will in history and totally partisan, (8) unemployment rate up because of massive numbers dropped totally out of the work force and are no longer counted, (9) Huge decrease in full-time employment with a huge increase in part-time employment, (10) lack of respect on the world stage.

Here's ten results of the Obama presidency we can be thankful for. There are more.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:00 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I'm white.

SO, because "Liberal" isn't tattooed on my forehead, right wingers often imagine that I'm a right winger too (by virtue of being white), and unknowingly let their racist down with me. Nothing quite like a right winger letting his racist down with a person he somehow thinks is right wing too - but she turns out to be his nemesis.

I know most right wingers publicly claim not to be racist. But then when you're alone with them, OMG - the sh** that comes out of their mouths when there are only whites, is truly amazing.
As I previously posted, I don't know where you live but that is not my experience with the people I interact with. Maybe you need to find new acquaintances.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:24 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,228,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
As long as you think the era of Obama is all there exists and ignore the history of this index, then a really poor confidence rating looks good. Historically speaking consumer confidence is in the toilet, but go ahead and pretend otherwise.
Rome is not built in one day. It always take longer to repair something than to break it. The Republicans wrecked this economy for almost a decade, it's going to take time to fix it. But as your graph shows, things are improving, which is exactly what is required of Obama.

Quote:
We have fewer and fewer people looking for work in this country, even though population is increasing. With fewer people looking for work, there are fewer people in the pool to count as "unemployed" and the unemployment numbers go down. The dropping labor participation rate and U3 unemployment rate under 0bama mirror each other.

Unemployment rate under Obama:

Labor participation rate under Obama:
There are always people who dropped out of the workforce - under Bush, Reagan, Clinton, Nixon, Ford, etc, etc. Comparing apples to apples, the unemployment is the lowest since the economy crashed. NO amount of spin from you is going to change that fact, sorry.

Quote:
Because Obama is pumping copious amounts of money into it with QE1,2,3,4,5

And IT WORKED right?? Right??

Me: "Hey the San Antonio Spurs won another championship."

You: "Pssss! That's only because they accumulated a lot of talent and they spend a lot of money putting together that team!!"

Me: "It worked. What is your problem?"

Quote:
The rich wall Street fat cats are getting richer, while median family incomes are falling and poverty rises to a fifty year high. but whatever, as long as the rich get rich you could care less as long as the Preezy can be made to look good.
LOL, that's our stance!! When did the conservatives start caring about the middle class??

Yes, the rich is getting richer and the poor is getting poorer. Thanks to the Republicans. If you want to reverse this trend you should join the Democratic party.

Quote:
The ACA??? Really? You are waving around the single most disastrous piece of legislation to be signed into law by a president as if it was something to be proud of?
How clueless. How Republican.

Quote:
We threw tens of billions of dollars at a "too big to fail" corporation, money the American taxpayers will never get back. Chrysler is now owned by the Italian automaker, Fiat. Even though GM pays ZERO taxes, ford is still outperforming GM in profits.

I don't see a point. The US Auto industry is bouncing back, nothing you said even remotely tried to dispute that. I'm assuming you have no evidence you can use to dispute.

Quote:
Obama nationalized student loans, and the student loan debt in the country has continued to skyrocketed. Just because you slap the term "overhauled" does not mean he made anything any better.

Obama cut out the middleman. I thought that's one thing that a conservative would understand. Guess I'm wrong.

Quote:

don't even try to claim Obama has made things better for veterans, not after trying to force congress to reduce veteran Tri-care and pensions, and with the horrible VA heath care scandal.

Oh, but it is better. It's not where it needs to be but it's better under Obama than under Bush. Just goes to show how bad things were before.

Quote:

Obama is not a governor

Nope, he's the President. Which is an even more vital and important position to the health of the country, wouldn't you say?

LOL. And who are the people obstructing the recovery every step of the way??

Republicans Voting Against Stimulus Then Asked Obama for Money - Bloomberg

Why did the GOP turn against stimulus? Ask a psychologist.

Boehner to GOP: Vote against stimulus

Economist: Obama Stimulus Not Enough - CBS News

Quote:
Obama had to kill OBL in his pajamas in the middle of the night, because he has so destroyed our ability to capture and interrogate terrorists for critical intel, that if we had captured OBL, he's be given the right to remain silent, and all the data on his computers in his home would be denied us.
Where is the nut-job icon when I need it??

Old 07-25-2014, 11:44 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,730,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I wouldn't say most Republicans are racists. There are many mainstream Republicans, and former Republicans, here on C-D who definitely don't fit that mold. The racists are in the subset of the GOP, today's incarnation of which goes by the moniker of the Tea Party, previously known as the Moral Majority, and before that, the John Birch Society. It's that far right wing of religious nuts are the racists. Go to a Tea Party rally and it becomes quite clear what they're truly against, and it has nothing to do with the president's policies.
I think it's not merely a matter of outward racism (though there is an awful lot of that). There is also a tendency to disregard the suffering of others, and that includes people who are living with racism.

There are several issues that I take umbrage with when it comes to right wingers, be they tea partyists, Republicans, Ayn Rand Libertarians, fundamentalist Christian right wingers, and so on. The most important one in my view (the umbrella one I'd call it), is their overall disregard for the suffering of others. Do they care how their policies affect human beings? Not really.

I hear from right wingers an awful lot of (paraphrasing here), "pull yourself up by your bootstraps regardless of what the situation is," "it's nobody else's problem if you're going through difficulties and I don't care how you got there, it's your fault," and "the rich and corporations are guiltless, are not corrupt, and should be thanked because only due to them does this country have jobs."

It's a demented way of looking at life, an unrealistic and rather savage way of viewing things.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Really? Paul Volcker, a DEMOCRAT, was unanimously known as the architect ending stagnation. He was appointed by Carter and REAPPOINTED by Reagan in 1983..

Paul Volcker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then again it MUST'VE been Reagan, the demigod's doing, lol. Revisionist BS, again.

Volker was appointed by Carter in 1979 when inflation stood at 11.89%.

Two years later, inflation was 10.95%.

That's less than a 1% decline over two years.

By contrast, once the Reagan program was put in place, inflation dropped 6 points in one year and continued downward to 2.56% the following year.

To be fair I'll credit Volker with two of the eight points that inflation declined under Reagan.

As for the explosive economic growth and booming job market, that's all Reagan's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies